522GW works fine when connected to laptop - freezes when in car

BryanMc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has this happened to anyone else?
My Nextbase 522GW recently stopped working in the car - basically freezes up.
When I take the dash cam out and connect it to my laptop , it works fine with no issues.

I have tried reformatting the SD card and reseting the dash cam - same issue.
I have replaced the SD card and again it works fine connected to my laptop - but freezes when I set it up in my car.

Any suggestions? as it is driving me mad!

How it it being powered in the car? Sounds like an issue with the power supply versus the camera.

It is hardwired in the car , it was installed by Halfords .

I'll try to find the cable that will allow me to use the cigarette lighter , to see if that makes any difference

It is hardwired in the car , it was installed by Halfords .

I'll try to find the cable that will allow me to use the cigarette lighter , to see if that makes any difference
That didn't make any difference, I'll take it back to Halfords to check as I've run out of ideas.
Thanks for the suggestion though

How long since installation? You are running the latest firmware update R23.7? Rear camera attached? You’ve done a full factory reset?

Don't forget that when connected to a PC/Laptop it should go into 'data' mode and shouldn't start recording.

A better test would be to connect it to a mobile phone charging block. That will determine if the car wiring and/or the SDCard is the issue

In my opinion some Halfords wiring attempts don't understand what dashcams need and they often just piggyback to any fuse that becomes live when the ignition is turned into ACC mode

What they should be doing is wiring to a source that doesn't lose power during the starter motor engine crank period, or, if parking mode is required, a permanent power source that also stays permanent live during starting

Don't forget that when connected to a PC/Laptop it should go into 'data' mode and shouldn't start recording...
That's true if using a standard USB cable with data and power lines. If using a 'charging' cable without the data lines it's no different than using a phone charger or other external source, provided the computer USB port is supplying sufficient output.

How it it being powered in the car? Sounds like an issue with the power supply versus the camera.
How long since installation? You are running the latest firmware update R23.7? Rear camera attached? You’ve done a full factory reset?
it was installed in Nov 22. I've updated the firmware to R23.7 There is a rear camera attached and I've done a full factory reset

as it is, it works fine attached to my laptop and also to a power bank but when I hook it up in the car , it freezes - so I guess there is an issue with the car's electrics, presumably the fuse ...

Installed for 11 months, works away from car, fully updated so yes, looking like a car problem rather than a dashcam problem.

Back