Shorts365

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So, I was one of the one that pre-ordered this camera with much anticipation on Indieogo thinking it would be the best thing since sliced bread. The company did a great job marketing on their funding page, and it all seemed really good specs wise. Their previous camera the Waylens Horizon is well known as a great performance-capture dashcam for car racing enthusiasts, so I had a good feeling about this 360.

Unfortunately, after many, many, many months of delays when I finally received the camera the video quality I would have to say it pretty horrible. In bright daylight I can't even read license plates right in front of the car. At best, it serves as a side-view-to-front-view experience camera where I can show the context of a side-swipe accident if that occurred.

I also have a Thinkware f770 (front and rear) and the Thinkware is night and day miles ahead of the Waylens in terms of video quality.

It must be the bitrate the video is recorded at or something, but the Waylens shows a lot of visible artifacts and just feels like a crappy $50 Chinese dashcam off Amazon or something.

It's disappointing, but I thought I'd share my experience with you guys in case someone was thinking about getting the camera since it's now available for purchase.

I'm going to attach some links to the Waylens footage I uploaded to Youtube so you can see a general sense of what I mean.

Video #1 Parking Mode in Daylight:

Video #2 Driving Footage in Daylight:

I can show the night time mode if anyone is curious. The camera goes into black and white and it looks similar to a thermal camera footage.

I'm curious to see the night time.

But yeah, the footage seems bad.
What were your settings at?

Even if the video quality were far better than it is I believe the concept of this camera is essentially flawed. Imagine what it might feel like if you were involved in an incident where the rear facing video capture was mission critical, only to discover that one of the passengers in the car just happened to be blocking that one aspect of the event that was vital to record?

Also, I'm not a fan of recording video and audio of myself and my passengers like this. We live under such a degree of surveillance in our society already that I wouldn't wish to self inflict it to this degree. For many of us the cabin of an automobile is a kind of safe quiet cocoon for private undisturbed conversations.

Last edited:
Might work better upside down on the ceiling, with such a low viewpoint you haven't got a clue how close the other cars are getting to scratching your paintwork, would be useless as evidence for minor scratches!

Might work better upside down on the ceiling, with such a low viewpoint you haven't got a clue how close the other cars are getting to scratching your paintwork, would be useless as evidence for minor scratches!

Interesting idea. I wonder if you can flip the image? Perhaps a worthwhile firmware addition?

That kind of setup is pretty useless unless you have lots of megapixels.

Not much detail in those videos, make me think of old 720p camera ( maybe even worse )

We live under such a degree of surveillance in our society already that I wouldn't wish to self inflict it to this degree. For many of us the cabin of an automobile is a kind of safe quiet cocoon for private undisturbed conversations.

I will agree with DM on this, and add that if there is to be surveillance of me, then i prefer to be the initiator and the one sharing it at my leisure, but scatter gun surveillance of everyone in the name of something dubious, well that i can not tolerate.
The latest google news ( them tracking you though you have it set to off ) well things like that do not do good for my already bad feelings for that company.
And i sure dont understand why news like that haven't made google stock plummet on the exchange, IMO their stock should have at least dropped 10% over news like that, sales too.

I have a video up of myself from my cabin camera, but it is private and only posted in here when i think people can take something good from it, otherwise i would not really like to post pictures or video of myself.

Last edited:
Google does a lot of circumspect monitoring when you deny them the direct route. Devious and unscrupulous has always been their private motto :cautious: but it has made them rich. That says many things about them and this world too. The vids shown are atrocious, and almost useless for normal dashcams purposes. Wide coverage can be good, but only when it's clear and not overly distorted.

