Waylens

Another good reason to QUICKLY access customer feedback, a release firmware/hardware updates ASAP. Otherwise, any initial buzz and anticipation about a new product will be lost.
CRS

yeah it's kind of common with products that start life on Kickstarter unfortunately as they're often well intentioned, but miss managed or poorly executed, a lot of the time due to inexperience perhaps

...and not just the mount. Since they decided on a relatively obscure file format (.ts) which severely limits any editing of video clips (which is half the fun..sharing with friends etc) and being stuck with first generation proprietary software which is usually buggy and very limited.
CRS

ts is not obscure as such (for a dashcam it's rarely seen though), it's just a good technology misapplied, wrong tool for the job that basically has very little in the way of editing tools as the environment it is normally used in is not something that requires editing, ts (transport stream) is more commonly used when error correction is required as part of the delivery mechanism such as terrestrial digital television broadcast

interesting product.

marketed as a dashcam instead of race recording.
Waylens Secure360

https://www.waylens.com/360

all around view (365 degrees) with 4G/WiFi build in.
what do you guys think??

HARDWARE
LENS
  • f/2.0 aperture
  • 7 elements aspherical lens of high quality glass
  • Metal barrel
  • Fixed focus
CMOS SENSOR
  • Optical size 1/2.9”
  • Pixel 1.62 um x 1.62 um
  • Back-illuminated structure
  • High sensitivity
  • High dynamic range
OTHER SENSORS
  • Barometer
  • Radar
  • Three-axis accelerometer
  • Three-axis gyro
  • Three-axis magnetometer
explosion_camera_1.171c2d6.png

GPS
  • 10 Hz GPS module
IMAGE SIGNNAL PROCESSOR
  • Processing speed: 318M pixels/second
  • Scenic mode (day time)
  • Night recording mode
CONNECTIVITY
  • Wifi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
  • Bluetooth 4.0 low energy (BLE)
MEMORY
  • Micro SD card up to 256 GB (not included)
  • Memory card slot
AUDIO
  • Internal microphone
  • Speaker
explosion_base_backleft.cbb345d.png

SOFTWARE
VIDEO RECORDING
4Mega
30 FPS
  • Advanced H.264 compression and flexible rate control
  • Multiple stream encoding
ADVANCED RECORDING FEATURES
  • Auto start and stop with engine
  • Continuous recording
  • Quick start and record while parked
  • Bookmarking with remote control
ADVANCED IMAGE PROCESSING
  • Motion compensated 3D noise reduction
  • Black level correction
  • Dynamic and static defect pixel cluster correction
  • Lens shading correction
  • AE and AWB
A/V FORMATS
  • Video formats supported: H.264 BP/MP/HP Level 5.1
  • AAC-LC audio up to 48kHz
  • Motion JPEG (M-JPEG)

Seems to be more a marketing shift than something made to be more compatible with the average dashcam user :(

I don't see much use for gadgets like a barometer, accelerometer, or magnetometer in a street-driven car :p I think most of us would prefer trading those for a cost savings. Still an interesting cam for track use :cool:

Phil

As it is designed to mount low on the windscreen, that would actually make it legal here as far as i know, though we do have laws against just about anything hindering view out of the windscreen, it is recommended you put NAV units and phones down low on the windscreen.

And a lot seem to say fawk that or just be blissful unaware cuz they put their gadgets right in the middle of the windscreen,,,,,, and that is illegal but we just dont have police to uphold those rules or they just dont care.

But down low on the windscreen what go on in the back seat are pretty much a mystery so the uber drivers out there better not get too exited about this.

Im annoyed it no longer seem to be possible to find a tablet with GPS build in, and i need that cuz my tablet mostly get used as a NAV unit

Since I saw these new posts I thought I would give an update on my experience with the Waylens Horizon after about 6 months of daily use.

Waylens has continued to add features and make improvements to the camera and the apps. They take a lot of feature suggestions on their forum and implement several and customer service has been very responsive.

