2025 Dream Dash Cam - B159 5-CH Box

I think the contacts on a M2 drives " pins" can take a lot of plugging in and out, even if its not really designed for this, but some form of Caddy could probably greatly improve this.

"Caddy"! That's the word I was looking for when I said, "a hinged door the drive gets inserted in before locking it shut". Similarly, when I said a M.2 NVMe SSD drive could be inserted in a slot directly in the camera, there are inexpensive tool free enclosures available for M.2 SSD cards that work like that with an end cap. Something like this could be a plug-in external drive or it could be built right into the case of multi-channel camera base.

enclosure.jpeg

@TheSpanishInq
@Agie
@Nigel
@Vortex Radar
@DrekiTech
@Karagandinez
@kamkar
@Mtz

I purposely listed the 150 Mbps Total Bitrate of this “fantasy” dash cam to exceed the current capabilities of the Viofo brand SD Card, (90 Mbps write speed);

90 Mbps .png

I was hoping this “memory issue” could be solved by something like the proposed SD Express cards capable of 600 Mbps write speed from up to 8 channels of data.
Along with the new / incoming 2TB Micro SD Cards.

But after reading your guys’ posts about all these exotic memory protocols it doesn’t sounds like that’s possible.
Is a 2TB (E600) SD Express micro sd card really not a viable solution?

That's what we are going to develop.
Some technology discussed in this thread will be available soon in our next new model.
Can you tell us how many channels?
Can you tell us the if the Total System Bitrate exceeds 90Mbps?

The memory card supports 90 MBytes/second while you're asking if the dash camera exceeds 90 Mbits/second which is 11.25 MBytes/second. (?)

@TheSpanishInq
@Agie
@Nigel
@Vortex Radar
@DrekiTech
@Karagandinez
@kamkar
@Mtz

I purposely listed the 150 Mbps Total Bitrate of this “fantasy” dash cam to exceed the current capabilities of the Viofo brand SD Card, (90 Mbps write speed);

View attachment 72002

I was hoping this “memory issue” could be solved by something like the proposed SD Express cards capable of 600 Mbps write speed from up to 8 channels of data.
Along with the new / incoming 2TB Micro SD Cards.

But after reading your guys’ posts about all these exotic memory protocols it doesn’t sounds like that’s possible.
Is a 2TB (E600) SD Express micro sd card really not a viable solution?
There needs to be mass market adoption before our wet dreams are fulfilled. Til then not sure, but guess there will be some stop gap in between solution

The memory card supports 90 MBytes/second while you're asking if the dash camera exceeds 90 Mbits/second which is 11.25 MBytes/second. (?)
I’m confused.
I thought 90 MB/s is the same thing as 90 Mbps.
It that not the case?
If so, let’s say the A229 Pro in 1-CH configuration requires 60 Mbps of data writing speed, what is the total number of channels at that rate the current Viofo Brand SD Card can support simultaneously?

Screenshot 2024-04-23 11.51.53 PM.png

I’m confused.
I thought 90 MB/s is the same thing as 90 Mbps.
It that not the case?
If so, let’s say the A229 Pro in 1-CH configuration requires 60 Mbps of data writing speed, what is the total number of channels at that rate the current Viofo Brand SD Card can support simultaneously?

View attachment 72012
The lowercase "b" is bits and the uppercase "B" is bytes (8 bits per byte). The maximum write speed of the memory card is 90 MB/sec which is the same as (90 x 8 bits) 720 Mbps. If there were no memory card management overhead to account for, 720 Mbps divided by 60 Mbps per video camera would result in 12 cameras. There will be some amount of overhead to account for making that only a theoretical number of cameras it can support. The memory card sales info states "write speeds up to" which means under ideal conditions. It also depends on how fast writes can be passed from the dash camera, through the memory card reader/writer and then onto the memory card.

I don't know what the total overhead is related to each write taking place for multiple open files, file system management to allocate blocks to each file as they're extended, file system management to delete the oldest files to make room for the new files for loop recording, but my guess would be that it would be a non trivial amount of overhead.

Last edited:
There are 5 capacities of Viofo Brand SD cards;
32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB

I never noticed this before, and I feel like a moron.
They have different Write Speeds;

30 MB/s = 32GB
40 MB/s = 64GB
80 MB/s = 128GB
90 MB/s = 256GB
90 MB/s = 512GB

1.) Why aren’t they all 90 MB/s?
2.) Does this mean the slower writing speed cards may not function in certain Viofo dash cams?
@Nigel @Agie @rcg530
Never mind, I think RCG just kind of answered this in his last post.

Attachments

• 512GB .jpg
    512GB .jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 256GB .jpg
    256GB .jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 128GB .jpg
    128GB .jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 64GB .jpg
    64GB .jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 32GB .jpg
    32GB .jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 1
The lowercase "b" is bits and the uppercase "B" is bytes (8 bits per byte). The maximum write speed of the memory card is 90 MB/sec which is the same as (90 x 8 bits) 720 Mbps. If there were no memory card management overhead to account for, 720 Mbps divided by 60 Mbps per video camera would result in 12 cameras. There will be some amount of overhead to account for making that only a theoretical number of cameras it can support. The memory card sales info states "write speeds up to" which means under ideal conditions. It also depends on how fasts writes can be passed from the dash camera, through the memory card reader/writer and then onto the memory card.

