Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai S500, A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3v2v1
After the release of their flagship in 2023, the Nexus 4 Pro, Vantrue is back again with the little brother named the S1 Pro. Featuring the Sony Starvis 2 IMX675 sensor, this dash cam promises a great video quality experience. Let's find out how it squares up (special thank you to @Jeff_Vantrue ).

Vantrue S1 Pro (Sony Starvis 2 IMX675 / Sony Starvis IMX307) Review

IMG_20240229_153112559_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20240229_153448401_HDR~2.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------
Firmware: VT-ECK301 (December 2023). I updated to this version manually via microSD, as the latest firmware was not offered to me via WiFi in the Vantrue app.
App for testing: Android version 1.0.43, obtained from Google Play Store.

NOTE: for brevity's sake I have not shown rear camera RC04 module sample videos here, please check my Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro review as it is the identical image sensor: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-channel-dash-camera-review.49696/post-601510
-----------------------------------------------------

The verdict:

After being spoiled by 4K dash cameras with the Nexus 4 Pro and the A229 Pro, it is slightly daunting to take a step back and put my critical hat back on. However, the S1 Pro does perform well as an all-in-one 2-channel solution utilising the latest Starvis 2 sensors. Vantrue excels as always by providing a complete and seamless user experience with minimal fuss - getting the basics working right and having strong firmware and customer support.

Is there room for improvement? Sure. But Vantrue has shown in the past year that it's on the right track to achieving their goals and playing with the big boys. Well done Vantrue, can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve next.

My nitpickings:

• Why are the power-in and rear-power USB-C ports both on the same side of the dashcam?
  • Would have preferred the dashcam to be powered by non-proprietary chargers (i.e. standard USB-C PD cables)
  • Could have used a higher bitrate to improve video quality, perhaps 1.5x - 2x what it is currently?
  • Slightly choppy performance in-menu perhaps due to the chipset or firmware optimisation required

The positive:
  • Comprehensive feature set for the price, with the well-respected Sony Starvis 2 sensor on-board
  • Decent rear camera sensor with the Sony IMX307
  • Sturdy build quality and springy buttons, with adequate ventilation for thermal dissipation
  • Plethora of menu options and the Starvis 2 sensor once again shines in capturing detail and licence plates
  • HDR timer available (wish we had this on the Nexus 4 Pro)

Last edited:
Vantrue S1 Pro Dash Camera Sample Footage:

Daytime Footage (front): 2.7K max bitrate, HDR off:

Daytime Footage (front): 2.7K max bitrate, HDR on:

Night Footage (front): 2.7K max bitrate, HDR on:

Night Footage (front): 2.7K max bitrate, HDR off:

Hi there
i cant see much difference between HDR on/off. Looks like Starvis 2 is pointless on low res cameras. Only avantage is maybe lower power comsumption in parking mode. Do you use parking mode. Some users reported that the screen stays on during parking mode with VT-ECK301 firmware. Thank you

i cant see much difference between HDR on/off.
Welcome to the club.

-Chuck

Welcome to the club.

-Chuck
Thank you:). Its good dashcam with loads of features and the app works flawlessly but i expected more from Starvis 2 camera. Tbh i cant see much difference between my previous Starvis 1 cam. Im driving lots of time at night i thought HDR makes difference. I increased the aperture today need to test it. Also i will change later to 60fps if HDR isnt good. Any recommendation for good front and rear dashcam with good night vision for 200$. Thank you

Thank you:). Its good dashcam with loads of features and the app works flawlessly but i expected more from Starvis 2 camera. Tbh i cant see much difference between my previous Starvis 1 cam. Im driving lots of time at night i thought HDR makes difference. I increased the aperture today need to test it. Also i will change later to 60fps if HDR isnt good. Any recommendation for good front and rear dashcam with good night vision for 200$. Thank you
STARVIS 2 & HDR only work with properly tuned firmware.
If night time driving is your priority look into the A119 Mini 2.
One for front, one for rear.

STARVIS 2 & HDR only work with properly tuned firmware.
If night time driving is your priority look into the A119 Mini 2.
One for front, one for rear.
Thank you i'll look into it

Last edited:
Hi there
i cant see much difference between HDR on/off. Looks like Starvis 2 is pointless on low res cameras. Only avantage is maybe lower power comsumption in parking mode. Do you use parking mode. Some users reported that the screen stays on during parking mode with VT-ECK301 firmware. Thank you
Starvis 2 I've found is useful for the licence plate reads at night time, that's the main benefit with its ability to negate reflections of headlights off the plates.

As much as I like the S1 Pro, with other users experiences here on the forum, it seems like it was a bit of a botched release. Also hasn't received any updates in months as opposed to other models, which leads me to believe that they are focussing on upcoming models.

Shame really because while not perfect (what dashcam is?), the Nexus 4 Pro is a strong showing from Vantrue and I'm honestly looking forward to seeing what they come up with next.

Starvis 2 I've found is useful for the licence plate reads at night time, that's the main benefit with its ability to negate reflections of headlights off the plates.

As much as I like the S1 Pro, with other users experiences here on the forum, it seems like it was a bit of a botched release. Also hasn't received any updates in months as opposed to other models, which leads me to believe that they are focussing on upcoming models.

Shame really because while not perfect (what dashcam is?), the Nexus 4 Pro is a strong showing from Vantrue and I'm honestly looking forward to seeing what they come up with next.
thank you. I was in touch with Vantrue CS and new firmware should come on in may. I presume this year :cool:

thank you. I was in touch with Vantrue CS and new firmware should come on in may. I presume this year :cool:
Fingers crossed it comes with some decent improvments

Just saw on Instagram that the S1 Pro is up for pre-order with the LTE Box. I know it's on sale but it seems to indicate that the box will be $100 - $150 AUD standalone, but unfortunately only works in the USA for now (network band support obviously).

Hoping it comes to other models like the Nexus 4 Pro at some stage soon..

Back