7950 Time-Synchronization and Rear Camera Resolution settings not working

Spacehog

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, first timer here,

Just found this site. Good thing with that. Just installed Lukas HD 7950 B (non-GPS) 2 days ago and exhausted on trying to understand why 2 features (bugs?) are problematic. I don't have any OBD feature hooked up. Just cams functions themselves.

Setup is hardwired in; not powered by cig lighter adapter. Either Version or Firmware 1.5.2. (as per bottom of app home screen). It doesn't specifically say anything other than just '1.5.2' on bottom right of android.

1 - Time Synchronization feature: No matter how many times I disconnect wireless, re-start car, start completely over, etc, etc, etc.. the correct time will not remain on unit's display even though it always accepts it as I hit 'Save'. For every single instance, the time displayed after I start the car is always exactly 3 hrs behind to the minute. When I get in and update via time-synch feature, I hear it go 'bloop' on the unit and the change takes effect instantly and stays there but once I shut car off - whether a minute or hour later - it defaults to the wrong time again next time I start car which is always exactly 3 hrs behind current time (difference always only on 'hours' number, never 'minutes' number. Re-connect wirelessly (in itself very slow, weak, and spotty from driver's seat - if it works at all .. another subject discussion..) upon next start and I have to re-set again. Every single time. Wiring is correct. Yellow 'Batt' to an always-hot fuse, Red 'Acc' to another fuse which gets constant (not switched) power only once car is started / key is on, and black 'Ground' which was tested good with test light.

2 - For front cam res display, I changed it from 'High' to 'Highest' and it has remained successfully but for the rear cam setting right below it, the current chosen res setting (before going in to change it) isn't even displayed at all ('High', 'Highest', etc) on the settings menu screen. Just a blank white area where the text should be. The menu item 'Rear Cam' is shown but never anything next to it. It does allow me to go in and change it but even though I change it and hit 'save', it still doesn't display which setting was selected (as with the front cam). It's just not there at all in print. Blank white space. It's allowing me to change and save it but how do I even know what's happening if - once back 1 step on main 'Settings' screen - no selected res setting is shown next to the text 'Rear Cam'?

Thanks for any help. I hope I can reciprocate in appreciation somehow.

Spacehog

Spacehog....Greetings, my frustrated comrade. While I too am somewhat new to this forum, I have had the 7950 since January and have experienced nothing but problems with the device, the computer software, and apps. Do NOT expect any technical support from Lukas, either. My advice: don't throw away the boxes or any of the original packaging because you'll need them when you send the unit back for a refund. Then, keep checking this forum until you start seeing posts that indicate Lukas has corrected the firmware issues, the spoken language used by the device, chronic errors displayed on the screen and app upgrades that actually save settings to the device.

Spacehog....Greetings, my frustrated comrade. While I too am somewhat new to this forum, I have had the 7950 since January and have experienced nothing but problems with the device, the computer software, and apps. Do NOT expect any technical support from Lukas, either. My advice: don't throw away the boxes or any of the original packaging because you'll need them when you send the unit back for a refund. Then, keep checking this forum until you start seeing posts that indicate Lukas has corrected the firmware issues, the spoken language used by the device, chronic errors displayed on the screen and app upgrades that actually save settings to the device.
Hello all, first timer here,

Just found this site. Good thing with that. Just installed Lukas HD 7950 B (non-GPS) 2 days ago and exhausted on trying to understand why 2 features (bugs?) are problematic. I don't have any OBD feature hooked up. Just cams functions themselves.

Setup is hardwired in; not powered by cig lighter adapter. Either Version or Firmware 1.5.2. (as per bottom of app home screen). It doesn't specifically say anything other than just '1.5.2' on bottom right of android.

1 - Time Synchronization feature: No matter how many times I disconnect wireless, re-start car, start completely over, etc, etc, etc.. the correct time will not remain on unit's display even though it always accepts it as I hit 'Save'. For every single instance, the time displayed after I start the car is always exactly 3 hrs behind to the minute. When I get in and update via time-synch feature, I hear it go 'bloop' on the unit and the change takes effect instantly and stays there but once I shut car off - whether a minute or hour later - it defaults to the wrong time again next time I start car which is always exactly 3 hrs behind current time (difference always only on 'hours' number, never 'minutes' number. Re-connect wirelessly (in itself very slow, weak, and spotty from driver's seat - if it works at all .. another subject discussion..) upon next start and I have to re-set again. Every single time. Wiring is correct. Yellow 'Batt' to an always-hot fuse, Red 'Acc' to another fuse which gets constant (not switched) power only once car is started / key is on, and black 'Ground' which was tested good with test light.

