118C card problem

digger279

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This is my 1st dash cam which I bought from Gearbest. Fitted it and GPS module ok an waited for SD card to arrive which was ordered separately.
The card I ordered was a Samsung 32gb micro SDHC UHS-1 card class 10 and it arrived today.
Popped it in and turned device on and it came back with "card full". Tried a few more times and either comes back with that message or card error.
I've checked the card in my pc using chkdsk and it's error free and shows almost 32gb free.
Stuck it in my phone and it's recognised but the dash cam doesn't want to know.
I've reset the dashcam. Tried to format card in device which takes all of a nanosecond. Formatted it windows but nothing seems to work.
I know this might be a daft question but I am putting it in the slot the right way with the contacts facing me as it wont go in the the other way round with the Samsung logo facing me.
Any tips please or is my cam goosed before it's took it's 1st clip ?
Thanks.

Definitely the first thing I'd try. It's always the weak point.

where did the card come from?
Bought it off Ebay. I am UK based and so is the seller. Came in as far as I can tell a genuine Samsung pack.
It works in the adaptor when I insert it in my laptop. Also works in my LG G4 phone.
I have a friend who has a dashcam and will ask him if I could try out his card if he is around tomorrow.

I am glad to say that it was the SD card at fault. My mate had a spare 8gb card which works a treat. That will do me for now.
The "faulty card" works ok in my phone so I will use it as storage.
Thanks for all your comments guys.
John

You should still probably test the card fully in your pc with something like h2testw (link in my signature) before you put files on it and then they disappear because it's not a good card.

Thanks for the link and the test results are :-

Warning: Only 32034 of 32035 MByte tested.

The media is likely to be defective.

7.5 GByte OK (15859383 sectors)

23.7 GByte DATA LOST (49746249 sectors)

Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)

0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)

23.7 GByte corrupted (49746249 sectors)

0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)

First error at offset: 0x00000001e3fd6e00

Expected: 0x00000001e3fd6e00

Found: 0xaaf3171d41908688

H2testw version 1.3

Writing speed: 9.52 MByte/s

Reading speed: 16.6 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4
Needless to say I won't be trusting that card to store any of my data. Have emailed the ebay seller with the above results and await his response.
Strange that chkdsk in windows didn't pick up on this.

chkdisk isn't as thorough. that's why h2testw was written in the first place.

i don't think anyone here recommends buying memory cards/sticks from ebay. only a local retail store you can physically visit, or from amazon - and then ONLY when "fulfilled by amazon". it's a few bucks more than ebay, but odds are a lot better of getting a real card, and if you do get a fake like this one, returns are super easy w/ amazon.

Thanks for the link and the test results are :-

Warning: Only 32034 of 32035 MByte tested.

The media is likely to be defective.

7.5 GByte OK (15859383 sectors)

23.7 GByte DATA LOST (49746249 sectors)

Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)

0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)

23.7 GByte corrupted (49746249 sectors)

0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)

First error at offset: 0x00000001e3fd6e00

Expected: 0x00000001e3fd6e00

Found: 0xaaf3171d41908688

H2testw version 1.3

Writing speed: 9.52 MByte/s

Reading speed: 16.6 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4
Needless to say I won't be trusting that card to store any of my data. Have emailed the ebay seller with the above results and await his response.
Strange that chkdsk in windows didn't pick up on this.

it's an 8GB card with a fake partition table, even Windows is fooled by that, the seller likely knows this, most often they act surprised and will refund without question, to the customer that uses in a mobile phone they generally don't find out until way too late

Back