What wiring kit to get for Mobius 2?

ChibiSqueeze

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I'm thinking of getting the Mobius 2 for a rear dash cam. Can someone point me to the right direction for a kit that's long enough to reach from a rear window, up into the headliners, and into a fuse box under my dash?

I've seen some for the Mobius 1, but I think the connections are different on the Mobius 2, am I right?

As a dashcam, mobius 1 will be better at night.

power connection is still compatible with Mobius 1 type
It's worth noting that the orientation of the mini USB port on the back of the M2 is flipped 180deg compared to the M1. So if you buy a right angle connector the cable will point in different directions depending on which camera it's in. Depending on your installation that might affect how discreet it is.

I've run my M1 and M2 side by side at night and actually preferred the M2 recording.
The following screen grabs compare the M2 to my M1 which, by comparison, produces smoother-looking images but suffers a lot more from motion blur. These were taken at low speed in my village.
1. Mobius 1 (A-lens 90FOV) 1080p30 WDR off
2. Mobius 2 (130FOV) 1080p60 WDR off h265
3. Mobius 2 (130FOV) 1080p30 h265

View attachment 26073
View attachment 26074
View attachment 26075

I have not yet tried the M2 as a rear camera, either on its own or in comparison to the M1. After the M2 gets its first firmware upgrade I plan to start a new thread and compare the M1 and M2 in various situations (front/rear day/night etc to help buyers decide what will work best for them.

I have not yet tried the M2 as a rear camera, either on its own or in comparison to the M1. After the M2 gets its first firmware upgrade I plan to start a new thread and compare the M1 and M2 in various situations (front/rear day/night etc to help buyers decide what will work best for them.
then maybe my mobius 2 has fail or i set wrong setting. You can tell with diffirent resolution and compresstion mode too.

then maybe my mobius 2 has fail or i set wrong setting. You can tell with diffirent resolution and compresstion mode too.

some modes do look better than others, even in some of the newer beta versions, I'm sure they'll get there at some stage but still quite a lot of work to do

It's worth noting that the orientation of the mini USB port on the back of the M2 is flipped 180deg compared to the M1. So if you buy a right angle connector the cable will point in different directions depending on which camera it's in. Depending on your installation that might affect how discreet it is.

Here's the M1 and M2 side by side, ready for a quick rear view comparison on the drive home later today.
Note that the USB ports are orientated the same way if the "smooth" face is up and the "heatsink" side is down, which is what I would recommend for a discreet rear view installation. If you're using a threaded windshield mount then the M1 stays heatsink-down, whereas the M2 changes to heatsink-up.
20161007_131447.jpg
20161007_131909.jpg

I've run my M1 and M2 side by side at night and actually preferred the M2 recording.

I'd like to change my mind :oops: After today's comparison I would agree that the M1 is the better all-round camera at present. I think the M2 does have some areas where it outperforms the M1, but on the whole I think I get a better result from the M1.

I'd like to change my mind :oops: After today's comparison I would agree that the M1 is the better all-round camera at present. I think the M2 does have some areas where it outperforms the M1, but on the whole I think I get a better result from the M1.

my experience also, the M2 looks better on paper and should end up offering a much better result once they get the firmware where it needs to be, if you want a camera to set and forget right now though the M1 is currently the better of the two

I've decided not to show my M1 vs M2 side-by-side rear cam results as I don't think it's a fair comparison until the M2 gets a firmware update with metering and exposure options.

Last edited:
Here's the M1 and M2 side by side, ready for a quick rear view comparison on the drive home later today.
Note that the USB ports are orientated the same way if the "smooth" face is up and the "heatsink" side is down, which is what I would recommend for a discreet rear view installation. If you're using a threaded windshield mount then the M1 stays heatsink-down, whereas the M2 changes to heatsink-up.
View attachment 26645
View attachment 26646

How are you attaching the Mobius to the headliner? Looks very clean :)

How are you attaching the Mobius to the headliner? Looks very clean :)
I have magnets between the headliner and the car body, plus a small metal plate inside each Mobius case. There is also a layer of VHB tape between the camera and the headliner to stop the Mobius from rotating. I am lucky that the headliner in my car is at the right angle for aiming the camera out of the rear window.

Not sure whether I should be posting this here or on the other thread but thought I best reply to your comment:

I agree, having now compared the M1 and M2 over the past few weeks I agree that if you're looking for decent quality video now then M1 is the one to use in normal conditions. I've removed the M2 from my car and await firmware updates to improve the situation.

I've tried using 60fps and also h.265 with the M2 but am having considerable problems with playback of this footage plus the extremely large file sizes which are pretty much unmanageable - a 3 minute video at 60fps h.264 'Higher' is approx 900MB!

Ought to mention that the M2 is much better in terms of pulling out detail in low-light or at night but I don't do much driving at night-time so it's not really that important to me.

Will await the new and improved M2 firmware with baited breath...

I've decided not to show my M1 vs M2 side-by-side rear cam results as I don't think it's a fair comparison until the M2 gets a firmware update with metering and exposure options.
I may as well show off how good the M1 is as a rear camera, even in this example recorded at dusk. It's not up with the best performing dashcams, but for its size and price it's still hard to beat.

View attachment 26645
View attachment 26646

So for the suction cup mount which way the usb is?
The heatsink is on the bottom making it the same way the mobius 1, or am i wrong?
Need to buy the correct 90 degree angle adapter.

So for the suction cup mount which way the usb is?
The heatsink is on the bottom making it the same way the mobius 1, or am i wrong?
Need to buy the correct 90 degree angle adapter.
You can buy one 3M adhesive mount from my ebay store for Mobius M2,and it is the same 3M adhesive mount for G1W.

Back