522GW not recording

Skylar132

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 PRO 2CH
after 4 months I'm finally having issues with my 522GW. On certain occasions is powering up and not starting to record or it will record one second before stopping recording, it isn't freezing and is just stopping the recording (not displaying any error messages like please format sd card), I have ensured I'm on the latest firmware, I am using a high performance sandisk high endurance micro sd card class 10 and U3. This is the card often sold along with the 522GW as a bundle on amazon and is recommended for dash cams, I do format the card on a regular basis and have g sensor and parking mode disabled. Anyone know the issue here

Sandisk could be your issue.

Nextbase have always advised against them.

might well be, considering a 32gb nextbase card if i cant solve the issue, halfords offering a £10 discount when you join their motoring club anyway

Hello,

Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam using a pen. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera. Does it now start normally?
If you now leave it on, does it function without freezing (it obviously will not record). If it's now fine, then it's likely to be a problem with the SD card itself and we'd recommend replacing the SD card.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam using a pen. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera. Does it now start normally?
If you now leave it on, does it function without freezing (it obviously will not record). If it's now fine, then it's likely to be a problem with the SD card itself and we'd recommend replacing the SD card.

Kind regards,
Millie
There is no issue with freezing it just makes me manually hit record again, it only happens certain time. Going to try replacing the micro sd card with a nextbase one, if this doesn't work I will have to send the camera back

Hello,

It sounds like the card is failing to write new data at certain times, hence the lack of recording. I would definitely recommend replacing the SD card.

Kind regards,
Millie

Hello,

It sounds like the card is failing to write new data at certain times, hence the lack of recording. I would definitely recommend replacing the SD card.

Kind regards,
Millie
Hey Millie, switched to a 32gb nextbase u3 card and its still having this issue, sd card formatted regularly, on latest firmware and dont use smartphone app or parking mode, would appreciate some help here

Just before you return it, how is it being powered ?

As a test, try it indoors with a mobile phone charger. That will provide smooth power without vehicle other systems getting in the way.

Hi,

Do you have a rear camera attached please?

Kind regards,
Millie

Just before you return it, how is it being powered ?

As a test, try it indoors with a mobile phone charger. That will provide smooth power without vehicle other systems getting in the way.
using nextbase hardwire kit, it only happens maybe once every few days

using nextbase hardwire kit, it only happens maybe once every few days
The Nextbase HWK is a solid piece of kit.

The problems I've encountered and fixed for friends, is where it's powered from. Stop/ Start cars have caused many issues for example because some vehicles, when the starter is cranked, kill power to some circuits. This puts the cam into shutdown mode and power is restored during shutdown so the power trigger is ignored and it stays off.

By using a mobile phone charger these problems can be avoided to see whether the camera or power is the culprit.

Update: After switching to the nextbase micro SD card it hasn't made a big difference, my main culprit at the moment is the car itself. Once the car is started it powers everything loses power for 2-3 seconds and sometimes if the 522GW starts up when the power has cut off it seems to not record. I'm wondering would anyone have a possible solution for this? All the ACC fuses do this and dont want to hardwire it to a constant live as then the dash cam wont turn off.

You have the classic behaviour I've been posting about for years.

You turn the ignition to position 1 and the dashcam starts to power on. Then when you go through ignition position 2 to the spring loaded starter motor crank the circuit loses power so the dashcam starts to power down. Once powered down it doesn't detect power restoration so stays off.

The only answer is to find a circuit that stays powered on. Difficult, you need a multimeter and patience.

You have the classic behaviour I've been posting about for years.

You turn the ignition to position 1 and the dashcam starts to power on. Then when you go through ignition position 2 to the spring loaded starter motor crank the circuit loses power so the dashcam starts to power down. Once powered down it doesn't detect power restoration so stays off.

The only answer is to find a circuit that stays powered on. Difficult, you need a multimeter and patience.
its all the acc fuses seem to do it

Fortunately Honda provide what they call an 'Option Connector' that doesn't lose power at any time.

I'm no car electrician but I'd have thought there must be some permanently live circuits. Try investigating those that only become live at ignition position 2.

Fortunately Honda provide what they call an 'Option Connector' that doesn't lose power at any time.

I'm no car electrician but I'd have thought there must be some permanently live circuits. Try investigating those that only become live at ignition position 2.
there are permanently on circuits yes, but the dash cam wont power down when using these until the voltage cut off

Sorry, I didn't post quite right.

My Honda Option Connector has many pins. My dashcam is wired to ignition position 2 and my SatNav wired to ignition position 1. I have nothing wired to the permanent power pin.

Both of the above pins do not lose power until the ignition key is physically turned.

after 4 months I'm finally having issues with my 522GW. On certain occasions is powering up and not starting to record or it will record one second before stopping recording, it isn't freezing and is just stopping the recording (not displaying any error messages like please format sd card), I have ensured I'm on the latest firmware, I am using a high performance sandisk high endurance micro sd card class 10 and U3. This is the card often sold along with the 522GW as a bundle on amazon and is recommended for dash cams, I do format the card on a regular basis and have g sensor and parking mode disabled. Anyone know the issue here
Hi,did you get this problem resolved? I've got the exact same issue with my 322gw cam,it's permanently hardwired to a permanent live,I've contacted customer support but still waiting on a response, it's definitely not the sd card because I've tried another nextbase one in it and purchased another type(correct spec) to try it.

weirdly it sort of stopped on its own after some time, i stopped using the 522 for a while and now using it with my rear cam attachment it works well

Back