512 Parking Mode Power Problem

Don't use permanent power, or at the very least add a BDP device to turn it off when the power gets low

Don't use permanent power, or at the very least add a BDP device to turn it off when the power gets low

I'm using the Nextbase hard wire kit - which is meant to have BDP built in. But it still runs my car battery down to 'Critical'.

I'll just have to get used to removing the camera each evening, or powering it down, if there isn't going to be a firmware option to shut down optical movement sensing in parking mode.

It would be great to have some solid information on how this function is intended to work from Nextbase, and some configuration options - i.e. 'optical / movement / both' and 'sensitivity - high/medium/low'. Pretty basic stuff i'd have thought?

The advice has always been the same.

The parking mode is a G-Sensor triggered parking mode, not optical.

All I really want it to do is go to deep sleep (like it does when it doesn't have permanent live) and wake if the G-Sensor detects movement.

That is what intelligent parking mode does, it puts the dash cam into 'stand by mode' only providing power to the G-Sensor, when an impact is detected it wakes and records.

The voltage cut off is 11.4V, has your car battery ran down @drwilliams

Yes, to the point that the car sends me this alert:

----
Dear Mr XXXXXX Williams,

the starter battery charge status of the vehicle XXXXXXX is critical.

To ensure that the vehicle is able to start, please connect a battery charger or drive the vehicle for 30 to 60 minutes.

When using the battery charger, please observe the notes in Owner's Manual in your vehicle.

Best regards

Mercedes me connect
----

If the camera is only woken from parking mode by physical movement when wired to permanent live, then why is it being triggered every 10 to 15 minutes throughout the night whilst it is parked on my drive in the middle of a very sleepy village?

Jokiin (above) seemed to indicate that it can be woken from sleep by changes in light levels when connected to permanent live. Is that incorrect?

Many thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to getting this issue fixed.

@NextBase Tiffany I have sent you the screenshot showing all the overnight protected recordings (showing no movement at all) as well as a Google Drive link to two of the files, so that you can see for yourself (and also prove that there is no G-Sensor activity) with the Replay 3 software.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again.

As I thought and confirmed by Tiffany it's a motion detector only.

How have you permanent connected it ? Could it be on a circuit that is make/break during the night and causing the issue ?

It triggers and records every 8 to 10 minutes throughout the night in parking mode regardless of whether it is connected to permanent live or not. It did it last night even though the d**m thing was in the glovebox (to prevent it from draining my car battery again)..

I suspect that the threshold for the G-Sensor trigger is very near to zero.. and that a coder somewhere has got a decimal place in the wrong spot .. or something like that.

Yes, to the point that the car sends me this alert:

----
Dear Mr XXXXXX Williams,

the starter battery charge status of the vehicle XXXXXXX is critical.

To ensure that the vehicle is able to start, please connect a battery charger or drive the vehicle for 30 to 60 minutes.

When using the battery charger, please observe the notes in Owner's Manual in your vehicle.

Best regards

Mercedes me connect
----

If the camera is only woken from parking mode by physical movement when wired to permanent live, then why is it being triggered every 10 to 15 minutes throughout the night whilst it is parked on my drive in the middle of a very sleepy village?

Jokiin (above) seemed to indicate that it can be woken from sleep by changes in light levels when connected to permanent live. Is that incorrect?

Many thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to getting this issue fixed.

This doesn't mean the battery is flat, just that it is depleting, I can understand it would be concerning though. There is a possibility as @jokiin has said that the voltage cut off is too low for your particular set up? Do we know at what voltage this message will display?

There is an optical sensing motion detection available on some dash cams, not this model or anything in the current range.

I will just check the images and get back to you in a moment, every 10-15 minutes is definitely OTT.

Hi - have follwed discussion and am reasonably OK with comments / responses. My 512 is wired via the 12 volt power outlet and switches on/off with ignition.My "problem" is - if I go away for 10 days or so on hols and leave car in a car park - can I leave the camera in park mode - will it run OK, accepting all being well that I dont have any bumps, for the 10 days - at present if I leave it in park mode overnight, with full cam battery - when I start in morning it comes up - battery needs charging (cam battery that is).

@kenofseavington
Are you getting a lot of recordings during the night for no apparent reason. That seems to be a common problem with some people. The 'false trigger' of the parking mode will flatten the cam battery.
Check your files for it. Look for files that have been recorded during the night when the car has not been subjected to any bumps.

Not aware - but will now be checking over next week or so - repoort back then. But - assuming I am not getting lots false - still unsure whether I can leave it on and it will do for 10 days or so to guard if I do get any knocks - after all that is one on the reasons I bought this model.

The battery whilst only powering the G-Sensor should last for around 10 days.

In reality it will turn on at some point during those 10 days because its quite sensitive and protect a file so the time will be reduced.

The hardwire kit has a voltage cut off at 11.4V to protect your car battery if you wanted to move it to a permanently live fuse for the holiday?

Hi Tiffany - thanks a lot. So - question - you say "only powering the G sensor" - so what should I NOT have selected to fulfill your point. OK re hardware kit - will look into that as well.

It means that, if it turns on starts recording a protected file for 2 minutes, that would effectively be taking roughly 7% of the battery capacity. Which reduces the length of time the battery can power the G-Sensor in standby mode.

I've turned parking mode off because of issues and was thinking about a permanent live but after reading the problems in this thread perhaps not.

So for parking mode to work independently I think the answer might be the BlackVue B-112 battery or Cellink B battery. I don't think Nextbase has anything like this.

OK Guys - done some more work. I have to say that the only conclusion I can come to is a faulty 512gw battery. Yesterday / today was best result - not. For most of the day I was driving on and off - 30 - 40 miles - so good charge. There were several occasions when I got into the car when the parking mode activated - as it should - NO other events. Last night on return I checked battery - full. This morning - got in - battery is low and needs charging - NO parking events over night - so conclusion - the batteyr isnt holding charge.

To nextbase Tiffany - suggestion please - go back to halfords and convince them I have a problem? - get help ( replacement battery / cam through Next base direct - have registered the item.

Thanks attention.

My first 512GW had a faulty battery and would not even last overnight because of all the 'incidents' triggered by the hyper sensitive parking mode. The replacement unit is a bit better but still will only last a couple of nights (three at most) before the low battery warning appears in the morning.

The G sensor controlling parking mode needs to be user adjustable. Why Nextbase won't do this is a strange decision.

One thing is for sure, when I decide to change the 512GW for another dash cam, it won't be a Nextbase.

Back