In my big long van, a cabin cam center front would assist in rear side coverage, as well as serve to help protect the rear doors since the rear cam would be easy to outsmart where it's mounted. Since I almost never have a passenger I wouldn't be bothered by it. I tell my passengers they may be on my cams, mostly to see their reactions, even though all my cams are pointing out :rolleyes: The way things are today, best to not expect privacy unless you fully control the places it can be lost.
Smile slightly and say nothing suspicious then maybe BigBrother will leave you alone. Unless your name is Winston Smith :sick:

Phil

And Google's company motto is "Do No Evil"! :rolleyes::mad::cry:

It was reported yesterday that "Google tracks your movements, like it or not!"

there was a similar test done to this before and they used brand new handsets, one didn't even have a SIM card and they both tracked everything, in some cases the phone without a connection collected even more data, was quite interesting, will see if I can find the link

personally I don't care about the tracking that happens as I need the functionality a smartphone offers but can see why people might not care for it

I use my iPad mini for connectivity seperate from phone services. Gives me everything I need with much enhanced privacy and security. You may rationalize that it's worthwhile but you give up far more than you think you are getting, especially for a guy who does business in China. Best of luck with this philosophy in the long run.

Privacy is a tricky subject.

Most people believe they have a lot more privacy than they actually do.
Personally, while I am a private person who doesn't share a lot on social media, I welcome new data points.

For things like AI to really grow to a place that would change peoples lives for the better, it needs more of the data that we don't share.
More of the data for things we're not even really aware of.

At the end of the day, I think the concern should be more about trusting the right provider with the data.

So who do you trust more, your own gov't or companies who can transcend gov't due to their reach and influence?

If you was just given a chance to opt out, and then after that extraordinary challenges wasent put in front you just cuz you opted out.

I really dislike the moment i turn my phone GPS off the phone say well then you cant find the phone if you loose it,,,,,, but i dont care about that, loosing a phone are a good reason to get a new one, and beside i have never lost a phone just ruined a few by dropping them.
I cant even think of a person in my circle that have lost a phone.

I am having problems with verified by visa when i shop online, cuz to get that to work i need some of that digital BS the Danish gooberment have put out, and i just cant do that as i cant recall a single case of a gooberment IT initiative not failing or have a inadequate level of security.
So in those verified by visa cases i have to use paypal or not shop there.

I was wondering, can you even get a android phone to work without having or creating some account / use some e- mail address ?

So who do you trust more, your own gov't or companies who can transcend gov't due to their reach and influence?

There is much we can't control about what data corporations collect about us but willingly placing our privacy in the trust of these corporations expecting them to ultimately honor that trust is a fool's errand. Time and time again we learn the hard way that corporations are motivated by profits, not altruism, the common good, or their better angels.

Try reading the privacy policy in its entirelty of virtually any corporation doing business on the internet to get a true, jaw dropping sense of exactly what rights to privacy you are actually signing away.

And even if the company honor our trust, some punk hackers will hack them and take all our info and sell it for peanuts to be abused by criminals.
I would rather pay a 100 DKkr / mo subscription for google, and then have my shi,,, stuff alone, i do get that when something are "free" you are the product, it have been this way in Denmark since long before the internet.
And nothing really are free, you might now enjoy a nice walk out in the free nature, but the rate we are going then even nature are not really free, it now have a cost or it will be gone.

Would you guys change your tune if the companies we're paying you for your data?
As you said, @Dashmellow corporations goal is $$$ at the end of the day.
But if they're using that money to find ways to increase the standard of living across the globe, it's just a double edge sword.
Without risk, there's no reward.

There will always be negatives and positives, but we've been living in a fear-mongering society so I understand why privacy is so important to some people.
However, for the average person - being more open with the kinds of data they share could change their lives for the better.

From health to smarter day to day decisions.

Sure, I don't want to be tagged like a cow but at the same time... there's a lot of potential benefits.

Here's a related article, from 2015 that may be an interesting read.

Also, rip waylens360 thread 2018-2018

@DashOto, you remind me of a guy who showed up for one of our weekly hiking group outings spouting that, "I have NOTHING TO HIDE" when the topic of internet privacy came up in conversation. He accused everyone who expressed a concern for the privacy of their data of being paranoid, or indeed having something to hide. So I asked him to give me his wallet. "Why the hell do you want my wallet?", he exclaimed. I said, "I just want to look through it". NO WAY!!, that's private!", he blurted out. Everybody chuckled. "But I thought you had nothing to hide", I said.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lacibaci Dash Cam Discussion 35
Yooshaw Dash Cam Discussion 12
Back