A229 Pro, when?

Rough translation from Russian to English: "FOR GOD'S SAKE, RELEASE IT ON OZON ALREADY, PLEASE"

OZON is similar to Amazon, I believe.

OZON

Yes, please @viofo make a 1M cable for the A229 Pro REAR camera.
The 6M REAR camera cable is just too much to tuck in the headliner for those users that want to mount the front unit, and the REAR camera on the same window.
Please, please, please.

@viofo can you please offer a 1-meter cable for the A229 Pro rear camera? Like @Panzer Platform mentioned above, I'm mounting both the front and rear camera on the same window.
Thank you.

I'm mounting both the front and rear camera on the same window.
Since the HDR of the rear camera is always on and there is no way to turn it off, the rear camera on the windshield is of no use during the day.
But the interior camera does its job very well on the windshield both day and night.
This topic contains screenshots from the interior and rear cameras installed on the windshield.

Since the HDR of the rear camera is always on and there is no way to turn it off, the rear camera on the windshield is of no use during the day.
But the interior camera does its job very well on the windshield both day and night.
This topic contains screenshots from the interior and rear cameras installed on the windshield.

Are you referring to this post in particular? https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a229-pro-video-and-screenshots.50019/page-2#post-612518 -- maybe not, given these are screenshots at night?

I'm not sure I understand what the issue is with HDR on in the rear camera during the day. Ghosting/blurry license plates?

Wouldn't this issue also happen when using the rear camera in the rear window too?

My plan is to put two A229 Pros 2CH in my car, two in the front, and two in the rear. I'd like to have one of the front cameras in the rear window instead of prioritizing only the front, if that makes sense.

My plan is to put two A229 Pros 2CH in my car, two in the front, and two in the rear. I'd like to have one of the front cameras in the rear window instead of prioritizing only the front, if that makes sense.
Having a 4K camera at both front and back makes sense.

From what you have written, it appears that you intend to have a 4K front and 2K rear both facing forwards at the front, and presumably a 4K front and 2K rear both facing backwards at the rear, and that doesn't make much sense. Maybe clarify what the rear cameras will actually be looking at? If they are looking at the interior of the car then that does make sense, and you will want the rear camera HDR On at all times for that purpose, which is what the firmware currently does, there is no problem.

I'm not sure I understand what the issue is with HDR on in the rear camera during the day. Ghosting/blurry license plates?
There isn't really an issue, except that currently, if you turn HDR off on the front camera during daytime, you do get an improved image quality, if you look closely, I think because it currently uses better exposure settings, and because of that people are assuming that turning HDR off on the rear camera would also result in better image quality, except that you can't currently turn it off. I'm not sure that it is a valid assumption though, and we can't test it to find out, so it is what it is, pretty decent 2K HDR image quality, day and night! It is definitely not correct to say that the rear camera is literally "of no use during the day", and it will definitely work just as well on the front as on the rear, in fact HDR is of far more use on the front at night than on the rear, because your headlamps are far brighter than your tail lamps.

I'm not actually sure that the front camera is currently better with HDR Off during the day, maybe someone should test with the latest firmware... I'm currently running with HDR On day and night, but I don't have an A229 Pro.

I'm confused.
You're going to buy two units of A229 Pro 2-CH Rear.
You're going to put the A229 Pro Front & Rear on the front window (both looking at the road).
And do the same on the rear window, (both front & rear looking out at the road).
Or, are you going to adjust the rear cameras to show the passenger compartment?

I'm not actually sure that the front camera is currently better with HDR Off during the day,
Here’s daytime footage filmed simultaneously with two A229 Pro’s (firmware 231208).
One has HDR on, the other has HDR off.

Here’s daytime footage filmed simultaneously with two A229 Pro’s (firmware 231208).
One has HDR on, the other has HDR off.
Plates are barely visible with hdr off, they look much better with it on.
Yes, at 13:58:03 on the dashcam clock, the HDR On is considerably better at reading the plate directly ahead of us.
At some other times, the HDR Off is better though, it is a compromise.

I'm confused.
You're going to buy two units of A229 Pro 2-CH Rear.
You're going to put the A229 Pro Front & Rear on the front window (both looking at the road).
And do the same on the rear window, (both front & rear looking out at the road).
Or, are you going to adjust the rear cameras to show the passenger compartment?

Oops, I should have clarified that. All cameras will be looking at the road, not the interior cabin.

I want two cameras looking out the front window, plus two looking out the rear window, to capture almost an 180° view from the front and rear.
Each camera will be mounted biased to one side (left/right) of the window to kind of achieve the 180° view.

Then the question is: where do I put the two 4K cameras and the two 2K cameras? Both 4K in the front? Rear? Mixed?

Given I want to prioritize the image quality of the front and rear equally, my compromise is using the "mixed" idea: one 4K and one 2K in the front, plus one 4K and one 2K in the rear.
It'd also save me the effort of having to run wires front to back (and vice versa) inside the car (thus the need for a very short "rear camera" cable instead of the supplied 6-meter one).

I wish there were a 4K Starvis 2 single-channel Viofo camera, then I'd just buy four of those, or simply a dual lens 4K camera that captures a nice 180° angle (like a Reolink Duo PoE security camera) without compromising on the bitrate.

Screenshots from the interior camera installed on the windshield, just to the right of the left pillar.

Attachments

• 1-ch .png
    1-ch .png
    421 KB · Views: 2
The A229 Pro is available as a 1-CH.
Why not buy 4 of those?
Hah! I had checked only at Amazon, which has only the 2 and 3-channel versions.

The price difference is not as big as I expected, so I just got four of the 2-channel one. 8 cameras in the car -- totally overkill, but oh well
I will point the "rear" cameras to the sides then!

I just got four of the 2-channel one. 8 cameras in the car -- totally overkill, but oh well
8 POV’s sounds awesome.
I hope you make a post showing all POV’s in action.

8 POV’s sounds awesome.
I hope you make a post showing all POV’s in action.
720° vision?

Next problem is finding some stitching software to join the images up into one 360° video with a 32K wide resolution, or maybe 16K resolution would be sufficient?

Reactions: Mtz
Back