2 - For front cam res display, I changed it from 'High' to 'Highest' and it has remained successfully but for the rear cam setting right below it, the current chosen res setting (before going in to change it) isn't even displayed at all ('High', 'Highest', etc) on the settings menu screen. Just a blank white area where the text should be. The menu item 'Rear Cam' is shown but never anything next to it. It does allow me to go in and change it but even though I change it and hit 'save', it still doesn't display which setting was selected (as with the front cam). It's just not there at all in print. Blank white space. It's allowing me to change and save it but how do I even know what's happening if - once back 1 step on main 'Settings' screen - no selected res setting is shown next to the text 'Rear Cam'?

Thanks for any help. I hope I can reciprocate in appreciation somehow.

Spacehog

1st note. For english Lukas Support email support@lukasdirect.com

2nd note, I FINALLY have a simple language fix for the LK-7950 with english.
Download the below TXT file and simple transfer it on the main memory card.
Belive me I understand how frustrating this language bug has been with the new firmware updates! I have been overwhelmed across the board with language problems since Fi 21 and 7.0.7.
This has required me to confirm which ones I can replicate and which ones I can not, and then find fixes.

http://lukasdirect.com/learn-explore/support/download/3-lukas-firmwares/153-qrlang

Idetectstuff,

Thanks. I'll be sure to keep all packaging together in trunk. I fixed the time display issue. It came out of the box set to 'Summer - Off' and 'GMT-9' under the 'GPS' sub-menu. I initially changed it to 'Summer - On' and 'GMT -5' (since I live in NJ) but then decided to disable GPS since I'm not interested in that feature for the moment. After 3 days now of constant teeth-gritting and X-rated mutterings, I found that the app somehow on its own changed it to 'Summer - Off' and 'GMT -7' .. something I never selected. Even still, if I had GPS turned off - which it was since installed and still is - I was under the impression that when I go to 'Time Synchronization' and select 'Synch with cell phone' that that's all that would be needed for proper synching of displayed time with phone/app. (At least with my almost 20 yrs as a now unemployed network tech I would logically think so). So it seems somehow the time settings under 'GPS' still effect it even if disabled / off. (How it randomly hiccuped to 'GMT -7' I have no idea). Anyway, we'll see if it sticks.

As for the rear cam res setting, no dice there. I went through everything bit by bit numerous times. No selected setting was displayed out of the box to show what it was/is set to and no amount of spitting / cursing / epithet-reference screaming is changing that. Rear cam is recording but I'll never know at what set res.

How's the wireless / app connectivity function in itself you ask? hmmph.. ahem... %#$&@$%#%&#%$@^@Q$!!!!! ...and that's IF it connects at all - as I'm sitting in the driver's seat pointing right to it <12" away with a battery at 100% and a good 4G Lite signal. The unit just absolutely refuses to let itself be seen 99% of the time.

Turn unit to 'Off', wait patiently, shut car off, kill wireless on phone and reboot, wait patiently, witness connectivity to all neighbors devices including realty branch office up the street, re-start car, switch unit to 'Acc', wait patiently, try again, waste more time, repeat, repeat again, repeat 10 more times, scream some more, give up and drive away...

I'll pay the extra 5 bucks! - Just give me a quality product!!!

1st note. For english Lukas Support email support@lukasdirect.com

2nd note, I FINALLY have a simple language fix for the LK-7950 with english.
Download the below TXT file and simple transfer it on the main memory card.
Belive me I understand how frustrating this language bug has been with the new firmware updates! I have been overwhelmed across the board with language problems since Fi 21 and 7.0.7.
This has required me to confirm which ones I can replicate and which ones I can not, and then find fixes.

http://lukasdirect.com/learn-explore/support/download/3-lukas-firmwares/153-qrlang

Hi Robert,

I'm sure you're busy and hope you don't mind if I write in the future. I'll go to my seller first and bother you only if I have to. I bought the cam directly from Pro Com Technology Corp seen listed here: http://lukashd.com/dashcam/contact_info/distributors.html. I usually go through Amazon (wife's preference) but DJ came across helpful, willing, and pleasant to work with over the phone when I ordered it and, based on that, will have no problem ordering directly from him again.

As for the language issues, I have Fi 17 with app ver 1.5.2 and although the English all throughout the app is in need of some spot-editing and sometimes enough to make me cringe, it's tolerable.

Spacehog

Idetectstuff,

decided to disable GPS since I'm not interested in that feature for the moment.
Without physically disconnecting the GPS (do not recommend) Y0u can not disable the GPS module. You can disable most of the GPS features. However the GPS will continue feeding in data to the camera.

