A Beginner’s Guide to Installing the SG9663DC Hardwired for the 2013 Prius V (Gen 3 Prius) - Basics apply to any hard wire vehicle install

Well, the best way to run the cables through the factory grommet seems to be removing the entire headliner, which will be quite the task. I’ll probably have to get the service repair info from TIS. If I’m doing this and have to pull the 6m of cable out (and switch the ends), perhaps I should just run it straight through via the roof, avoiding the side airbags, but also going around the panoramic roof. That seems to be the safest and tidiest option.
20180724_165947_HDR headliner grommet-s.jpg

I dident run my wire thru that rubber grommet as my rear hatch dont have any plastic trim around the window, just on the bottom part of the hatch.
So to get the wire / plug back out to the camera i would have to drill a rather large hole in the metal.
So i have my wire guided off to the side of the window so i have the loop of wire dangling out there and not on the middle of the rear window.

Well, the best way to run the cables through the factory grommet seems to be removing the entire headliner, which will be quite the task. I’ll probably have to get the service repair info from TIS. If I’m doing this and have to pull the 6m of cable out (and switch the ends), perhaps I should just run it straight through via the roof, avoiding the side airbags, but also going around the panoramic roof. That seems to be the safest and tidiest option.
View attachment 40322
Just straighten out a wire coat hanger and use it to fish the wire thru the headliner. No need to drop the entire headliner!

"Flip and dip"
maxresdefault.jpg

View attachment 40322

20180724_165947_HDR headliner grommet-s.jpg

i would choose the larger hose/grommet simply because it'll be easier to push the cable through without damaging anything. they both take basically the same path so there's no reason to choose the smaller one.

and yes, harsh, sticking it to the plastic could be a better option (if the rear wiper reaches that high), esp if the glass moves separately from the door like it does on my wife's highlander. i don't think it can be opened separately on any variations of the prius though. and in the case of my wife's highlander, the texture of the plastic prevented me from sticking anything to the plastic (short of using permanent methods like epoxy... and yes i tried several different adhesive tapes and glues, including silicone gasket maker/RTV), so i ended up using small screws. yeah, that means holes in the plastic, but it's a 10 year old car now so it's not such a big deal.

in my 2006 rav4, the rear wiper doesn't reach the top of the glass, so i put my camera a few cm down from the top of the glass. which wasn't a big deal since the glass can't be opened separately.

yeah, that means holes in the plastic, but it's a 10 year old car now so it's not such a big deal.

Ditto, just my car are a little younger, but i have put 2 screws in the center console to mount my flashlight, and i have used the dremel too on the center console to be able to route a wire.

Even if i was to sell my little POS car one day the buyer will not be looking at little things like that, and besides if i am going to sell it then it will probably be in a deal on a new car, in which case dealers might pay upwards of 30.000 Kr for a wreck, just like the Fiat punto i traded in when i got the Suzuki.
But even if i sold to a person i am sure that person will just be looking for a cheap car, that have 2 years on it before the last inspection it will fail unless you pour a lot of money into the wreck on wheels.

Ditto, just my car are a little younger, but i have put 2 screws in the center console to mount my flashlight, and i have used the dremel too on the center console to be able to route a wire.

Even if i was to sell my little POS car one day the buyer will not be looking at little things like that, and besides if i am going to sell it then it will probably be in a deal on a new car, in which case dealers might pay upwards of 30.000 Kr for a wreck, just like the Fiat punto i traded in when i got the Suzuki.
But even if i sold to a person i am sure that person will just be looking for a cheap car, that have 2 years on it before the last inspection it will fail unless you pour a lot of money into the wreck on wheels.
I haven't had to make any extra holes yet, but I sure feel like making a few just to let off some steam right now... :p Update coming later...

It sure did, actually when dad was young, drilling holes all over your car was the norm at the drag strip.
I have seen pics of old dragsters that looked like Swiss cheese. :giggle:

It sure did, actually when dad was young, drilling holes all over your car was the norm at the drag strip.
I have seen pics of old dragsters that looked like Swiss cheese. :giggle:
that's known as "adding lightness" in most any type of auto racing. that and simply removing stuff like the interior, spare, jack, glass, lights, some even go so far as removing unneeded wires from the harness.

that's known as "adding lightness" in most any type of auto racing. that and simply removing stuff like the interior, spare, jack, glass, lights, some even go so far as removing unneeded wires from the harness.

don't forget when it got to the stage of no paint, or acid dipping the body shells

Hehe indeed, our speed hungry forefathers was very creative in the quest for speed.
I like the wire harness in my friends 1958 Chevy, its so simple even i got it, and really doubling the numbers of wires and i would have been lost.
I am really not a buff in electrics, i just know the very basics, and then i am not afraid to give it a go.
First time as a ship engineer it was with a pounding heart i flew to Australia to engage the ship, after all aside for the heading everything else was up to me, and its not like i have the engineer education.

AND ! the ship first went down several years after i left it. :)

Ugh! I have learned never to buy dollar store electrical tape. I should have known better. The stuff just slides off everything. Good thing I had some zip ties, packing tape, and liquid soap around to help fish the cable through the grommet...

20180725_220429 packing tape and soap save the day -s.jpg

Thanks for the awesome write up. I hate that rubber tube. How hard did you pull on the wire going through that? I don’t want to strip or break any wires within that rubber tube. It also looks like you folded the cable? Doesn’t it make it way too thick?

Back