4ch? Automatically upload to WLAN?

PaulFromAustralia

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've read about DIY 4ch setups, but are there any 4ch kits, that record to a head unit/SD card?

Also, are there any cameras that will automatically upload to a server on my WIFI network when parked at home?

Thanks!

Gidday Paul and welcome to the forum.

There is a fjew 4 channel setups around, but none of them is wort using money on.

I think there is a fjew that can do that wifi thing at the moment, but really you dont want to keep all that footage, with just 1 dashcam you generate around 3 - 400 MB for each 3 minutes you drive.
99% of the footage a dashcam generate is just waste footage where nothing happen, thats why they have a event button to press to save and protect a event on your drive or G-sensor and motion detect to trigger the same protection of files ( from beeing overwritten by dashcam if it start to recycle old footage )

Offcourse you could just sit at home and filter thru all that footage uploaded to your NAS storage / server, but i prefer to just grab one or all of my SD cards in my cameras ( 5 ATM ) when somthing worth saving have occurred.

Myself i dont use any of the fancy stuff, i just remember where it happen and then i save that 1 file to my computer when i get home, and then after that i usioally cut that 3 minute file down to the 10 seconds where there is action, and those then go into a compilation i can uploade to youtube.

Say you get a 4 channel setup down the road, those 4 cameras will then generate about 1.2 Gb for each 3 minutes you drive, this will be a huge ammount of footage if you drive a lot or just 1 hour every day.

Aussie Brand Street Guardian will bring good dual channel setups to the marked this year, but first they have to navigate around all the mistakes that plauge current generation of dual channel dashcams.
And in a while SG will bring 4 channel systems too, cuz they know addicts like me want that :D

Hi Kamkar, thanks for all the info and advice.

My new car has been scratched 3 times while parked, and each time I didn't realise until days later. When the car is parked, what would it take to trigger an event? I think one scratch occurred when someone put a heavy box on my bonnet and slid it off. Would that be enough of a bump to trigger an event? Anyway that's the motivation for uploading to my server. Having the footage ready to review on my PC over my morning coffee would be alot more convenient than fiddling with SD cards, even if it's just the event files that get uploaded.

I'm thinking maybe I should get 2 x 2ch units, with one of them handling the sides, mounted on the inside near the side mirrors, facing mostly backwards (so that I get the number plates when I'm parked front-to-kerb). Could you recommend a 2ch, 720p or 1080p, possibly ball-mounted, with WIFI upload ability, that's unobtrusive enough to mount near the side mirrors? Doesn't have to be Australian.

Thanks again.

Well the G-sensors can be set pretty sensetive i think, but then a passing truck or bus may trigger a recording.
And i am not sure if it can be set sensitive enough that a person keying the car will set it off.
Motion detect on the other hand will triggger even if a black cat walk on a fence 10 meters in front of the car, but problem with motion detect is they trigger a lot of false recordings, anything moving in front of your camera will trigger it.
But offcourse it is better to have too many recordings than none at all, good thing is event triggered recordings will be tagged with a suffix or end up in a special event folder, so they are easy to tell apart from all the regular recordings.

As to reviewing the footage, i hope you get up erly then, if you review at 1:1 speed it will take as long to go thru the material as you was recording it.

In regard to dual systems it seem all of the ones on the marked is plauged with some technical issues, some work best with only some brands and models of memory cards, other ones have other issues, and they all seem to be made with 1 "large" main unit for install in the front window, and then a rear camera thats usioally pretty nice small tied up to the front unit with a wire, and thats for the most a USB cable providing power and returning video from the camera to the storage in the main unit.

Main contender dual channel systems. ( with prebuffered event recording, meaning you get a fjew seconds of what happen before the triggering event )

Panorama X2
Lukas dual systems ( can not remember ther model numbers )

Honorable mention single channel systems.
Street Guardian SGZC12RC, it have a main unit with screen and a small discreete camera on a wire, and it support prebuffered event recordings.
This camera can now be fitted with cameras in a small alu housing thats water / weather proof, i think the size of it is about 1 x 1 x 1 inch
Not sure if they sell the SGCZ12RC with the waterproof camera, but they seem to be dealing with cool guys so i am sure you can strike a deal if you try one of those.