As for the mount, I had an older version of it and not only was it wobbly to start with, the suction cup started coming out of the mount making it horribly wobbly. It also began having trouble staying stuck to the windshield once it started getting hot outside. I emailed customer service and they sent me a replacement mount of the new variety for free. It was better, but still wobbly and still fell off the windshield from time to time.

But, since I now had 2 I felt comfortable modifying the old one to try and improve it without worrying about messing it up and having to buy another one at $50. Removed the suction cup altogether, used a couple of wedges left over from my old Mini 0806, some really strong adhesive between them and the mount, and some outdoor command strips to connect to the windshield, and I now have a small, permanent mount at exactly the right angle that is about as stable as it could be, though still a tiny bit of wobble on serious bumps or really hard turns which I think is due to compression in both the command strips and the rubber ring around where the camera attaches. Not much I can do about that other than possibly use the slightly thicker rubber ring from the old mount but that makes attaching the camera very difficult.

I moved the highlight button off the wheel and mounted with command strips to an empty spot on the dash to the left of the wheel where it is out of the way but still easy to get to.

I turned off the sounds so I no longer have annoying audio embedded in my video, but I don't get any notification sounds in the car either. Still hoping they can make that an option.

I think the OBD sampling rate has been improved as the gauges in the software seem to update more quickly now.

Video quality may have improved but I'm not really sure. I think maybe the quality is better when you just export the videos directly rather than transcode them with the overlays. It took me a while to realize that "overlay selected but all gauges off" was not the same as "no overlay", which exports very fast.

The date/time issue has been fixed.

The desktop app continues to improve with new gauges, color schemes, options, and bug fixes, but I still have issues with it crashing sometimes trying to do long or several clips with overlays, and the interface for making clips has not changed so getting a short highlight from a really long clip remains a struggle.

Since I saw these new posts I thought I would give an update on my experience with the Waylens Horizon after about 6 months of daily use.

Waylens has continued to add features and make improvements to the camera and the apps. They take a lot of feature suggestions on their forum and implement several and customer service has been very responsive.

As for the mount, I had an older version of it and not only was it wobbly to start with, the suction cup started coming out of the mount making it horribly wobbly. It also began having trouble staying stuck to the windshield once it started getting hot outside. I emailed customer service and they sent me a replacement mount of the new variety for free. It was better, but still wobbly and still fell off the windshield from time to time.

But, since I now had 2 I felt comfortable modifying the old one to try and improve it without worrying about messing it up and having to buy another one at $50. Removed the suction cup altogether, used a couple of wedges left over from my old Mini 0806, some really strong adhesive between them and the mount, and some outdoor command strips to connect to the windshield, and I now have a small, permanent mount at exactly the right angle that is about as stable as it could be, though still a tiny bit of wobble on serious bumps or really hard turns which I think is due to compression in both the command strips and the rubber ring around where the camera attaches. Not much I can do about that other than possibly use the slightly thicker rubber ring from the old mount but that makes attaching the camera very difficult.

I moved the highlight button off the wheel and mounted with command strips to an empty spot on the dash to the left of the wheel where it is out of the way but still easy to get to.

I turned off the sounds so I no longer have annoying audio embedded in my video, but I don't get any notification sounds in the car either. Still hoping they can make that an option.

I think the OBD sampling rate has been improved as the gauges in the software seem to update more quickly now.

Video quality may have improved but I'm not really sure. I think maybe the quality is better when you just export the videos directly rather than transcode them with the overlays. It took me a while to realize that "overlay selected but all gauges off" was not the same as "no overlay", which exports very fast.

The date/time issue has been fixed.

The desktop app continues to improve with new gauges, color schemes, options, and bug fixes, but I still have issues with it crashing sometimes trying to do long or several clips with overlays, and the interface for making clips has not changed so getting a short highlight from a really long clip remains a struggle.
I have yet to find a site that would have raw (not transcoded) samples. Would it be possible for you to upload something to mega.nz (or somewhere else?)

I have yet to find a site that would have raw (not transcoded) samples. Would it be possible for you to upload something to mega.nz (or somewhere else?)

Here is the same short clip all 3 ways that you can get it... Pain to get since the camera doesn't break it into chunks, had to unplug / replug it while I was driving.

