3.8mm 12MP 1/2.3" lens for Yi 4k II Action Camera

So I went ahead and did this. I ended up removing the face plate from the camera (to avoid marking it) and then using a box cutter to pry off the ring around the lens in one motion. This left me with virtually no discernible marks aside from the place where I used the knife and this isn't immediately obvious. I carefully used a vice grip to unglue and remove the lens - no marks!! Screwed in the 3.8mm and focused it for my first purpose which is underwater macro video. It fits in the third party case as you guys mentioned and I have no issues. I have decided to leave the ring off the camera and to not glue the lens in position so that I can refocus it as needed. Since the lens isn't fixed in place, I've subtly marked the lens and the housing with a sharpie so I can tell if it's not focused when I go to use it. This has also been very handy for adjusting the focal point for the macro video I've been making. I'm using the 3.8mm 16MP. For anyone interested, it's a great lens (equal to the original but without the fish eye distortion) but there is distortion and distinct loss of contrast near the edges, but this is to be expected.

Update: I'm definitely seeing a color hue difference from the center to the edges using this lens filming underwater. I will do some out of water filming and update.
I now have the 4k 3.8mm lens to try also, I'm interested in your method to remove the ring around the lens. I have tried to remove it but couldn't see a way with causing damage or risk breaking it. The last time I swapped lenses I stripped down the whole camera which is a pain in the ass. Please can you post a pic of the cover with the lens ring removed and the lens ring so I can see how it fits. Thanks

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Please can you post a pic of the cover with the lens ring removed and the lens ring so I can see how it fits. Thanks
I'll try to remember to do this.

In the meantime, I have made a video with the Yi 4k + Peau Pro 3.97mm lens. In my opinion the 3.97mm is slightly better than the Aliexpress 3.8mm in that there is much less vignetting and a flatter field of focus, but I don't believe the 3.97mm is worth the high price ($140) versus the 3.8mm from Ali ($50) - the quality difference is very slight.

So on further inspection I didn't record that video with true infinity focus (clouds blurrier than trees).

There are 3 plastic protusions on the ring (forgot to photograph the ring) that slot in around the lens mount.

Here are the photos you asked for I hope:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 37
So I went ahead and did this. I ended up removing the face plate from the camera (to avoid marking it) and then using a box cutter to pry off the ring around the lens in one motion. This left me with virtually no discernible marks aside from the place where I used the knife and this isn't immediately obvious. I carefully used a vice grip to unglue and remove the lens...

Hi - can you confirm that that's it for lens-only adjustments/replacements? (1) Remove face-plate, (2) Remove lens surruound, (3) unglue, (4) do stuff, (5) reassemble. No greater disassembly required. Thanks...

I have changed the 3.87mm git lens in my Yi 4k camera. The image seems less sharp than 3.8mm lens.

YDXJ0199.JPG

The 3.8mm lens is in Yi 4k camera.

YDXJ0271.JPG

I saw one test clip reports 3.8mm lens for Gopro Hero posted on Vimeo. The picture is so amazing so I decided to replace the lens 3.8mm for Yi 4k Camera. I think the picture of this lens on Yi 4k Camera is better than Gopro as test clip. I don't have the Quadcopter Drone to test this lens. Here is the test clip from Greg Parker with 3.8mm lens Gopro:

This lens isn't mounted properly. Right side of video out of focus badly.

This video is on 3.8mm 12MP 1/2.3" Lens with dimension: 20*20.78mm :

I bought the 3.8mm 16MP 1/2.3" lens from Aliexpress and I replaced it for the Yi 4k II Action Camera. The lens is longer than stock but there is no fisheye as stock. The 3,8mm lens is the best for video, 4k is amazing, very sharp, nice angle for daylight video recordings.
img_5985-jpg.24744

Looks great! How did you replace the lens without damaging the case and outer rings?

Last edited:
Back