Dashcam power problem

dashyyy

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hello, i have a viofo a118 dashcam and have some issues lately. it is about 4 years old. i searched forum about it but couldnt find any solution. the problem is camera is not working proper with car lighters power in car but working with a phone charger normally at home. it is just opening when i start the car but goes off in 3-4 secs and stays off, i try reopen with open/close button but it is going off in seconds again. sometimes i hear opening sound when driving but closing again. i opened the camera and there is 2 capacitors and plus a battery under the screen which is MS621FE-FL11E type. it is working proper with phone charger at home but when i connect car lighter in the car it is closing and dont open again.i will be grateful if you help me what problem is.

As a test, start the car before plugging into the power socket.

If that works then the power socket is losing power when cranking the engine. Known problem.

i already tried it, plugged out and in couple different times for test when car is already started. camera starts sometimes but usually doesnt start eventually closes. i know the thing u mentioned. thank you anyway.

Since the camera works properly when powered with the home phone charger the problem has to be either with the vehicle's power supply, or the power adapter to the camera.

I would first try a 12V to 5V phone charger. If it works then the problem is with the existing power adapter, if not them the vehicle power supply is at fault in some manner.

Since the camera works properly when powered with the home phone charger the problem has to be either with the vehicle's power supply, or the power adapter to the camera.

I would first try a 12V to 5V phone charger. If it works then the problem is with the existing power adapter, if not them the vehicle power supply is at fault in some manner.
i will try this but i guess it is going to hard to find a 12v to 5v charger, they usually 100-240v to 5v. i can try another cars lighter for check the power adapter i guess. at first i thought it is about capacitors or battery but now i see they are probably ok. thank you for information.

I have run dashcams off USB chargers n the car, but it better be a charger than can give 2-3 A on the port you intend to use for the camera, and be ware cheaper chargers will claim something along those lines but not deliver that after all.
I dont use them much these days, but in my glove box i have 6 X 2.4 A USB ports + 2 X 2 A ports + 2 X 1 A ports,,,,,, some of these i use to charge my phone in the car and my tablet when i use that for navigation.
you can of course also get a new Original power supply from viofo.

...but i guess it is going to hard to find a 12v to 5v charger...
I would imagine they would be available in the stores where phones or car accessories are sold, as it would not be uncommon for someone to want to charge their phone or other device while driving.

I was thinking of something like this which should be fairly inexpensive:

yes, then you just need a good USB cable too with the correct plugs, with cables not least there are a lot of garbage out there, be that HDMI / Display port / USB and so on.

Coincidentally Linus just released a video testing cables.

My next check would be the power adapter size/depth.

Quite a few car manufacturers have deep power sockets and some adapters only just touch the bottom, or not at all.

I have about half a dozen power adapter USB converters and 4 of them are useless as they don't make contact, or, the slightest movement and they disconnect.

I have run dashcams off USB chargers n the car, but it better be a charger than can give 2-3 A on the port you intend to use for the camera, and be ware cheaper chargers will claim something along those lines but not deliver that after all.
I dont use them much these days, but in my glove box i have 6 X 2.4 A USB ports + 2 X 2 A ports + 2 X 1 A ports,,,,,, some of these i use to charge my phone in the car and my tablet when i use that for navigation.
you can of course also get a new Original power supply from viofo.
thank you for information, it would be better for me to get a usb charger for dash cam because it will be the fastest solution i guess. probably the original power supplys deliver time will be longer than buy a usb charger.

I would imagine they would be available in the stores where phones or car accessories are sold, as it would not be uncommon for someone to want to charge their phone or other device while driving.

I was thinking of something like this which should be fairly inexpensive:

i am not familiar about electronic devices much. to be honest i first taught i should take car for an car electrician for make a direct connection dashcam without lighter. now it looks like an usb charger going to solve my problem fast and cheaper way. the charger you sent the link looks like a good deal for this price. thank you.

My next check would be the power adapter size/depth.

Quite a few car manufacturers have deep power sockets and some adapters only just touch the bottom, or not at all.

I have about half a dozen power adapter USB converters and 4 of them are useless as they don't make contact, or, the slightest movement and they disconnect.
i should take with me the original charger when i am going to buy a new usb charger for comparing sizes then, thank you.

i bought a new charger and usb cable today, problem solved camera working proper now. thank you all for your help and advices.

Back