2011 ram 1500

mgd21

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new to dash cams, I use this truck for my business. I would like to install one for the front and maybe rear for potential liability issues. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, mgd21

Welcome mgd21.

If you have a open bed on that Dodge there will be some problems in having a rear facing camera all the way out back.

The reason for this is there is fjew dashcams with a remote camera thats waterproof, the best for that kind of use might be the new MC camera called Bullethd ( see motorcycle subforum )

That one out back ( i do think its no problem extending the camera wire ) and another good dashcam up front, and your should be in the safe when it come to dokument the havoc on the streets around you and the Dodge.

You could allso just have a camera in the rear window of the cab, but the bed of the truck will then fill a lot of the footage as all dashcams use pretty wide angle lenses.

I drive a pick-up truck as well and simply mount a Mobius camera (with super-capacitor and B lens option) up on the headliner facing out the rear window. This gives me excellent coverage behind the truck as well as on either side of the bed right up to the back of the cab. Not only does this record traffic conditions and situations on the road or while parked, it also provides surveillance for my cargo, especially when I leave the truck unattended. Having the bed take up much of the frame is an advantage, not a drawback.

Mobius-B-lens.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldent mind either, okay the back of the bed do cover some road directly behind the truck.
But if anyone will be doing anything stupid back there, they will normally have a running start from further behind.
And i am not so blindly focussed on being able to real license plates like some people seem to be.
So i would just go for a dual or 2 single cameras in the cab myself.

Nice coverage of your bed Dash :cool: all thieving fingers should be captured on "tape" just fine :)

I wouldent mind either, okay the back of the bed do cover some road directly behind the truck.
But if anyone will be doing anything stupid back there, they will normally have a running start from further behind.
And i am not so blindly focussed on being able to real license plates like some people seem to be.
So i would just go for a dual or 2 single cameras in the cab myself.

Nice coverage of your bed Dash :cool: all thieving fingers should be captured on "tape" just fine :)

"Some of the road? My sense is that if you actually drove a pick-up truck you would have a better understanding of how well this set-up captures what vehicles are doing behind the truck including capturing their license plates. And unlike in a car where you can't see anything that happens on either side of your vehicle with a camera facing out the rear windscreen I find the side coverage invaluable. Many times the crazy things that happen back there are not directly behind me but in the adjacent lanes next to or slightly behind me. The other thing is that I often capture license plate numbers that a rear camera in car would miss when the vehicle behind me tries to pass or when I'm in a parking space where a typical rear camera wouldn't even see the license plate of the next car over entering or leaving the parking spot.

Last edited:
Yeah your bed or rather the hatch in the back do block "some of the road" directly behind your pickup, but i dont really see that as a problem as i wrote.

True its been a while since i drove my pickup, and it had a hardtop over the bed, and it was just a "little" euro pickup ( Mitsubishi L200 2.5 TD. EXT cab )

2.jpg

I am just guessing here as i sold my L200 in 2006 when i got the Suzuki Gran viatra, but this was way before i got into dashcams, and truth be told what whent on behind my car back then dident really bother me as i was stoned most of the time.:oops:

I am allso just guesstimating that a car have to be xx yards behind a pickup with a setup like yours to be able to see its licenceplate over the back of the bed, and i am guessing this is too far back back to give a good reading of a licenceplate.

But as i said i would have same setup you have if i had a full sized or even a little euro pickup with a open bed, no doubt about that.
Only if i had a hardtop over the bed like on my old L200 i would offcourse run a camera all the way to the back, and that i would proberly regret as that car was good at getting dirty in the back and i have never beed good at washing my cars often.

And as i so often have said in other threads i personally think that is most cases a single front camera would be enuff to prove that i was not the one doing anything wrong.

As you know i have 3 cameras in my car and i would like a 4 camera setup, not so much to be able to proove anything in case of a accident, but most to be able to capture what drivers do in cars around mine, and then expose them on the internet ( maybe illigally here, but i will keep doing it untill a judge tall me to take my footage down )

I agree with you 100% but if i had a pickup today and it wasent a EXT cab and it dident have a hardtop, i would proberly have 3 cameras in the rear window of the cab, the 2 outer ones angled outward, and maybe a narrow FOV lens on the middle camera.
But thats just my remaining addiction ( dashcams ) talking here :D

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. mgd21

I drive a pick-up truck as well and simply mount a Mobius camera (with super-capacitor and B lens option) up on the headliner facing out the rear window. This gives me excellent coverage behind the truck as well as on either side of the bed right up to the back of the cab. Not only does this record traffic conditions and situations on the road or while parked, it also provides surveillance for my cargo, especially when I leave the truck unattended. Having the bed take up much of the frame is an advantage, not a drawback.

View attachment 15494
Thank you dash

Welcome mgd21.

If you have a open bed on that Dodge there will be some problems in having a rear facing camera all the way out back.

The reason for this is there is fjew dashcams with a remote camera thats waterproof, the best for that kind of use might be the new MC camera called Bullethd ( see motorcycle subforum )

That one out back ( i do think its no problem extending the camera wire ) and another good dashcam up front, and your should be in the safe when it come to dokument the havoc on the streets around you and the Dodge.

You could allso just have a camera in the rear window of the cab, but the bed of the truck will then fill a lot of the footage as all dashcams use pretty wide angle lenses.

I was researching rear cams for truck and came across this post, very interesting to know this. So best to get a narrow field of vision for the rear window on a truck? also the back windows are factory tinted.

I was researching rear cams for truck and came across this post, very interesting to know this. So best to get a narrow field of vision for the rear window on a truck? also the back windows are factory tinted.

My truck's back windows are tinted as well and it has not presented a problem or even required an EV adjustment as with the cameras I have (Mobius) facing out the more darkly tinted side windows that do require in slight increase in the exposure settings.

As for FOV lens coverage out the back of a truck rear window as in my photo above I would recommend about 120 degrees.

See THIS link for some better examples of Mobius B lens rear pick-up truck coverage.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U What Should I Buy? 14
Back