old4570

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Front: 70MAI , Ausdom A261, Mini 0826 , Rear: A118c

WOW !

I was actually wrong .
I didn't think the action cam could be worse than the dash cam ( was I ever wrong ) .
I don't think either cam is native 720 . I believe both are interpolated from possibly 480 .
Neither cam offers 1080 , forget about that .
Both cams are possibly out of focus . ( possibly ) The video is so bad , it's a little hard to tell for sure .
I would rate both as Ready for the RUBBISH BIN as they come ..
That's right , buy either and when they come , just pop them straight in the rubbish bin . ( Money well spent )
I think the video comparison says it all .

So there you go , my curiosity has been satisfied . Both cams are truly terrible .

In some cases, the price says more than any specs. :rolleyes:

Its like anything in this world .
Price is subjective .. One mans good cam is another mans rubbish cam .
It goes for everything in life , cars , boats , golf clubs , Cameras , Doctors , Bikes , roller blades , you name it . Everyone has a subjective price point .
And one of the greatest subjective hobbies is Radio Control . People get very subjective very quickly over transmitters .
You have very cheap transmitters and very expensive transmitters and room for lots of BS in-between .
And I have found ( in the case of RC ) the greatest variable to be , how deep are your pockets .
The man that can afford a $1000+ transmitter and a $1500 motor , for a $5000 model built by a pro builder ( there's another $Grand or two or more ) .
He will most likely look down on anyone with a $60 transmitter and a $150 model .. So yeah , the guy with $210 invested in the hobby is not really in the running against the guy with possibly $10G invested in one model .
And most likely not in the same income bracket either .
There are a few video's on youtube , and there could be easily over $100,000 USD of models on the flying field .
If not closer to $1/4 mill ...

I understand the $$ thing . But I still like to venture where others will not . Because you simply don't know till you actually do it ( prove it ) .
I still ask myself , is there a budget cam that's not awful ? ( And the probability is in the serious negative )
Some one ( besides me ) must be buying these cams from something other than curiosity .. ( Possibly poverty )
People buy what they can afford ..
If some one can only afford $30USD or less , surely they deserve as much consideration as the people with $100USD to spend ?
Im really not into discrimination . And a cam is a cam and needs unbiased testing / comparison .
I would love to own every last sub $30USD cam out there , and compare them all against each other .
And if they all turn out to be rubbish , then great . The data is there for everyone to see .

I buy what I buy because it interests me , and I don't rely on 3rd hand information very much ( People say lots of things - lots and lots and lots of things )
I have learned to not worry so much about opinion .. ( And yes often its right on the money ) But I like the pudding myself . ( Proof is in the pudding ) .
And for some strange reason , I like to work my way up , rather than work my way down .. ( ?? WTF is with that ? )
I must be strange for that ... All my life it's been like that , start with the cheapest nastiest and work up from there .
I did it with model airplanes ( still doing it ) , photography , archery , knives ... Always the cheap stuff first .

That reminds me ( sorry for the rant )
When I started flying control line , I purchased two lots of engines .. Super Tigre G20's and Enya 15's
I started with the Enya 15's .. Hotted them up with bits from a local engine guru ..
When those bits failed to impress , I started doing my own engine work ...
By the time the rules changed for C/L combat ( 4mm Venturi rule ) I had those Enya 15's going as fast as Hotted up Super Tigre G15's
I may have had the highest reving Enya 15's on Earth at the time , possibly ever .
Did those Enyas cost me about $22 each at the time .
Anyhow , those plain bearing , baffle piston'ed engines were pulling about 24,000 RPM on the ground on 20% Nitro ( Never did blow one up - the MK4 Enya was strong )

But that's just me , I find cheap to be fun and sometimes , just sometimes rewarding . Especially when you do stuff people think is impossible .

I am and am not Cheap !
It just depends on the priority ...
I have lots of cams that do the job well in my car and in boxes ..
So I really don't feel the need to test a $$ good cam ...

+ My other interests have a higher $$ priority .
This year I purchased a Canon 70D and a Sigma 150mm Macro lens ( I love macro )
Those are relatively high ticket items for my wallet . ( But I really wanted them )
If photobucket was not down I would post a picture .

Last edited:
Its like anything in this world .
Price is subjective .. One mans good cam is another mans rubbish cam .

I understand the $$ thing . But I still like to venture where others will not . Because you simply don't know till you actually do it ( prove it ) .
I am a good example of that. When my friend said I could keep the AT11DA I was like "what am I going to do with this?" but it turned out to be quite a pleasant surprise. Now, if you ask me "would you buy a camera like the AT11DA"? Based on its looks, specs and price (it cost him 45€-AUS $65, if I remember it correctly) the answer would most certainly be "No".

Dashcam's video looks better but is not smooth.
Looks it's skipping frames.

My 1st dashcam was a $10 C600 that has much better video than both of these after lens focus.

C600 = Thats not bad ...

I refocused my C600 as well .. But I no longer have mine .
I had a box full of cams that I took to a friends place , and I gave him some cams .
Others I have killed playing with them ..
My recent purchase of cheap action cam resulted in its death as I pulled it apart to see what was what ... ( How the heck do they assemble them ? - some one must have small hands )
So now I have a spare battery ( ? ) and a bag of spares ...

Next action cam is the V3 , next dash cam is the Hyundai H92 GPS DVR ( waited for the Oz map to be available )
The H92 should be really interesting , GPS navigation , DVR , Android 4.4.2 , should be a wonderful toy and hopefully keep me busy for a while .
Looking forward to seeing what Navigation software it runs . ( I love GPS , already have two in my car = Sat nav ( Factory ) and a double din stereo GPS unit )
I really look forward to seeing what the H92 is capable of ( Speed alert ? )

The most important thing is
A) You have a working cam to cover your proverbial
B) Perhaps you can have some fun ...

I pretty much have A covered , so at the moment I am concentrating on B ...
Hopefully the V3 action cam and the H92 will be fun .
The only other cam I am interested in is the Viofo A118 V2 . ( The Viofo A119 was a lot of fun )

Last edited:
IMG_7049_zpshldv8xfn.jpg

IMG_7050_zps6j3vyewj.jpg

IMGP1016_zpse8ai7wib.jpg

IMGP6652_zpsg1rmsitm.jpg

IMGP6653_zpsbttwnul1.jpg

Bucket is back , a small sampling of some recent photo's .

Now do the same shots from a dashcam and we'll see.

Now do the same shots from a dashcam and we'll see.
Actually , with a cam that can be focused for distance ...
When my V3 gets here I hope to be able to make it adjustable focus for just that ( real close focus for video of insects )
I have a VW 898 , and the plan was to drill some holes in the lens to make it focus adjustable .. For macro video .. ( But without a screen ? )

Hopefully the V3 will be a much easier mod , just pull the face plate off and tweak the focus .

I was surprised the Dome G90 focused this close ...
Might need focus tweaking in the future ( might be more sharpness on offer at dashcam distances )

Dashcam was hand held ... Really wants a tripod mount ....

Dashcam's video looks better but is not smooth.
Looks it's skipping frames.

My 1st dashcam was a $10 C600 that has much better video than both of these after lens focus.

wow that's excellent for $10

Back