Idetectstuff,
if I had GPS turned off - which it was since installed and still is - I was under the impression that when I go to 'Time Synchronization' and select 'Synch with cell phone' that that's all that would be needed for proper synching of displayed time with phone/app. (At least with my almost 20 yrs as a now unemployed network tech I would logically think so). So it seems somehow the time settings under 'GPS' still effect it even if disabled / off.
The Time Synchronization is for units without GPS. It allow the camera to sync with your smartphone/ tablet clock. So if your camera has a GPS module connected to the camera (its internally connected), your camera will get its time data from the GPS data.

Idetectstuff,
As for the rear cam res setting, no dice there. I went through everything bit by bit numerous times. No selected setting was displayed out of the box to show what it was/is set to and no amount of spitting / cursing / epithet-reference screaming is changing that. Rear cam is recording but I'll never know at what set res.
I am confused.
So I am assuming you changing the rear camera to record at "2 (Highest)" and then hit save Correct?
Then what is happening? Does the setting change the next time you look at the setting?

Idetectstuff,
How's the wireless / app connectivity function in itself you ask? hmmph.. ahem... %#$&@$%#%&#%$@^@Q$!!!!! ...and that's IF it connects at all - as I'm sitting in the driver's seat pointing right to it <12" away with a battery at 100% and a good 4G Lite signal. The unit just absolutely refuses to let itself be seen 99% of the time.
The wifi is designed not to draw to much power. Depending on the device you are connecting from, and the type and level of interference (Vehicles tend to have a lot of inference). The normal range is about 1 Meter. Just enough range to sit in the front seats of your car and connect.
Front the sounds of it. To get the wifi strength and distance you are looking for. You would need to install a wifi repeater in your vehicle.

1 - Understood and now makes sense. Thanks.

2 - Got it. Makes sense now that I understand the engineer-applied logic. Thanks. With this, the time setting has been corrected and appears to maintain itself.

3 - With the front cam resolution setting (Front Video Quality (Mbps)), there is an actual displayed user-selected res (before going in to change it). Out of the box, it was defaulted to 'High'. If you change it then save and go back to said menu listing, you can see your new/changed selection displayed next to the front cam menu option. In my case, I selected 'Highest'. All appears normal here. The front cam sub-menu selection displays whatever you select and saves and displays as normally expected.
Right below it however, next to the rear cam res setting (Rear Video Quality (Mbps)), is nothing but a blank white space where the selected res setting should appear in text (Normal / High / Highest).
For the front cam setting, I see this:
[Front Video Quality (Mbps) 2(Highest)] (..since I set it to 'Highest'.)
As for the rear cam setting, all I see is this:
[Rear Video Quality (Mbps) ] (with a long, empty space between.'(Mbps)' and ']' where the setting should appear.
(For some reason, this message board isn't allowing me to type actual spaces for accurate depiction)
As described, this is exactly how it appeared right out of the box upon initial power-on. It does allow me to change and save but no matter what I do, exactly what you see here is exactly how it's always displayed no matter what. A blank area. So maybe it is (or isn't) effecting any change I make but I have no idea what it's set to since, from the very first time right out of the box upon initial power-up, that's all you ever see no matter what. The saved video clips are there for viewing but to what selected res I have no idea. There's nothing there. Ever. No shadow, no gook, nothing. It's like someone forgot to turn the lights on for that bank of pixels or painted White-Out on the screen.

4 - As for wireless, I'm literally sitting in the driver's seat with my elbow on the console and pointing my Motorola Android 4G Lite right up to it from my right hand about 10" away. The only way it works is if I (in this order) kill the car, switch the unit to 'Off', kill my phone, restart car, switch cam to 'Acc' or 'On', then turn on phone. Even that doesn't come with a 100% success rate. FWIW, from my driveway, I can even see my recently supplied Verizon FIOS router in my underground basement through a solid concrete wall with only a small, closed, hinged, window between us.
Although super annoying, considering the infrequency with which I'd need to utilize it once all settings are in place as per end-user's desire, I can live with it. It does work in this regard so be it..

In the 6 days that I've been running it, I've gotten (so far) - on various days at diff times - 2 'Err 6' codes ('Detach Wi-Fi dongle to reboot the device') and 2 'Chk' codes (which basically dictates I must reformat the card and reboot device).
*Note - I'm using the Lukas supplied 8G card that came with it.

