220Pro Not Charging on Hardwire...

darrencp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Having some issues with my Transcend DrivePro 220.

I've hard wired the cam in using the below:

Adapter:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Dual-2-USB-DC-DC-Output-Converter-Module-12V-To-5V-3A-15W-Power-Adapter-/131408985869

Cable:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=122198551430

But the camera doesn't seem to charge, it powers on when the cable is connected and ignition starts but it doesn't charge the camera, and in turn results in the camera dying.

I've tested the output at the convertor end and that's just over 5V, i'm wondering if the usb cable I have sapping some of the power? I've tried covering the centre three connectors on the usb so that it only uses the outside 2 pins (power) - but that's not helped either.

At the point of wanting to throw the camera out the window to be honest!

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,
Darren

Dash cams usually don't pull a lot of power, the ones I have installed both pull less than 0.5A, hence the power supply that's capable of putting out 3A can be ruled out if not faulty. Most probably it's the 3.6M length of the cable which's dropping current along the path and not supplying as much as the camera needs. Try a shorter cable to check if the adapter works and charges the dash cam or your phone.

Dash cams usually don't pull a lot of power, the ones I have installed both pull less than 0.5A, hence the power supply that's capable of putting out 3A can be ruled out if not faulty. Most probably it's the 3.6M length of the cable which's dropping current along the path and not supplying as much as the camera needs. Try a shorter cable to check if the adapter works and charges the dash cam or your phone.

Thanks harsh.

I'll give it a go and see if that helps. Just wondering, if i was running a cable to the back of the car for a dual cam setup - how would I avoid the drop in Voltage over the length of cable?

I'm using an Aukey 4 port USB charger/power supply ( can deliver 2.4A per port) connected to a hardwired 12V female socket. Cables are from Amazon basics with one running to the back from the globe box.

Have never had any issues with voltage dropping or cameras not starting.

It's most probably the cable but you could also look at getting a better quality power supply. Can't trust everything out of China.

Hi Guys,

Changed the cable for a shorter one - still the same.

Output at hardwire kit is still just over 5V....

Try a different power supply, the one you had linked probably isn't putting out the advertised amperage.

nked probably isn't putting out the advertised amperage.

Hi Harsh,

Actually tested the hardwire output with a multi-meter so i know its giving out just over 5v :(

You're confusing volts and amps. The kit is converting 12V to 5V. The hardwired USB ports seem to not being put of enough juice (amp) for the camera to work.

Hi Darren,

Hope you're well!

Do you mind reposting the hardwire kit that you used? It doesn't seem to be on the same link and I'm having exactly the same problem!

Best wishes,
Towhid

Back