Viofo A229 Pro (unboxing & first impressions) (Novatek NT96529, Sony IMX678/IMX675/IMX307, HDR³, GPS⁴, 5Ghz WiFi, 4k front + 2k rear + 1080p cabin)

I think that a female 3.5 mm jack on a PCB take up more space than a USB - C would, but on the other hand size are not really a question in dashcams as i see it
Most are plenty small, and could be a little larger if need be, but i would then hope they go for a deeper housing with a layered PCB instead of just spreading out in with and height.

Anyway this silly old bloke are still a firm believer in the remote setup, where size on the main unit are for sure not at all a problem, and i stupidly refuse to accept that systems like that are not selling very well for some reason.

The problem I see with the 3.5mm at the moment is its location in regards to the memory card. Bad arrangement. You will need to leave slack in the 3.5mm cable or unplug it
in order to get to the memory card. Not ideal but livable.

The problem I see with the 3.5mm at the moment is its location in regards to the memory card. Bad arrangement. You will need to leave slack in the 3.5mm cable or unplug it
This is a fair point, I haven't needed to get to the microSD card cos I use wifi. But for those that do like microSD-ing it, then I could see this becoming an issue. Oh and for firmware updates too *sigh*

Maybe next gen they will go full USB C on it.
I wish it would have stayed a 2-CH Rear camera.
That way I would still have my external microphone option.
Not to mention cutting the Bitrate down to half on the front camera.

I wish it would have stayed a 2-CH Rear camera.
That way I would still have my external microphone option.
Not to mention cutting the Bitrate down to half on the front camera.
The more the bitrate the better I agree, external mic ahhhhh I wish they'd just put stereo channel mics in these dash cams honestly

Working on the Viofo A229 Pro vs. Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro comparison as we speak.

Hopefully won't be too long now, but have been having massive rendering issues (since I was using DaVinci Resolve), but now I'm back to Premiere Pro which actually works for me!

turn off Graphics Acceleration rendering in Adobe Preferences.png

You have got the point why we use a 3.5mm port instead of the USB-C port. You can easily turn it to make space for inserting or taking out the card. Otherwise, you may need to unplug and plug the cable.

This is a fair point, I haven't needed to get to the microSD card cos I use wifi. But for those that do like microSD-ing it, then I could see this becoming an issue. Oh and for firmware updates too *sigh*

LOL, well, I am one of those people who removed the SD card several times a week to copy over select files to my PC. Since I am not using the rear camera, only the IR camera
I will likely just unplug the IR and remove the main camera from the GPS unit.

LOL, well, I am one of those people who removed the SD card several times a week to copy over select files to my PC. Since I am not using the rear camera, only the IR camera
I will likely just unplug the IR and remove the main camera from the GPS unit.
It's good to have options for sure, not gonna judge

images.jpeg

I'm only interested in the comparison of the front cameras, (STARVIS 2 IMX678).
I want to see the difference of the 57 Mbps Viofo vs. whatever the Vantrue is.
I can't say anything about the Viofo since I don't have one, but the bitrate for the N4 Pro running with 3 channels is 32Mbps for the front, 9,8Mbps for the Interior, and 9,8Mbps for the rear camera.
It should be a difference.

I can't say anything about the Viofo since I don't have one, but the bitrate for the N4 Pro running with 3 channels is 32Mbps for the front, 9,8Mbps for the Interior, and 9,8Mbps for the rear camera.
It should be a difference.
Even in one channel configuration front only 4k on the Nexus 4 Pro it's still only 32MBps. My videos should be ready soon in the next few days but I was kinda expecting more.

Maybe cos it can't push that hard...

Even in one channel configuration front only 4k on the Nexus 4 Pro it's still only 32MBps. My videos should be ready soon in the next few days but I was kinda expecting more.

Maybe cos it can't push that hard...
But even with that bitrate, it performs very well in my opinion. Plates are sharp at day and also visible at night.
The comparison will be interesting to see.

But even with that bitrate, it performs very well in my opinion. Plates are sharp at day and also visible at night.
The comparison will be interesting to see.
You're not wrong but the sky is too blue at day and yellow at night with street lights. To me seems very Samsung-ish with their colour science. Viofo has the more true to life colours.

You're not wrong but the sky is too blue at day and yellow at night with street lights. To me seems very Samsung-ish with their colour science. Viofo has the more true to life colours.
That's relevant for TV's reviews. Dashcams are for evidence purpose. So it's about details for possible evidence: visibility of traffic signs, number plates, car model, human faces... And all stuff that can be used as a prove.

I lean more towards video detail and high resolution than I do actual colour. I have sometimes wondered if a high detail, back and white image would be better
than a balance of color and detail.

That's relevant for TV's reviews. Dashcams are for evidence purpose. So it's about details for possible evidence: visibility of traffic signs, number plates, car model, human faces... And all stuff that can be used as a prove.
This is exactly it. The Vantrue looks more pleasing to the eye, but there is loss of resolved detail there.

I lean more towards video detail and high resolution than I do actual colour. I have sometimes wondered if a high detail, back and white image would be better
than a balance of color and detail.
If we lived in a black and white dashcam world, argh! haha my eyes would go bust.

Having put the ³ on the HDR, can you get the on the GPS?

Or is that asking too much :D
Your wish has been fulfilled.

The requested Viofo A229 Pro vs. Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro shoot-out is now available for your viewing pleasure: @Panzer Platform @viofo @VIOFO-Support

Back