SGGCX2PRO+ beeps occasionally and repeatedly when switching to parking mode

Deacon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t know what the beeps mean, exactly, but during a drive the X2PRO+ with a rear cam attached will give a little double beep. I’d like to know what that may mean. Also, when switching to parking mode it will often sound off a series of double beeps, almost like there’s a card problem, but from what I can tell everything SEEMS to be fine. I haven’t noted exactly how many beeps there are, not sure if that makes a difference in what it’s trying to tell me.

Clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

It would be a good idea to test the memory card if the camera are unstable, how long have you run that memory card ?

I think i need to do the same with my K2S side system, i will retrieve its memory card later on.
Some times lately when driving i hear it give its startup announcement and the GPS connected MSG, and i am like half a hour into my drive. :unsure:

It would be a good idea to test the memory card if the camera are unstable, how long have you run that memory card ?
It does it (rarely either way) with both the 128GB EVO Select I’ve been using for about 3 years and the new 256GB version I just got a couple weeks ago.

Beeping while driving almost always means the memory card can't keep up and is writing. It wouldn't be uncommon for the card to appear ok via computer but failing in a dashcam for recording. I would test with a new card right away to confirm or rule out.

I am going to have to second Jon here. (y) but it is easy for us to say as we have new cards at hand to play with, most consumers dont, even if carrying a spare card is highly recommended.
And things can get even more spooky with memory cards, i had a card ( one of 3 similar cards from Kingston ) but that one card would not work in one of my cameras, but the other two similar cards was fine, and the "joker" card also tested fine, and worked just fine in other cameras.

Sadly the only safeguard we have today against things like this is warranty on the card, CUZ i am not aware of a card brand or model that cant throw something strange in your face, and some times days / hours after you put it to use.
Problem is getting warranty on a card that according to tests have no faults, that might be hard to do.

You might actually have the best luck if your memory card came from SG as part of your camera buy.

Thanks! I think y’all may be right. I tried it in the tester and it was writing at about 1.6MB/sec. I thought maybe it was an issue with the card reader built into my Dell laptop, so popped in a 128GB version of the same card, and it was writing at 10x that. I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be a counterfeit card as it was supposed to be sold by Amazon directly, not a mystery third party. I contacted them, and they’re sending out a replacement to exchange it.

There shouldn’t be any issue with a 256GB card, right? I seem to recall it was supposed to work with that, even larger like 512GB if I recall correctly.

I tried it in the tester and it was writing at about 1.6MB/sec.
Interesting. Some time back I had the same issue with a brand new card (Samsung EVO Select 512GB). Doing a low-level format with SDFormatter fixed the issue.

"SDFormatter" is the official tool of the SD Card manufacturer's association and resets all SD cards to their exact as-manufactured condition. It has a "full overwrite" option which scans the entire card for major errors, and will repair those if it can. It will not format cards over 32GB to fat32, so you may need a separate utility for that. This is what to run first.

Once it's done "h2testw" can do a full overwrite, verifying that the entire card can both be written to and read. "Crystaldiskmark" can do the same as well as testing writing and reading speed for all sectors of the card. Run either or both of these next. Compare read and write speeds to specs for the card being tested

Run these tests on all new cards to verify it's not a fake. Also run these tests on any card you suspect may have a problem. There are memory repair utilities which can sometimes "fix" a card which is failing but in my experience those repairs do not last, although they may work long enough to get a new card shipped to you.

Phil

Just an aside question: Do we know if the Samsung Evo Select is compatible with StreetGuardian Cameras? Second, SDFormatter as others suggested. The only other test would be to try another brand card to see if the issue resolves.

Ideally though, the formatting of the SD card (overwrite) would resolve your issue.

For USA orders, We use Samsung EVO Select U3 cards in the 512GB bundles. (For a few years now).
256GG and below we bundle Sandisk High Endurance U3

For USA orders, We use Samsung EVO Select U3 cards in the 512GB bundles. (For a few years now).
256GG and below we bundle Sandisk High Endurance U3

Well then, formatting the card with an overwrite test would be ideal. Can't imagine he has 2 bad cards, so hopefully that'll solve his issues. After a while, we all know that the cards can develop errors if not formatted. Which helps keep them working long term.

