512gw or 612gw?

Matt Lockhart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo
Hi folks, been reading a few threads but can't find any recent footage.

This will be my first dashcam. I'm looking at the nextbase range as they seem to be top of the pile for quality and my insurance will give me a good discount for this brand.

My working hours are 6 to 6 days and nights so I will be doing a lot of driving in low light and dark conditions. I was going to go for the 612 but after some reading have noticed it lacks performance in low light due to the 4k. Is this down to the hardware or software? For example, will it be better at night in 1080? Then I could still use 4k during the day? Or will it still struggle?

Does anyone have any recent footage with the latest firmware updates?

Thank you

a camera that is native 1080p resolution will do better than a 4k model in low light situations

So even with good software On the 4k model, I would still be better going for the 1080p model like the 512, yeah?

Thank you.

Either the 512gw or even the 412gw will be fine recording in low light conditions tbh

With the 412 factor in £20 for the polarising filter before comparing prices.

Thanks for the help guys.
I think I'm going to go with the 512gw and 512gwrc bundle because I like the idea of having an integrated rear camera due to my last car being written off thanks to a rear end collision.

a camera that is native 1080p resolution will do better than a 4k model in low light situations
I think I'm going to go with the 512gw and 512gwrc bundle.
You do realise that the 512 front cam is native 1440 that is reduced to 1080 when you plug in the rear cam? So it is likely to have the same light gathering as 1440 even when running at 1080. It's the physics of the larger pixels in the 1080 sensor that gives it the edge in poor light conditions.
For example, the BlackVue 750 2CH at 1080 front and rear gives much better low light performance than the BV 900S at 1440.

You do realise that the 512 front cam is native 1440 that is reduced to 1080 when you plug in the rear cam? So it is likely to have the same light gathering as 1440 even when running at 1080. It's the physics of the larger pixels in the 1080 sensor that gives it the edge in poor light conditions.
For example, the BlackVue 750 2CH at 1080 front and rear gives much better low light performance than the BV 900S at 1440.
It's still better than the 612 though? :)

Would you recommend the blackvue over nextbase? Bit out of my price range but if it's worth saving a bit more for, then im prepared to do so.

I have a BV 750 2CH and am happy with it. I also have a NB 312 in my wife's car. The low light performance of the 750 is a lot better than the 312.
If you go to the BV section 900S section, there are some direct screen shot comparisons between the 750 and 900. You would be surprised at how much better the former is.
I think they use a Sony 1080 sensor that is optimised for low light and it certainly shows.
Far be it for me to recommend a BV on a NB thread though. Cost quite a bit more though. They have no onboard screen, so you need a tablet/phone to view live and recorded from the cam, but their SD card viewer works just fine with no stuttering on any of my three W10 machines.

How much will your insurance come down with dashcam discount, and how much does it compare to other insurance companies?

One insurance company said they could reduce by about £80 if I mentioned using a nextbase dashcam, I switched to a different insurer who gave me a quote without a dashcam for over £500 less, meaning I could get a different dashcam that suits my dashcam needs and not my insurance policy needs.

That's not to say don't buy nextbase, it is to say buy the right cam for you, because there are LOTS of insurance companies that can be financially better regardless of what dashcam you do or don't have

I have a BV 750 2CH and am happy with it. I also have a NB 312 in my wife's car. The low light performance of the 750 is a lot better than the 312.
If you go to the BV section 900S section, there are some direct screen shot comparisons between the 750 and 900. You would be surprised at how much better the former is.
I think they use a Sony 1080 sensor that is optimised for low light and it certainly shows.
Far be it for me to recommend a BV on a NB thread though. Cost quite a bit more though. They have no onboard screen, so you need a tablet/phone to view live and recorded from the cam, but their SD card viewer works just fine with no stuttering on any of my three W10 machines.

It is indeed something to think about now that I have been educated beyond the mainstream :p Ive also seen that the Thinkware F800 pro and street guardian sg9665gc are also big contenders for low light performance. What do you think of those?

I've also noticed that the cams that are brighter in general at night also tend to over expose around number plates and street signs making them un-readable?

How much will your insurance come down with dashcam discount, and how much does it compare to other insurance companies?

One insurance company said they could reduce by about £80 if I mentioned using a nextbase dashcam, I switched to a different insurer who gave me a quote without a dashcam for over £500 less, meaning I could get a different dashcam that suits my dashcam needs and not my insurance policy needs.

That's not to say don't buy nextbase, it is to say buy the right cam for you, because there are LOTS of insurance companies that can be financially better regardless of what dashcam you do or don't have

Im not too hung up on the insurance discount, it was just a brand I had seen on various articles about discounts for dash cams.

Ive also seen that the Thinkware F800 pro and street guardian sg9665gc are also big contenders for low light performance. What do you think of those?
Dunnow. Can only directly compare a BV550, BV750 and NB315, as they are the only ones that I have had personal experience with. Sorry

Thank you for the help guys.
Along with the help of a friend I decided on the Viofo A129 in the end

I returned my 612GW because of the awful mount. It is great that they made it easier to remove than the older models but the pendulum effect made the video unwatchable. Its a shame that there still isnt a fix for that considering how widespread the issue is.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Nextbase Other 1
B Nextbase Other 65
Back