File splitting help needed.

Imagewerx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this has been talked about at great length on many different forums regarding high resolution video cameras splitting the files up at just under 4Gb (typically at about 3.7Gb).But I have yet to read a definitve answer on this subject,i.e. only format in the camera,never format in the camera,only format to exfat,only format to FAT32 etc etc etc.Or indeed if it is actually a fault and they are actually designed to do this on purpose?
I am of course using one of the Yi recommended micro SD cards,in this case a 64Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro U3 class 10 95mb/s,but no matter what I do,it will never make files bigger than 4Gb.

I can of course join the various different files together in Premiere Pro.This will give me an almost seamless transition as it seems to lose maybe just one or two frames when the file splits.But when I'm on holiday in a couple of months,I could be taking a couple of hours of video every day for three weeks,which at just 8 minutes each I'll end up with hundreds and hundreds of separate video files.

So this is as much a management problem as anything.It'd make the job of editing them all togther a lot easier if there was a smaller number of bigger files.What is the best way of doing this with the minimum of risk attached to it?

Oh and BTW,it's a Yi 4K with the latest firmware 1.4.0.

the file size limitation is due to the FAT32 file system, if they removed this limitation and you put a 32GB or smaller card in you'd have issues as soon as you got to the limit, files can be joined without losing any frames, it might seem like an inconvenience to have so many files but they can be joined together as a batch process into one file on your computer, lots of smaller files carries less risk also, if you lost power, had a card error etc you're likely to only lose the last recorded segment, if it recorded as one long file you'd have more risk of losing it all

the file size limitation is due to the FAT32 file system, if they removed this limitation and you put a 32GB or smaller card in you'd have issues as soon as you got to the limit, files can be joined without losing any frames, it might seem like an inconvenience to have so many files but they can be joined together as a batch process into one file on your computer, lots of smaller files carries less risk also, if you lost power, had a card error etc you're likely to only lose the last recorded segment, if it recorded as one long file you'd have more risk of losing it all

Thanks for the answer.I did mean to say in the original post that I understand the danger of losing a lot more data if one big file gets corrupted than if it's split into many smaller ones.I have read (I can't remember where) that people have been getting bigger than the supposed 4 Gb file size.It'd be nice to have the choice that the file splitting could be removed or replaced if and when needed? Also if it's just FAT32 that gives this limit,why do I still get the same size limit when formatted to exFAT?

So is there not a script or some other method to switch this file splitting off if needed?

Back