64GB Micro SD Class 10 Card for New mini 0806?

RavenManiac

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, mini 0806 (RIP)
I'm trying to decide between a Samsung Pro and a SanDisk High Endurance for my new mini 0806. Any help is much appreciated.

I read on here (DCT) that Kingmax cards were supposed to be OK with the mini range, I’m still trying out my 2x 64Gb ones and all seem to be OK at the moment but not put them to heavy use or used in hot situations yet, so time will tell

Kingmax must be popular in the UK, because it's not a well known brand here in the US. :)

I'm trying to decide between a Samsung Pro and a SanDisk High Endurance for my new mini 0806. Any help is much appreciated.

The Samsung Pro is definitely an MLC card with a 2000-3000 write cycle lifetime and a 10 year warrantee (if you don't exceed the write count first).

I think, but don't know for sure, that the Sandisk High Endurance is a cheap TLC card with probably 1000 write cycle lifetime. IIRC, the warrantee on the Sandisk is in hours and if you work it out in write cycles it does come out at around 1000, although how they know how many hours have been written I don't know since they would need to know the bitrate of the video...

I just received today a Sandisc Ultra 64gb sdxc (as recommended on another thread), and it worked straight out of the packet in my 0806.

I also went for SanDisk Ultra 64GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDXC Memory Card Up to 48MB/s With Adapter- SDSDQUAN-064G-G4A
Worked right out the box for $24.99.

The Samsung Pro is definitely an MLC card with a 2000-3000 write cycle lifetime and a 10 year warrantee (if you don't exceed the write count first).

I think, but don't know for sure, that the Sandisk High Endurance is a cheap TLC card with probably 1000 write cycle lifetime. IIRC, the warrantee on the Sandisk is in hours and if you work it out in write cycles it does come out at around 1000, although how they know how many hours have been written I don't know since they would need to know the bitrate of the video...
Through S.M.A.R.T. Info's ... Like on a hard drive ? There should be a usage stats chip in these... They even place them in batteries these days ;-)

Decided to take your recommendation and go with a Samsung Pro. :)

Through S.M.A.R.T. Info's ... Like on a hard drive ? There should be a usage stats chip in these... They even place them in batteries these days ;-)
They do contain statistics such as a write count, that is how they know that you have exceeded the write count before your 10 years is up. Unfortunately access seems to be though manufacturer specific secret protocols instead of an open protocol like S.M.A.R.T.

They do contain statistics such as a write count, that is how they know that you have exceeded the write count before your 10 years is up. Unfortunately access seems to be though manufacturer specific secret protocols instead of an open protocol like S.M.A.R.T.

I can assume that if you are returning a SD card because it's become defective, then a [cough] well placed magnet, might well corrupt that secret write count information :rolleyes:

I can assume that if you are returning a SD card because it's become defective, then a [cough] well placed magnet, might well corrupt that secret write count information :rolleyes:
Magnets have zero effect on SD cards, they don't store information magnetically.

Actually, a well placed magnet will also have zero effect on a magnetic hard drive!

Magnets have zero effect on SD cards, they don't store information magnetically.

Actually, a well placed magnet will also have zero effect on a magnetic hard drive!

Nigel, you are a true genius and I never knew that, am truly humbled... I had always assumed that all modern storage media would be corrupted by high powered magnets :oops:

Incidentally, does water actually damage the contents of an SD card or hard drive?

Nigel, you are a true genius and I never knew that, am truly humbled... I had always assumed that all modern storage media would be corrupted by high powered magnets :oops:

Incidentally, does water actually damage the contents of an SD card or hard drive?
SD cards are fine in water, even in the washing machine. Salt water will corrode them given a few months. If you do get them wet then give them a good rinse in clean, non-salty water and then a good drying before use.

Hard drives and water are not a good idea, you would need to dry out all the electronics very carefully before using them again and any residue left behind could cause problems, also if the water was more than maybe 1 meter deep it would get through the dust seals and damage the actual disks, they would then need some serious cleaning before you could spin them up again since any dirt, even a spec of dust between the disk surface and the head can destroy the disk surface.

Hard drives can be wiped by magnets, but they need to be very strong electromagnets with alternating current, a normal permanent magnet will have no effect.

I'm using a kingston 64gb class 10 sd

Back