229 Pro parking mode, least power consumption.

ToxicMatt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wondering which parking mode settings draws the least power please.

Ivolt mini on my car with U1000 never runs out of power and it’s a few years old now, been on holiday and back to find parking more still running.

installed a new one on the wife’s car with the 229 pro 3ch and didn’t even get 6 hours out of it on motion detection set to lowest on a very quite street.

As @safedrivesolutions points out in his video, the motion detection feature of the A229 Pro (or most dash cameras) will still consume power at a rate similar to its normal recording mode. The VIOFO "Auto Event Detection" parking mode will monitor video input for qualifying motion events and the g-sensor for qualifying impact events and when one is detected, 45 second video files (15 seconds before event / 30 seconds after event) will be written to the memory card for each camera (front, rear, interior).

The current A229 Pro firmware has a new feature (only in the firmware setting menus - not visible the the VIOFO app yet) to disable the GPS module while in parking mode. This will help to slightly reduce the amount of power the A229 Pro consumes in parking mode. If you disable the GPS module in parking mode, you must be using a VIOFO HK4 hardwiring kit to power the A229 Pro so that it knows to exit parking mode when the vehicle's accessory power is turned on. VIOFO recommends using the hardwire kit for reliable entry into and exit out of parking mode. A user that was using the time delayed (5-minute of no vehicle motion) entry into parking mode and they had the GPS module turned off in parking mode, found that the dash camera would not exit parking mode since the GPS module was off so it couldn't detect when the vehicle was moving again.

When the A229 Pro was first released, I ran a series of power consumption tests which include parking mode power consumption tests for the various parking modes it supports. I used those results to create a time estimate for each parking mode based on the dash camera battery pack's full storage capacity. The HK4 hardwire kit's low voltage cutoff feature (set to 11.8V) will slightly reduce the amount of time by about 30 to 45 minutes (based on some recent testing). I added a column for the storage capacity of the iVolt Mini of 57.6 Wh (4500 mAh) to my time estimates.

[click picture to expand]
1714893218698.png

My review thread with more power consumption test results:

Because you have the 3CH version, the IR LEDs of the interior camera are also consuming a lot of power if enabled. It is expected in a new firmware release to chose if you want the interior camera to record or not.
After disabling the GPS try to disable also the infrared lights for the interior camera at least of a test.

Because you have the 3CH version, the IR LEDs of the interior camera are also consuming a lot of power if enabled. It is expected in a new firmware release to chose if you want the interior camera to record or not.
After disabling the GPS try to disable also the infrared lights for the interior camera at least of a test.
Thank you, parking GPS is already off and I removed the interior camera today just to see if it makes a difference.

Not a big issue as she don’t really need long parking recording as it’s just for school runs and shopping. Was mostly testing for when I install one on my brothers car which I did today and he didn’t want me installing the interior camera anyway, didn’t like where I put it lol

Back