If you park reversing into a slot i assume you can make do with a front camera as most will pass by it getting to and from the area of your car, but offcourse if you park at a mall type parking lot with cars on 3 sides of you that might not be enuff.

I feel your pain M8, a couple of days before i sold my old 4x4 it was keyed all along one side by a treehuggin punk, so i have to take a dive on the resell price.
I then got a new car, and it had the window in the front R door smashed about 2 months after i got it, and it now have a dent in the roof from some idiot trowing a D type batteri high up in the air and then landing on my roof.

Resolution rambelings, 720p is not that bad, but really you should look for 1080p thats the norm now for good dashcams, just be carefull cuz there is allso a lot of 1080p dashcams out there thats not worth the price of the parts in them and sure not the price they will be asking for them.

I mentioned SG as they are aussie, but they are allso some of the serious ppl out there, they could have rushed a dual system to marked last season. but they preferred to stay clear and wait untill they can do it right the first time, and they offer service and customer care second to none i heard off.
And they are for sale in parts stores here and there in the land of Oz.

The user @jokiin in here is the man at the helm of the Street Guardian ship, He is a nice guy, and he is brewing on a dualsystem that i think will be inline with stuff you can use, but it will not hit the streets before winter ( aussie winter ) at best.
And if his up and comming dual system can use the waterproof cameras from current generation it will be perfect.

Australia is my adopted home country or first choice if i ever can afford to leave Denmark, long before some of them started to send me dashcams, and long before i had 2 days in Freemantle before my ship left port.

Thankyou so much for all the information.

I'm slowly going through the cameras you mentioned. For the waterproof camera, do you mean for me to install it outside the cabin? I think it would be too tempting for vandals.

Yeah, some people are just animals. I wish I could buy a modern 4x4 that had folded steel panels, and no clear coat. Something that would look better with age as it acquired more damage. :)

From what I've seen on YouTube, 720p on a side camera can capture number plates in a parking lot, but yeah I will try to get 1080p if I can. Definitely for the front camera.

Thanks for the kind words about Australia. I always wanted to live and work overseas, especially as everything is so expensive here. Shipping anything here is outrageously expensive. But now that I have a child I really appreciate what we have here in Australia. I've never been to Denmark or Europe for that matter. It's on the list for when we retire.

I was thinking if you drive a UTE or a 4x4 they the waterproof camera might fit nice below the side mirrors.
Anyways if you fall for a SG product just hit up Jokiin up in here and he will steer you in the right direction, it would be stupid if you had to buy a SGCZ12RC with camera and then buy another camera for outside use if you liked that.

There is more info here about the waterproof camera.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...of-external-camera-for-sgzc12rc-series.15933/

And here the dashcam itself.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/sgzc12rc.162/

OZ is a a cakewalt compared to DK here you pay for +2 cars but only get one, and we are in top 3 when it come to income taxes, then we have the omnipresent sales tax of 25% on all you buy, and then all the enviormental taxes as we Danes are so treehuggin and as you know taxes save the world and trees.
I will venture to guess gasoline here is 2 X of the gas in Oz, its actually pretty cheap at the moment of 1.99 AUD for 1 liter, a fjew months ago it was at 2.59 for a liter of 95 oktane.

Aside for a paied trip to Ibiza with 2 girls when i was a teen i have only been outside Denmark in relation to work, either as a regular sailor or engineer as the ship i engaged in Freemantle my first time as engineer on a ship.
But there is no work for a Dane on Danish ships any more, Maersk shipping and the politicians he have in his pocked have ruined that long ago.

