1st dash cam commercial in U.S. ?

Chevelle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Sunday morning, just saw the 1st ever commercial for a dash cam, in the U.S. Not trying to advertise for them, but the website is: buydashcampro.com. $39.99 plus shipping. Camera looks very familiar, could be sold under various names. Maybe we're starting to catch up with the rest of the world.

Whilst it's a cheesey video on the website, it's a step in the right direction.

Already a thread on this somewhere. A cheesy and crappy commercial but I like having the visibility of dashcams going out to the public so more folks will get one- just not this one. It's a piece of crap for a cam.

Phil

My sister doesn't understand why I would put a dash cam in the car - she's never visited SC before though. :)

Trouble is, there's already way too many sceptics out there. If someone is persuaded to buy a $5 cam (let's be honest, these are almost given away on ebay so they've got to be the cheapest thing on earth) and it lets them down at the crucial time - it could put someone off permanently.
In a crunch, your mind is normally racing, trying to remember all those important things to do - like take shedloads of photos etc but you 'might' just be tempted to skip some of this stuff because your camera is covering you.
Advertising is a good thing but advertising the crappiest piece of plastic on earth...

I made a post about it a few months back. So obnoxious

It promised up to 14 hours recording time. Sounds like a very low resolution like 480? Also why is anyone still trying to sell "car" cam with front LEDs? When mounted, the windshield will reflect the lightback to the cam and you'd get very badly washed out video. You'd be lucky if you can see the end of your car's hood in the video. The LEDs may be fine for bikes and for helmet but still, limited range and a few minutes of battery power.

I'd advise against anyone buying this cam and point them toward much better cams. I have mine, a G1W that I got almost 2 years ago from eBay seller estore007 Haven't had any issue other than weak battery, I can't get half a minute out of it anymore. It does work with 64GB microSD when formatted inside the camera, and that is good for about 8-9 hours nonstop at 1080. This is my most recent close call video from G1W cam:
no accident captured as of yet.

There was a time when I thought what these 027 DVR’s produced was the norm, here’s a still from a clip produced from a 027 or a clone of one, can’t even read road sign only a few meters away

forget of getting a car’s reg from it, at the time I thought it was acceptable/the norm, but things have move on since since 2010, so images captured from these are no longer acceptable, I know anything is better than nothing but for the cost of a tank of petrol (or less), a true 1080 HD can be bought, giving near broadcasting imagery that even at $15, these 027 or others like them, its $15 too much

NB, don't pay too much attention to the time set on it should of said 11:53AM (not PM)

They must cost $5 to produce? I guess you can buy them in bulk for $10 each?
I saw one of the same ilk advertised in a trucker 'paper' a few days ago, for over $100.
:)

There are a lot of them for sale on OLX Portugal and they're all advertised as the "perfect recorder for your car, truck, boat or motorcycle"! :D

The dashcam pro talks about the same cam being $200 and they put a picture of a "website" on it.

I feel sorry for whoever pays $200 for those lol.

Well, here you will see the clear Dash Cam Recording(choose HD1080P)

It's good to see an expanded interest taken by the retail market, I guess you'd call it. I've ordered a couple of cameras online and the results have pretty good.
I will admit I'm more comfortable with dealing with a local store. The next step would be salesman with product knowledge, and possible recommendations of specific products. Although they might be prone to "pushing" specific brands. All in all, I think it's a positive step forward. :cool:

P.S. Almost bought one of those cameras once.

Not all local store carries good stuff. I saw at Walmart one that looks like a old 027 for $30. Claims to do 720 but I bet it's really 480 that's interpolated to give a fake 720.

Most local stores sell crap unless you're going for the very high end (Thinkware and Blackvue)

Online is the way to go, you just need to find the right cam and the right seller.

Most local stores sell crap unless you're going for the very high end (Thinkware and Blackvue)

Online is the way to go, you just need to find the right cam and the right seller.
So true. I've yet to see a decent dash cam in any retail outlet near me. Dash cams, yes - decent ones, no.

Back