522GW keeps dropping phone connection

chrispark

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently bought a new 522GW with rear camera and had them professionally hardwire fitted (with constant power) this week.
Set up with Google Pixel 4a - no issues at all, but now whenever going into car the 522GW doesn't pick up my phone and just says no phone connected (as I have SOS trial). This has happened 3 times now. I have managed to remedy, but I have to remove app, forget Bluetooth connection, reinstall app and reconnect to phone. Surely this isn't how it should be?

Reactions: MrJ
Hello Chris,

It's likely that the reconnection settings aren't quite right on the phone. However as you've done an app removal, I would recommend making a fresh reconnection to ensure it's correctly connected.
Please follow this procedure closely and in the exact order as displayed. This is crucial for correct connection:

1) Turn on the Camera
2) Stop it recording (press the red button on the screen)
3) Go into 'Settings' (press the button in the top left of the screen)
4) Go into 'Setup'
5) Scroll across to 'Keep User Settings'
6) Turn OFF 'Keep User Settings'
7) Go back to 'Setup' settings
8) Scroll across to 'Default Settings'
9) Select 'YES'. The camera will now reboot.
10) On your phone, please uninstall the MyNextbase Connect app. Please be aware that this will delete any saved data currently stored on the app. If you have footage saved that you require, please upload it to the Nextbase Cloud and make a note of the codes then provided. You can then download the footage to your phone at a later date, or to a computer.

11) Go into your Bluetooth settings on the phone, then delete any connections you can see to NEXTBASE
12) Go into your Wi-Fi settings on the phone, then delete any connections you can see to NEXTBASE

13) Turn off the phone and the dash camera
14) Re-start the phone and the dash camera
15) Re-install the MyNextbase Connect app on the phone
16) Then on your phone, go into Settings- Apps- MyNextbase- Notifications- Ensure these are set to On. Then go back one screen to Permissions and ensure these are also turned on.
Then go to your MyNextbase Connect app and click on the menu in the top left of the app home screen. Select App Settings and turn on ‘Prefer Wi-Fi Direct Downloads’, ‘Allow analytics’ and ‘Enable Low Resolution Downloads'.

Once steps 1-16 have been followed precisely, please re-pair the phone and the Dash Cam as per the below instructions.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello Chris,

It's likely that the reconnection settings aren't quite right on the phone. However as you've done an app removal, I would recommend making a fresh reconnection to ensure it's correctly connected.
Please follow this procedure closely and in the exact order as displayed. This is crucial for correct connection:

1) Turn on the Camera
2) Stop it recording (press the red button on the screen)
3) Go into 'Settings' (press the button in the top left of the screen)
4) Go into 'Setup'
5) Scroll across to 'Keep User Settings'
6) Turn OFF 'Keep User Settings'
7) Go back to 'Setup' settings
8) Scroll across to 'Default Settings'
9) Select 'YES'. The camera will now reboot.
10) On your phone, please uninstall the MyNextbase Connect app. Please be aware that this will delete any saved data currently stored on the app. If you have footage saved that you require, please upload it to the Nextbase Cloud and make a note of the codes then provided. You can then download the footage to your phone at a later date, or to a computer.

11) Go into your Bluetooth settings on the phone, then delete any connections you can see to NEXTBASE
12) Go into your Wi-Fi settings on the phone, then delete any connections you can see to NEXTBASE

13) Turn off the phone and the dash camera
14) Re-start the phone and the dash camera
15) Re-install the MyNextbase Connect app on the phone
16) Then on your phone, go into Settings- Apps- MyNextbase- Notifications- Ensure these are set to On. Then go back one screen to Permissions and ensure these are also turned on.
Then go to your MyNextbase Connect app and click on the menu in the top left of the app home screen. Select App Settings and turn on ‘Prefer Wi-Fi Direct Downloads’, ‘Allow analytics’ and ‘Enable Low Resolution Downloads'.

Once steps 1-16 have been followed precisely, please re-pair the phone and the Dash Cam as per the below instructions.

Kind regards,
Millie
Millie,
Thank you for the detailed response.
I went through all of the above exactly as listed, but unfortunately my dashcam only connected to my phone for the next one instance, and is no longer connecting to it whenever I get into the car. I am wanting to use the additional features (Alexa / SOS etc) but I can't use them currently, as I have to go through the whole reset process everytime

Millie,
Thank you for the detailed response.
I went through all of the above exactly as listed, but unfortunately my dashcam only connected to my phone for the next one instance, and is no longer connecting to it whenever I get into the car. I am wanting to use the additional features (Alexa / SOS etc) but I can't use them currently, as I have to go through the whole reset process everytime
If anything it is even worse now - if I leave the car with phone connected to 522GW and working fine, and pop into a shop and come back within 2 minutes, they no longer connect and the app just says "Status - Connection failed". The only way to reconnect is to go through a reset

Hi Chris,

On your phone, go into Settings- Apps- MyNextbase- Notifications- Ensure these are set to On. Then go back one screen to Permissions and ensure these are also turned on.

Kind regards,
Millie

Hi Chris,

On your phone, go into Settings- Apps- MyNextbase- Notifications- Ensure these are set to On. Then go back one screen to Permissions and ensure these are also turned on.

Kind regards,
Millie
Millie,

All of my settings are set as your instructions, and yet it never reconnects. It only ever connects after deleting the app, and going through a reset as per your instructions in your first reply .
I am not sure if my 522GW is faulty, as it stayed on during parking mode for 3 hours, and then wouldn't boot up again, do I had to do a hard reset!

Hi Chris,

This is going to need looking at in further detail. Please can you call our engineers on 02920 866 429 (UK) and we can run though all the troubleshooting with you in one go.

