2.1 firmware sound syncronisation bug

Momoko

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently purchased and installed a Mobius camera in my car to use as a dashcam. It originally shipped with the 1.2 firmware but I upgraded to the 2.1 version with which promised exciting new features like the ability to record in mp4 format, which is a more widely usable format that the MOV format.

When using the 2.1 firmware, I noticed that when I record using the mp4 format, the sound becomes out of sync with the video as the time goes by. My setup is to loop recordings and each clip is set to 5 minutes long. From my understanding, the camera is to append 1 second worth of video data when it starts the next 5 minute segment and indeed it does so correctly with the MOV file format. It seems that with mp4, whilst the video jumps back 1 second, the sound does not hence the sound is recorded in real time. After several 5 minute segments, the sound is noticeably out of sync. This problem is demonstrated in the video below.... I flicked the indicators to move back to the left lane after overtaking the bus. You can hear the indicator cancel before I completed the maneuver according to the video, but in reality, it cancelled out only after I was back in the lane. I was unable to find any other accounts on this issue, am I the first one to report this?

You can also hear some kind of faint squeaking noise every second in the video, This is not in the car, where did this come from?

Also, I there seem to be a flickering/flashing issue when recording at very low light level. Then the flashing happens, the video stutters a bit. HDR mode is switched on. I've been doing some reading and it suggests that the flashing issue also happens with older firmware too. In the video below, I was driving on a stretch of the M3 motorway which was completely unlit and the only light source was from the headlights and from other cars. You can see flashing and stuttering video below. Are there any workarounds for the flashing?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on 2.1 firmware but I'm forced to use the MOV format for the time being owing to the sound being out of sync and the potential of lost video. It's an inconvenience as I would like the ability to edit the video on Windows Movie Maker but MOV format is not readily accepted by the video editor without first being converted to a different file format.

Do we know if the manufacturer is likely to address this issue? To me, out of sync sounds and especially gaps in video when shooting continuously is a major cause for concern, yet it seems to be under reported within the community.

What version of Movie Maker are you using? I'm on W8 here and it has no problems with MOV files?

I don't have Quicktime installed either mate - saying that I do have iTunes installed so potentially that's gone and installed the codec without me realising :) I'm not sure about the machine at home though - don't think either are on that one but will double check next week.

Nice side effect if so!

That's potentially a workaround for the OP - just install iTunes or QuickTime and then that takes away the issue of having to convert everything first?

Back