30 vs 15 fps?

Drdul

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been fiddling with the settings on my new DR650GW-2CH cam, and I see that I have a choice of 15 or 30 fps. I assume that 15 fps would halve the file sizes, meaning I could save twice as much footage on a card before the cam begins to overwrite it. Is there any reason not to use 15 fps?

I realize that 15 fps isn't as smooth as 30 fps, but I also assume that for the purposes of evidence in the case of a collision or other event, 15 fps would likely be sufficient. Is the image quality any better at 15 fps than at 30 fps (I understand that with the current version 2.x firmware which the bitrate is limited to 6 Mbps/2Mbps front/rear that image quality at 30 fps is less than it used to be at higher bitrates, and I am wondering if a lower framerate means higher image quality)?

For now, I have the cam at the default 30 fps, and plan to switch to a 64 GB card (after I've tested a few more things with the OEM 16 GB BlackVue card) so storage capacity isn't really an issue. I'm just curious as to why BlackVue includes a 15 fps option and what (if any) advantages it might offer.

I may be wrong but I believe the 15fps was for when the device was in 'Parking mode'. Best thing to do is do a short drive with 30fps and one with 15fps. Compare them and see if there is any issues with the reduced frame rate.

I believe 15 and 30fps the video file sizes are the same. Mic on/off makes no difference either.

As both frame rates use a similar bit rate, 15fps should be better image wise. I use 15fps on mine to try and boost the quality, and there is a slight difference, although nowhere near what you might expect.

As both frame rates use a similar bit rate, 15fps should be better image wise. I use 15fps on mine to try and boost the quality, and there is a slight difference, although nowhere near what you might expect.

Thanks for that feedback. That's what I was wondering, but I'm also disappointed to hear that the image quality isn't that much better at 15 fps. I'll stay at 30 fps for now and wait for the new firmware coming (hopefully) soon that will boost the bitrate.

We're all waiting for the latest firmware, no amount of chuffing about with what's out now is going to improve things to an acceptable level ;-)

Back