Kind regards,
Millie

I have had the exact same issue for well over 12 months, ive spoke to Level 2 tech support, ive had a new replacement camera and several firmware updates.
Nextbase told me “its my phones fault” then they tried to blame the car.
Nothing resolved this. I gave up in the end until recently, hoping new firmware would have sorted it. Problem still exists. Tech support is no use at all and have no solution

Nextbase told me they had never heard anyone have this issue before, i sent them this and several other forums.
The product is totally faulty and should be recalled by nextbase

Hi Mr J,

I am sorry to hear of your experience, however please be aware that we have released many app updates during the previous 12 months and an issue which was reported on a previous app version may no longer be relevant with an app update. If you are still having the above issue, please do give us a call and we'll report it to our Development Team for investigation on the latest app version 2022.4.0.
Alternatively, please direct message me your email address and I can contact you directly on a Support Team ticket if you have one in progress.

Kind regards,
Millie

H
Hi Mr J,

I am sorry to hear of your experience, however please be aware that we have released many app updates during the previous 12 months and an issue which was reported on a previous app version may no longer be relevant with an app update. If you are still having the above issue, please do give us a call and we'll report it to our Development Team for investigation on the latest app version 2022.4.0.
Alternatively, please direct message me your email address and I can contact you directly on a Support Team ticket if you have one in progress.

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi. Thanks for the reply.
I gave up because James from your Level 2 tech support could not resolve it. I left it for a while to allow for firmware to come out.
I have re installed the app (latest version) i have the latesr ios and the dashcam downloded the latest update when it installed. Same exact problem persists. A quick google Search brings up forums and yourube videos of people with the same issue.

Your tech support even told me
It was the SD card causing the issue - i purchased one of your SD cards and the issue was worse. I have tested with android and another ios and in another car. Issue still persists.
Rather than go through a chain of emails and around in circles again. Can you please look at the tickets you have / had open and see if anyone has had this issue resolved please
Thank you

Hello,

What is your ticket number please?

Kind regards,
Millie

Hi,

Thanks for providing your ticket number. I can see that the ticket was closed in December 2021, so we'll open a new ticket for you and get in contact directly to provide additional help.

Kind regards,
Millie

I am having exactly the same problem.

I've just purchased a 522GW with hardwire connection kit on the strength of the seeing good reviews. I followed the instructions and found a fuse that is only powered when the car ignition is on. I charged the camera overnight before installing into the vehicle.

Both phone (Samsung Galaxy S20) and camera have latest updates (21.5 on camera).

I can connect the phone to the camera when going through the setup. I can hear Alexa work and for that one journey, the Alexa connection is fine. It talks to me, plays my music and does everything I expect.

However, when I next return to the car, and say 'Alexa' the screen advises me to use the Nextbase App to setup Alexa. I've reconnected, removed connections, reset everything, reinstalled the app, reset the camera and done a rain dance. The camera just will not save the connection. Very frustrating.

I've found with a few devices that the Alexa integration is just added as a marketing ploy and the actual integration is not great. This appears to be the same.

Reactions: MrJ
I personally have never tried to install Alexa or my phone to the 522. I have a perfectly good radio in the car and hands free phone connection. I bought the 522 as a dashcam not a multi media unit. But I’m sure you are right about the marketing ploy( boys and their toys), [girls, it’s a phrase, no sexism intended]. There is only so much you can pack perfectly into a small package. I’m sure for some it works. But as a dashcam, I have no complaints, it has worked each and every time, perfectly. I use the highly Un-recommended Sandisk sd card in it, I rarely take it out the car (regardless of hot or cold weather) or re-format the sd card.
Like yourself it’s hard wired through an ignition live fuse.

I am having exactly the same problem.

I've just purchased a 522GW with hardwire connection kit on the strength of the seeing good reviews. I followed the instructions and found a fuse that is only powered when the car ignition is on. I charged the camera overnight before installing into the vehicle.

Both phone (Samsung Galaxy S20) and camera have latest updates (21.5 on camera).

I can connect the phone to the camera when going through the setup. I can hear Alexa work and for that one journey, the Alexa connection is fine. It talks to me, plays my music and does everything I expect.

However, when I next return to the car, and say 'Alexa' the screen advises me to use the Nextbase App to setup Alexa. I've reconnected, removed connections, reset everything, reinstalled the app, reset the camera and done a rain dance. The camera just will not save the connection. Very frustrating.

I've found with a few devices that the Alexa integration is just added as a marketing ploy and the actual integration is not great. This appears to be the same.
I spoke to the tech team again after they saw my reply here.
They cant resolve it and have put it down to a bluetooth signal clash in my car. Ive tried it in various cars and its the same.
It could be to do with the hardwiring as it doesnt seem to be an issue when connected to power by the side usb.
I give up.

As a daahcam it works but i could have got one much cheaper that works too. I cant sync footage to my phone because it wont connect. Not convenient at all

I personally have never tried to install Alexa or my phone to the 522. I have a perfectly good radio in the car and hands free phone connection. I bought the 522 as a dashcam not a multi media unit. But I’m sure you are right about the marketing ploy( boys and their toys), [girls, it’s a phrase, no sexism intended]. There is only so much you can pack perfectly into a small package. I’m sure for some it works. But as a dashcam, I have no complaints, it has worked each and every time, perfectly. I use the highly Un-recommended Sandisk sd card in it, I rarely take it out the car (regardless of hot or cold weather) or re-format the sd card.
Like yourself it’s hard wired through an ignition live fuse.
Agreed. As a dashcam it's a great piece of kit. Unlike you though, I bought this as an Alexa unit PLUS dashcam. And I really would expect the built-in Echo-Audio to work flawlessly as pushed in the advertising, on the box, in the app and on the website. Not much to ask IMHO.

Back