I don't know what the total overhead is related to each write taking place for multiple open files, file system management to allocate blocks to each file as they're extended, file system management to delete the oldest files to make room for the new files for loop recording, but my guess would be that it would be a non trivial amount of overhead.
Wow, thank you so much for the explanation.
If I had known the theoretical limit was 720 Mbps I would have “dreamed” IMX678 sensors for all 5 cameras at 100 Mbps each for a total of 500 Mbps. lol

@Panzer Platform
Frankly, I have expressed in the past years that I was curious about a camera with a central box. In fact, the current MT1 can be taken as a reference. It can also be referenced from the waterproof camera MT1, the new production waterproof camera has a universal appearance.

In general, while I have been wondering how the mirror camera will take shape for a long time, I am looking forward to Viofo working on the mirror camera. While the biggest feature that distinguishes VIOFO from rival companies is the capacitor, rival companies also produce devices with capacitors. Looking at the results, I can say that Viofo did the right thing.

While I've been waiting this long, I'm dreaming of a mirror camera. The mirror camera can also act as the central box. Inputs can be designed depending on how many channels they will support. In addition, a user using A139 can also make an AV input and broadcast live to the mirror camera with an intermediate cable (consider this only to increase the alternative, its functionality is debatable)

By the way, the more features, the more data size can mean heat, energy problems or failure to meet expectations.

For this, it must be studied well and every detail must be considered.
If there is a solution produced for a problem experienced in the past, this problem should not be encountered in a camera produced later.

Some features, notifications, sound volume, light flickers, etc. for all existing cameras and future cameras. It is necessary to achieve this standard and facilitate the work on basic problems such as. For example, the camera's volume should be at the same volume, depending on its capacity, of course. The sound produced by one device and the sound produced by the other device or sounds at selected levels must have equal decibels.

Additionally, considering the capacities of memory cards and devices, the camera will also need to have a processor that can write this data.

Let's wait and see, new surprises are always good.
I would like to reiterate that I am ready to share every little detail about my own development. @viofo @VIOFO-Support

The lowercase "b" is bits and the uppercase "B" is bytes (8 bits per byte).
And I was hoping for 10 bit video, recorded in HDR10 format, for this dream dash cam! :unsure:

Wow, thank you so much for the explanation.
If I had known the theoretical limit was 720 Mbps I would have “dreamed” IMX678 sensors for all 5 cameras at 100 Mbps each for a total of 500 Mbps. lol
That is only a theoretical limit, not a practical limit. In reality you will never achieve the theoretical limit for various reasons.

Currently we don't have any dashcams that produce more than 90Mb/s(?), I assume due to memory card issues, so you are already well above what can be achieved currently.

I never noticed this before, and I feel like a moron.
They have different Write Speeds;

30 MB/s = 32GB
40 MB/s = 64GB
80 MB/s = 128GB
90 MB/s = 256GB
90 MB/s = 512GB

1.) Why aren’t they all 90 MB/s?
Probably because when they double capacity, they just double the number of memory chips inside the card, and the chips can work in parallel, getting things done twice as fast, however when you reach 90MB/s, you are then limited by the communications rather than chip speed.

2.) Does this mean the slower writing speed cards may not function in certain Viofo dash cams?
@Nigel @Agie @rcg530
Good question, most people never put a 32GB in a 3 channel dashcam, they only get used in the VS1 single channel dashcam, so there is never any problem!

30MB/s is fast enough for any current dashcam, but I wouldn't be surprised if a 32GB card is close to the limit for the best 3 channel dashcams, since internally it will only have 1 32GB chip doing all the work instead of multiple units working in parallel. On the positive side, a 32GB card probably has better cooling than a 512GB that has 16 32GB chips stacked on top of each other, making cooling of the centre ones rather difficult! If overheating is the main issue then the 32GB cards may be the most reliable!

(I don't know how the cards are actually configured inside, and how many layers are stacked, I chose 32GB blocks as an example, it could be 64GB, or 16GB, and blocks may sit along side each other rather than all being stacked, and chips is probably not the correct name for a block, although it may be.)

First question should have been: Is it a box dashcam?
Next question should have been: What storage interface does it use?

Of course Viofo's statement can be satisfied simply by:
Optional VIOFO External Microphone
!

I'm hoping for the:
170° FOV IR Interior
with true 170° horizontal FoV and more than FHD resolution.

90MB/s * 8 / 60Mb/s = 12 channels, but that is never going to actually work.

I suspect the real answer is 1, due to overheating if you had 2. Maybe with a box camera and some form of active cooling, and one of the higher capacity (faster) cards, you could have 2.

Now that Viofo has confirmed they’re already woking on my “fantasy” dash cam I would like to revise the specifications from a 2K system to a 4K system.
It seems I was not ambitious enough after all lol;

Screenshot 2024-04-24 7.31.42 AM.png

Revised Specifications;

B159 Pro 4K 5-CH Box
Separate Processor Box with 5 Remote Cameras
IMX678 Front
IMX678 Rear
IMX678 Left
IMX678 Right
IMX675 IR Interior

100 Mbps Bitrate Front
100 Mbps Bitrate Rear
100 Mbps Bitrate Left
100 Mbps Bitrate Right
50 Mbps Bitrate IR Interior

60fps Option All Channels

MSRP: $700 5-CH Front + Rear + Left + Right + IR Interior
MSRP: $??? 4-CH Front + Rear + Left + Right
MSRP: $??? 3-CH Front + Rear + IR Interior
MSRP: $??? 2-CH Front + Rear

Now that Viofo has confirmed they’re already woking on my “fantasy” dash cam I would like to revise the specifications from a 2K system to a 4K system.
It seems I was not ambitious enough after all lol;
You should change your forum nic to Captain Picard; 'To boldly go where no one has gone before' :LOL:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mentadent VIOFO Other 1
Back