It's so far really only the rear video display issue that's annoying me and has me on the fence for returning it if not for wondering if it's worth the trouble uninstalling it, repacking it, and mailing back. More-so because I really want to order a second rear cam for my other car thereby allowing me to move the main/front unit back and forth between vehicles depending on which vehicle I'm driving on any given day.

Thanks Robert.

Spacehog

I'll pay the extra 5 bucks.. Just give me a quality product!

1 - Understood and now makes sense. Thanks.

2 - Got it. Makes sense now that I understand the engineer-applied logic. Thanks. With this, the time setting has been corrected and appears to maintain itself.

Glad I could help :)
3 - With the front cam resolution setting (Front Video Quality (Mbps)), there is an actual displayed user-selected res (before going in to change it). Out of the box, it was defaulted to 'High'. If you change it then save and go back to said menu listing, you can see your new/changed selection displayed next to the front cam menu option. In my case, I selected 'Highest'. All appears normal here. The front cam sub-menu selection displays whatever you select and saves and displays as normally expected.
Right below it however, next to the rear cam res setting (Rear Video Quality (Mbps)), is nothing but a blank white space where the selected res setting should appear in text (Normal / High / Highest).
For the front cam setting, I see this:
[Front Video Quality (Mbps) 2(Highest)] (..since I set it to 'Highest'.)
As for the rear cam setting, all I see is this:
[Rear Video Quality (Mbps) ] (with a long, empty space between.'(Mbps)' and ']' where the setting should appear.
(For some reason, this message board isn't allowing me to type actual spaces for accurate depiction)
As described, this is exactly how it appeared right out of the box upon initial power-on. It does allow me to change and save but no matter what I do, exactly what you see here is exactly how it's always displayed no matter what. A blank area. So maybe it is (or isn't) effecting any change I make but I have no idea what it's set to since, from the very first time right out of the box upon initial power-up, that's all you ever see no matter what. The saved video clips are there for viewing but to what selected res I have no idea. There's nothing there. Ever. No shadow, no gook, nothing. It's like someone forgot to turn the lights on for that bank of pixels or painted White-Out on the screen.

Hmm.. The rear view camera settings would be blank white space if the rear view camera was not attached to the camera.
Is your rear view camera tethered in?

4 - As for wireless, I'm literally sitting in the driver's seat with my elbow on the console and pointing my Motorola Android 4G Lite right up to it from my right hand about 10" away. The only way it works is if I (in this order) kill the car, switch the unit to 'Off', kill my phone, restart car, switch cam to 'Acc' or 'On', then turn on phone. Even that doesn't come with a 100% success rate. FWIW, from my driveway, I can even see my recently supplied Verizon FIOS router in my underground basement through a solid concrete wall with only a small, closed, hinged, window between us.
Although super annoying, considering the infrequency with which I'd need to utilize it once all settings are in place as per end-user's desire, I can live with it. It does work in this regard so be it..

In the 6 days that I've been running it, I've gotten (so far) - on various days at diff times - 2 'Err 6' codes ('Detach Wi-Fi dongle to reboot the device') and 2 'Chk' codes (which basically dictates I must reformat the card and reboot device).
*Note - I'm using the Lukas supplied 8G card that came with it.

This most defiantly is not normal. If possible, can you try connecting to the camera from a different device?
If the range is still a problem, I would recommend getting a replacement camera or wifi dongle. It defiantly sounds like something is up..

It's so far really only the rear video display issue that's annoying me and has me on the fence for returning it if not for wondering if it's worth the trouble uninstalling it, repacking it, and mailing back. More-so because I really want to order a second rear cam for my other car thereby allowing me to move the main/front unit back and forth between vehicles depending on which vehicle I'm driving on any given day.

Understandably so!

Hmm.. The rear view camera settings would be blank white space if the rear view camera was not attached to the camera.
Is your rear view camera tethered in?

Yes. I even re-seated both ends of the cable (with car off and camera's power switch turned to 'Off' of course).
The rear cam itself has always worked along with all video being recorded and logged. It's just the buggy lack of text displaying what setting it's at that's annoying. I just don't know to what res setting it's recording at (Normal / High / Highest).

This most defiantly is not normal. If possible, can you try connecting to the camera from a different device?
If the range is still a problem, I would recommend getting a replacement camera or wifi dongle. It defiantly sounds like something is up..

I tried with my wife's new Apple iPhone that she just got about 3 months ago. More time wasted. Same results.

I'm going to call my seller on this. Hopefully it doesn't effect a dime from his pocket because he was fine to deal with and I wouldn't want him to get any short end of the stick on this. I reeeeeally don't feel like uninstalling it all though.. sigh..

Thanks Robert. Appreciated.
Spacehog

Back