Raw .ts file straight off the card - https://mega.nz/#!oq4DFLRb!yDKEIqT8VLWRrkX1gbVlSz_Bqd0T_21ZL1RXD7AMLog

Exported .mp4 file from Waylens Studio (I don't think it does any transcoding because the export happens really fast, but the file size is different) - https://mega.nz/#!FyYARILB!DOH6inN9hevntr3KL7olwqijkzgCcU-7WScwIaf0WZA

Transcoded with overlays from Waylens Studio - https://mega.nz/#!VqoAUbDI!Tjs5AskLs9Vuz0MddbRO2mX4zOw9Q1OhfxwlPnq6dfQ

Here is the same short clip all 3 ways that you can get it... Pain to get since the camera doesn't break it into chunks, had to unplug / replug it while I was driving.

Raw .ts file straight off the card - https://mega.nz/#!oq4DFLRb!yDKEIqT8VLWRrkX1gbVlSz_Bqd0T_21ZL1RXD7AMLog

Exported .mp4 file from Waylens Studio (I don't think it does any transcoding because the export happens really fast, but the file size is different) - https://mega.nz/#!FyYARILB!DOH6inN9hevntr3KL7olwqijkzgCcU-7WScwIaf0WZA

Transcoded with overlays from Waylens Studio - https://mega.nz/#!VqoAUbDI!Tjs5AskLs9Vuz0MddbRO2mX4zOw9Q1OhfxwlPnq6dfQ
Thanks. That's actually good quality - helps that video is encoded at 36Mbps.

Are you able to tell any difference in quality between the 3? They all look pretty good to me, but this was also a sunny day. On overcast days especially in the winter / fall with leafless trees everything looks way more pixelated to me.

Are you able to tell any difference in quality between the 3? They all look pretty good to me, but this was also a sunny day. On overcast days especially in the winter / fall with leafless trees everything looks way more pixelated to me.
I just looked at the first two. I would also like to see some samples at night.

I just looked at the first two. I would also like to see some samples at night.

I hardly ever drive my car at night but next time I do I'll try to remember to unplug and replug to get a short sample. Would be curious if you can see any negative impact to the video quality with the overlays and transcoding. Did you think the exported one was just as god as the .ts file?

I hardly ever drive my car at night but next time I do I'll try to remember to unplug and replug to get a short sample. Would be curious if you can see any negative impact to the video quality with the overlays and transcoding. Did you think the exported one was just as god as the .ts file?
They all looked good to me. Running ffprobe shows the third one (with overlays) is re-encoded with a slightly lower bitrate.
Code:
lac@heron:~$ ffprobe -hide_banner Desktop/Street\ -\ RAW.ts
  Duration: 00:01:30.41, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 37020 kb/s
  Stream #0:0[0x200]: Video: h264 (Main) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuv420p(progressive), 1920x1080, 60 fps, 60 tbr, 90k tbn, 180k tbc
  Stream #0:1[0x201]: Audio: aac (LC) ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 95 kb/s

lac@heron:~$ ffprobe -hide_banner Desktop/Street\ -\ EXPORTED.mp4
  Duration: 00:01:30.01, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 36120 kb/s
  Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (Main) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1920x1080, 36021 kb/s, 60 fps, 60 tbr, 90k tbn, 180k tbc (default)
  Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 93 kb/s (default)

lac@heron:~$ ffprobe -hide_banner Desktop/Street\ -\ OVERLAYS.mp4
  Duration: 00:01:30.25, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 30563 kb/s
  Stream #0:0(und): Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuv420p, 1920x1080, 30461 kb/s, 60 fps, 60 tbr, 90k tbn, 120 tbc (default)
  Stream #0:1(und): Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 93 kb/s (default)

It would be the slightest problem. I have friends in USA. Maybe I buy it to them and then send it to me;) the problem is to know if it's worth it or not. On paper is an interesting product ...

Inviato dal mio VIE-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

I am getting one. The wifi version. Deliver in Nov. Still a few months to come...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Dash Cam Discussion 24
Yooshaw Dash Cam Discussion 12
Back