'21 Venza with 3-lead

WrylyRiley

Reaction score
Country
United States
I picked up an Azdome camera a few weeks ago, and as expected, the 3-lead kit that they sell is looking for an accessory-only socket. I've tested all of the sockets under the steering column, and I can't find a single available fuse that's consistent or within expected voltage ranges.

Does the Venza have accessory-only fuse sockets? Is it normal that the voltage dips below 11.6v?

I have a 2-lead kit installed right now which works fine, but the voltage dips below the safety shutoff within a minute after turning the car off.

I can be satisfied long term without parking recording if it can't be set up with a 3-lead kit, but I would like to know if anyone else has this car and a similar experience.

My wife's '21 Venza frequently dips to 11.6, and more rarely, 11.4
My Avalon generally holds 12.2 over a weekend, not sure what it is with the Venza
The 12v battery is only there to power up the electronics, the HV battery does the work, so it is not a large capacity battery.
I do advise setting the camera to stop parking recording if voltage dips below 12, if you want extended parking recording, I would recommend a dedicated battery pack system for the camera.

There is a connector under the cover behind the mirror that powers the Safety Sense camera with constant and switch power available.
It is the connector on the passenger side of the mirror.

Toyota part number PT949-48210 is the adapter harness for the Toyota factory dashcam.
The "pillows" on the harness leading to the white connector house the fuses, so the circuit is protected.

Cut the white connector off and connect that to the Thinkware harness. The black connectors are inserted into the factory harness, so the original wiring is not modified, and the entire system can be removed cleanly when you sell the car.
I used this harness on my '21 Avalon and my wife's '21 Venza and it works perfectly with the Thinkware U1000

20210920_210624.jpg

Attachments

• 348775.jpg
    348775.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 348953.jpg
    348953.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210920_210752.jpg
    20210920_210752.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 3
Back