128GB Micro SD card in Mobius: good idea?

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Anyone using 128GB Micro SD card with good results in Mobius?

What brands, types

pro's/cons?

:D

This is a call for @Isoprop. Considering the card costs more than the camera, I'm not sure many are using it nor need 16 hours of recording time.

if it works cost seems to be the only con.

I'd hate for someone to steal my cam let alone a $100-$150 microSD
I picked up a 64gb for $20-$30. For the price difference, I cannot justify a 128gb.

64gb is plenty right now, grab a couple of them if you need. That is enough (for me) to get a full work day in, or a full night of recording. I would rather the 128gb as I leave no room for error with the 64gb (if I work a few hours extra - my recordings are now being overridden).

This is a call for @Isoprop. Considering the card costs more than the camera, I'm not sure many are using it nor need 16 hours of recording time.
I haven't stress-tested these cards because it would be rather expensive, or at least inconvenient, if things went wrong! I used loop-recording over a few days and didn't experience any problems. When I did my tests only the Sandisk 128GB card was available so I haven't tested the Kingston 128GB or any other cards that may now be available. At approx. $100 these cards are still way to expensive, IMO.

why would you need to spend the money on such a card, a 32 gb should be just fine, after all , if something happens, while on the road, you can just save the file to your computer...

yeah, they do cost an arm and a leg, but my work days regulary exeeds 13 hrs, and I frequently need to save clips from the beginning of the day, sometimes 64gb is just not enough when recording at hi-datarate.

How many hrs can we record at medium or low data rate on 64gb btw?

Well, if 32gb on standard is around 4 hours then 64gb is around 8.

dirkzelf,

I do not know if this is practical.

Is it possible to carry two 64Gb cards or four 32Gb cards and change cards as needed (after 4 or 8 hours have passed) saving the filled cards for downloading onto the computer.

yeah, they do cost an arm and a leg, but my work days regulary exeeds 13 hrs, and I frequently need to save clips from the beginning of the day, sometimes 64gb is just not enough when recording at hi-datarate.

dirkzelf,

I do not know if this is practical.

Is it possible to carry two 64Gb cards or four 32Gb cards and change cards as needed (after 4 or 8 hours have passed) saving the filled cards for downloading onto the computer.

doesn't work for me.....

I don't know - but maybe you could find a way to stream data out via the USB and record it on an external disk.

Maybe a firmware "improvement" possibility? - though it seems to me it exceeds the design brief of the beasties.

prices have dropped down now.

I bought a card and its working fine. Its Sandisk Ultra 128GB, 48Mpbs read card.

prices have dropped down now.

I bought a card and its working fine. Its Sandisk Ultra 128GB, 48Mpbs read card.

I've been using a Sandisk Ultra 128GB card for several months now in the Mobius with no problems whatsoever, and the reason for buying it rather than the cheaper 64GB variants was because I needed the longer recording time it provided without having to muck about ejecting cards. The prices have dropped quite substantially. I purchased mine through Amazon but made sure it was supplied and fulfilled by Amazon and not a 3rd party reseller.

Thanks "sona" and "richcam" for the updates. This is what makes this site by far the best for dashcams!

Phil

I take it you are aware that Sandisk also have a 200GB card on the market.
Although the card is available locally I'm afraid I don't have this type of money for testing a card I don't really need. All the same, I'm hoping the price will come down in a few months. I would, however, be very interested in hearing if someone else has used this card successfully or not in the Mobius.

I take it you are aware that Sandisk also have a 200GB card on the market.
Although the card is available locally I'm afraid I don't have this type of money for testing a card I don't really need. All the same, I'm hoping the price will come down in a few months. I would, however, be very interested in hearing if someone else has used this card successfully or not in the Mobius.

Thanks Isoprop for the info, and no I wasn't aware that 200GB Sandisk cards are now available, though have to say I'm happy enough with the 128GB card that I'm currently using, so will probably hold off from buying till the price of the 200GB cards drop to a more affordable level, at which point I may well buy one.

How does PNY work with mobius?

I used a 64GB PNY card in the Mobius for a few days without any problems a few months ago, though replaced it with the 128GB Sandisk only because the continuous recording time (in 3 min segments) wasn't long enough. The 64GB cards are far cheaper than the 128GB, so unless you need the extra capacity I would choose the 64GB variants.

If you buy from Amazon just ensure it is supplied and fulfilled by Amazon, or just buy it from a local PC World store and save on the delivery charge and the wait.

My working day is around 10 hours with a 3/4 hour break. I use a 64gig card on medium bitrate which covers the whole day plus a few hours of the previous day. The power supply is permanently on so I have a switch on the top of my cigar lighter plug. I switch on before I drive & switch off when I finish at the depot, I also switch off when I'm on my break. Otherwise the cam is always on.
Looking at my latest files... 6th August, first file starts at 15:13:55, last file ends at 17:22:56. 7th August 08:14:30 - 17:20:10 so 2h 09m plus 9h 06m = 11h 15 minus 45m break = 10h 30m recorded at medium bitrate.
Seeing as 64gig cards are dirt cheap compared to stupid money for 128gig, I wonder if Mobius could be adapted to use 2 x 64gig cards? Fill card A then automatically record to card B when A is full?
Maybe an adapter on an extension lead & an update to the software to accommodate dual cards?

Fill card A then automatically record to card B when A is full?
Maybe an adapter on an extension lead & an update to the software to accommodate dual cards?

Now there's an idea which if made small enough could be useful with other microSD equipped devices. Boy how I wish I had delved into computers etc. back when I was young- by now I would be able to make such a beast!

Phil

It was a different world then. Blame our parents. They didn't plan for us like we for our children. IIRC computer stuffs then were beyond our budget. Consolation is now we have the money and time to indulge. With knowledgeable young nerds to help us, we're OK. So what if we have to take a humble pie and ask stupid questions. I can live with that.:)

Last edited:
Back