Power cable distorts radio signal (FM)

doublep

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dash Cam
Blackview BL500
So I received my dashcam (a blackview BL500).
I am in the midst of testing it with a few different settings in day and night and will report here as soon as that is complete. But I already have an important issue.

This camera has a GPS base, to which I run a long power cable from my 12V connection. It runs up the back of the passenger seat, through the roof handle, behind the passenger visor, to the cam, installed just to the right of the rear view mirror.

Whenever I plug it in, my FM reception gets completely messed up to a point where I can't really listen to the radio anymore.

Any tips on why? And even better, any tips on curing this effect?

Yes. Or to be completely clear: I did run it straight from the 12V to the cam, I haven't tried moving the cam itself yet.
Is it a known problem, the distortion?

I have no pictures of my set-up currently, but I can arrange that later today.
What I meant was that I tested two scenarios (the camera position remained unchanged, close to the right of the rear-view mirror).

1) Cable from 12V between seats, behind passenger seat, up to roof, along side of roof, via visor, to camera.
2) Cable directly from 12V between seats, straight up to camera, hanging loose in the car. (so not behind seat or up via roof)

both resulted in similar distortion.

I am not sure what you mean with 'links to what you have'. If you mean the camera, I am not sure if I am allowed to post links of the webstore where I bought it?

Ok, understand what you mean about the cable now

I am not sure what you mean with 'links to what you have'. If you mean the camera, I am not sure if I am allowed to post links of the webstore where I bought it?

yes you can post a link to where you bought it, that's the easiest way for people to know exactly what you have

Ok thanks, it's just a process of elimination to know where the problem is, may or may not be able to resolve it though

I had the same issue with a Mini 0803 interfering with certain FM radio channels. In my case it was the 12v-5v convertor.

power cables have long been known to interfere with phone, radios etc. A shielded cable may solve the problem.

The gps seems to function even when unplugging the cable, or at least the gps icon was green in screen :)

Is it possible to get a working, shielded cable anywhere on amazon or something?

I had this problem really bad in the bus. I bought some ferrite chokes - the improvement was very minimal.
Ended up buying some wicked chilli 12v-5v adaptors
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B008CPO6X2
and the difference is phenomenal.
When I was googling the problem I read somewhere about cheap adapters not dropping voltage like a transformer (many windings to few windings) but the drop is achieved by switching - and this causes interference ?

pass. If it was for me. I'd ask google

Touche. Problem with asking Google though, is that little word 'working'. I will find shielded cables, but the won't indicate if it might work well for me, whereas here there might be people with the same experience as me.

I'll look at the chili adapters! Thanks!

Similar to you mate I use these Scosche adapters in the car now for everything as I was also finding random radio reception problems with dash cam chargers!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00E1UWA4O

Similar to you mate I use these Scosche adapters in the car now for everything as I was also finding random radio reception problems with dash cam chargers!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00E1UWA4O
This is the exact same adaptor I have on order to cure my radio interference issue so I am glad to hear it works.

David

Back