4 camera system

RobDN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if exist a 4 camera system for the car.

I tried to look up in the forum, but it seems I couldn't find any thread about it.

I really would like to have 4 cameras in the car: front, rear and sides.

Do you know anything about this?

Rob

Ambarella has been selling a prototype to manufacturers. It uses Ambarella A9 but so far no one has claimed the title of being the first to put it in development. It could be awhile, look at how long it took for 2ch systems to get tuned up and work properly.

Hi Johny,
Thank you for the response.

I thought that this kind of system was already on the market.

Rob

Hi Johny,
Thank you for the response.

I thought that this kind of system was already on the market.

Rob
Sure, it's out there just not perfected yet and quite expensive. Even the 2 channel ones haven't quite been perfected. The rear cameras are usually 720p. The Marcus 5, coming soon will have both 1080p cameras.

@niko is your man for news on upcoming tech and cameras.

If you need "just" 4ch then they have been out there for many years. I started looking at them 3y ago. First i bough was 4 x D1. Second was iCaro B4 ( slightly higher than D1 ), but these days you need at least 4x 720p/30fps at least 10mbps bit-rate. Best if 4x 1080p but Amba A9 technology is not yet available to general dashcam manufacturers.
There is one out there with 4ch each cam interesting resolution, something between FullHD - HD 25fps but very low bit-rate. I try to find from my archives more info about it, but its nothing special in my opinion.

Last edited:
Exactly what I meant is that if you need 4ch with 1080p/30fps then its still not available.

Just buy two Marcus 5s. The main cameras front and back and the small cameras on the sides

Just buy two Marcus 5s. The main cameras front and back and the small cameras on the sides
Good thinking but it would be a little difficult to hide, and if you have to remove them every time before you leave can be a hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
XDVR004 is not my ideal choice, but at the moment its so called best retail-available solution from all 4ch all in one systems.
1280x1024(PAL)/1248x832(NTSC)
100fps (PAL),120fps(NTSC)
1.98Mbps -4.5Mbps

What about the Vacron 360 degree cam? Might not be what OP is looking for though.

If it's for taxi ( @ avatar ) ,then its best at the moment in my opinion. But dont know if "rear" camera he meant is the one which records rear action, or inside car ?
@RobDN please check Vacron 360 and see if this suits you.

Ambarella has been selling a prototype to manufacturers. It uses Ambarella A9 but so far no one has claimed the title of being the first to put it in development. It could be awhile, look at how long it took for 2ch systems to get tuned up and work properly.

expect a year before this sees the light of day

If it's for taxi ( @ avatar ) ,then its best at the moment in my opinion. But dont know if "rear" camera he meant is the one which records rear action, or inside car ?
@RobDN please check Vacron 360 and see if this suits you.
It is a pity I can't fix the rear cam on the rear glass, but it seems ok for now..

Can I mount 2 dual cameras and use the rear ones for the sides? But then I think I'll have to hard wire them because I only have one cigarette lighter.

It is a pity I can't fix the rear cam on the rear glass, but it seems ok for now..

What is the reason you can not mount rear camera on glass?

What is the reason you can not mount rear camera on glass?
Watching at the video of the Vacron, it seems that the rear cam is in the same position of the others; I mean all the 4 cameras are built in the same main unit...am I wrong?

Thank you for all your replies anyway guys, they are all helpful!!! :)

Hi Niko,
Yes, this is exactly how I want it! :)

You are not the only one "out there" who desperately looking for high-end proper 4ch system. There are 100ds or 1000ds of like you and me waiting for similar solution and ready to pay high ( fair ) price, but this technology that can handle 4x 1080p / 30fps in one standalone unit is just recently has been announced and I am afraid its going to take another 1y ( minimum ) to fully develop it before we see it sold in retail.

Back