After a while, we all know that the cards can develop errors if not formatted.
This is something I put in the category of 'urban legend'. I've been hearing and reading this for years now (long before I got my first dash cam) and have yet to see a single credible source explaining why or how - just the same dire warning regurgitated over and over ad nauseam.

I only reformat my dash cam cards when updating the F/W, and then only in case there's something in the new version that wouldn't like the 'leftovers' from the prior version. I've been using the same flash memory in my digital cameras for years now and have never reformatted and have not had a single problem.

If you, or anyone, has a link to a credible source explaining why and how errors are prevented I'd love to see it.

This is something I put in the category of 'urban legend'. I've been hearing and reading this for years now (long before I got my first dash cam) and have yet to see a single credible source explaining why or how - just the same dire warning regurgitated over and over ad nauseam.

I only reformat my dash cam cards when updating the F/W, and then only in case there's something in the new version that wouldn't like the 'leftovers' from the prior version. I've been using the same flash memory in my digital cameras for years now and have never reformatted and have not had a single problem.

If you, or anyone, has a link to a credible source explaining why and how errors are prevented I'd love to see it.

I don't think anyone is claiming the camera itself is creating errors, but that multiple writes and rewrites can cause errors to develop. I consider Transcend to be a reputable source as it's a global manufacturer of memory cards.

Dashcams usually perform read/write tasks extensively, which is why memory card errors occur after lots of use.

For the best recording performance, we suggest that you format the memory card quarterly

Aside Note: I've had cards act up every now and again after long term use, and doing an overwrite / low level format solves the issue.

Last edited:
I’d avoid transcend. We had a LOT of customers report the beeping problem as soon as the Transcend card is full. Their older cards were ok not sure what they changed. We switched to Sandisk High Endurance U3 and Samsung EVO U3 a few years back and had very good results long term so far. Any brand card can fail early though.

A few reasons to format cards in camera more often is especially for Mac users. Mac OS leaves a bunch of hidden files on the card that can potentially trip things up. As good practice, It’s always recommended to format the card any time you’ve accessed the card via Mac or Windows. Some cards slow down over time and running the SD Formatter app (“overwrite” option) can get it going again. There are other reasons to format often Rick (Jokiin) has posted about many times but don’t have a historical link handy to it. I tell customers to put it in their calendar to format in-camera at least twice a year if you completely set it and forget it long term.

As good practice, It’s always recommended to format the card any time you’ve accessed the card via Mac or Windows.
I always do. The full format option in the SD Formatter utility was taking ages at 0% on the 256GB so I canceled it and popped it back in the cam (and formatted there) while I await the replacement arriving tomorrow.

I’ve had several 128GB versions with zero issues, but this 256GB card was having trouble right out of the package.

I’d avoid transcend. We had a LOT of customers report the beeping problem as soon as the Transcend card is full. Their older cards were ok not sure what they changed. We switched to Sandisk High Endurance U3 and Samsung EVO U3 a few years back and had very good results long term so far. Any brand card can fail early though.

A few reasons to format cards in camera more often is especially for Mac users. Mac OS leaves a bunch of hidden files on the card that can potentially trip things up. As good practice, It’s always recommended to format the card any time you’ve accessed the card via Mac or Windows. Some cards slow down over time and running the SD Formatter app (“overwrite” option) can get it going again. There are other reasons to format often Rick (Jokiin) has posted about many times but don’t have a historical link handy to it. I tell customers to put it in their calendar to format in-camera at least twice a year if you completely set it and forget it long term.

I only used their link to explain to @DT MI that manufacturers recommend cards be formatted because after multiple reads and writes, errors can develop. By no means would I utilize their cards in a dash cam. But I wanted to show him a "reputable source".

I always do. The full format option in the SD Formatter utility was taking ages at 0% on the 256GB so I canceled it and popped it back in the cam (and formatted there) while I await the replacement arriving tomorrow.

I’ve had several 128GB versions with zero issues, but this 256GB card was having trouble right out of the package.

Try this program: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

If it won't format (try letting it run overnight), it's likely the card failed.

Back