I been on all continents aside for Africa, and then i havent sailed further south than Buenos aires in Argentina, so havent really tasted the south sea.
And offcourse since that was on ships in modern times there is no time for seeing stuff or ger drunk like in the good old days.
O i allso not been to New zealand, i like those guys too, but they are #2 on my list :D

ill take 6 month walkabout is Oz as soon as the economy of mine allow that, but since i am alone that mean i will have to win a little lotto money for that to ever happen. :rolleyes:

Just to give you an update, I've decided on 2 x Blackvue dr650gw-2ch. Both cameras are low profile, no screens to tempt thieves. And I've read from difference sources that they support FTP over WIFI, so I can initiate downloads from my server. The only thing I don't like is that they don't have a save/lock/event button for when you see something interesting. I'm also not sure if WIFI automatically turns on when parked, or whether I have to press the WIFI button on each unit, which would add to the list of things I forget to do each day.

I'm now trying to learn how to install them, in particular how to run a wire all the way to the back window of my wagon. And how to keep it powered for those occasions when I don't drive the car for 3 or 4 days.

BTW, you never mentioned the Blackvues in your recommendations - are they particularly bad? The footage on YouTube seems good enough.

I'm looking at $1000 AUD for the setup, more expensive than I was anticipating. But after hearing about your taxes, I will never complain about prices in Australia again. I did a bit of reading, and I have to say, while it must be frustrating to buy a car or a TV, having a retirement pension of 55-70% of your salary sounds like heaven. In Australia everyone is stressed about whether they can save enough to fund their retirement. Losing your job can mean that you lose your home, and so the government has made it difficult to sack people, which adds a burden to businesses. And, wealth inequality is putting demand on housing prices, which is a negative feedback loop - housing prices are getting higher and higher, and the wealth gap is growing. There's no way my son will be able to afford a house in his lifetime, in a location that has access to jobs and transport.

Anyway that's my layman take on things. :) It's always greener on the other side.

The blackvues have a nice form factor on ther cameras, but ther footage is not the best not least when it get dark.
I think they are is some comparisons in the head to head forum. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/side-by-side-comparison.66/
There is allso some other issues with them as i recall. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/dr650gw-2ch.118/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ian-sg9665gc-at-night-time.10571/#post-183784

If you want to keep cameras powered for several days, you will need a mighty battery in your car, a dashcam dont use much power but it all add up.
To make sure you do not drain car start battery you need a BDP unit ( battery Discharge protection ) with one of those you can set a cutoff voltage so you will still be able to crank your car, and that voltage should be over 12 volts.

Alternative you can install a battery splitter and a second battery for the dashcams, that way the "splitter" will make sure your start battery is out of reach for the dashcams. somthing like that is used by auto stereo freaks to make sure ther mighty speakers and AMPS dont drain ther start battery.

Even in little old Denmark i could get a house that will be cheaper than my current apartment, problem is its out in the country where there is no jobs, and i sure as hell dont want to drive 2 houres to work and 2 houres home every day.
Even if you do get a tax deduction for your traansport expences here, but its only part of it.

PPl in major town should pau a congestion tax, and those money should be used to make it possible for ppl like me to move out there and work out there.

40% of all Danes live in our capitol Copenhagen, dunno why, i feel sick to my stomac when i have been there, 2 days and i just gotte get the hell out of there.

Yeah I can see what you mean with the Blackvue problems, especially the motion sensitivity. I'm not really sure what to do, I definitely don't want 2 screens in my car. Dash cams have been around for years, I wonder why there are still so many problems with them.

Yeah I would really need a second battery. The total cost is probably going to be more like $1400 AUD. It's a lot of money for an imperfect system. I am half tempted to DIY using a tablet or android PC as the controller, if only I had enough time. I think I will sit on it for a while.

Thanks again for all your help, very much appreciated.

If i was you i would just get 1 camera for the front, just 1 can proof and capture much more than you think.
And then when things have caught up to your expectations go for the full install, and by then you can give the 1 camera to a needy person and enjoy the pleasure of giving.

1 camera is a whole lot better than none at all.

Back