A few general questions

Beer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all. My SG is set to arrive here in a couple weeks and I had a few questions. This is my first dash cam. I also bought the Cell Power CPUSB01 hardwire kit and plan to have it installed professionally.
  • G-Sensor.. how does this work? Does the camera turn on and instantly start recording if a shock is detected? If so, is it in some kind of low power sleep state at this point? What about motion detection? I'm curious about power draw.
  • I seem to remember reading somewhere that this camera has a feature that will allow it to auto-shutoff before the battery dies in the car. Is that true? I don't see it listed as a feature anywhere.
  • Does the camera somehow know when the car is shut off if you wire it to continuous power? What tells the camera to stop recording... or does it stop recording?
Thanks o_O

1) G-sensor is used to move the segment being recorded at the time of the trigger into read only folder. No other ad makes G-Sensor options, just the basics

2) The camera has a Super capacitor and not a battery. The auto shut off option only has to do with how long the camera waits to turn off if you've manually stopped the recording and then walked away. (A rare even, nothing most would ever want to use). Camera auto records and power down gracefully based on of power is present or not nothing more.

3) Most cars cigarette power ports are only energized when you start the car and are dead when you shut the engine off. See last sentence in #2 above

For hard wire:
Most people hookup the CPUSB01 to a switched ACC fuse circuit power source so it only records while driving. It's a bit punishing on the hardware and card to leave it recording 24/7. I actually recommend people use the Vico-Power plus for advanced power options and shorter timer cutoff shutdowns.

1) G-sensor is used to move the segment being recorded at the time of the trigger into read only folder. No other ad makes G-Sensor options, just the basics

2) The camera has a Super capacitor and not a battery. The auto shut off option only has to do with how long the camera waits to turn off if you've manually stopped the recording and then walked away. (A rare even, nothing most would ever want to use). Camera auto records and power down gracefully based on of power is present or not nothing more.

3) Most cars cigarette power ports are only energized when you start the car and are dead when you shut the engine off. See last sentence in #2 above

For hard wire:
Most people hookup the CPUSB01 to a switched ACC fuse circuit power source so it only records while driving. It's a bit punishing on the hardware and card to leave it recording 24/7. I actually recommend people use the Vico-Power plus for advanced power options and shorter timer cutoff shutdowns.

Thanks for the response

1) I guess I misunderstood the g-sensor and motion detection. I thought these features existed to capture video if something happens to the vehicle while the driver is away (e.g. shopping cart, parking lot hit and run, etc).

2) I know it has a supercapacitor, I meant the car battery. My mistake, it was in the CPUSB01's features where I read this, not the SG: "You can also wire it to Non-Switched Battery fuse power circuit and it will supply power 24/7 until Battery Discharge Prevention kicks in and shuts off the camera."

3) Yeah.. in reference to #1, I thought the camera could be wired to a continuous power circuit for the g-sensor/motion detection. So.. it wouldn't record 24/7, but it would remain powered to start recording in case shock was detected by the g-sensor

I guess my whole post was based around a misunderstanding of the g-sensor. ;)

I guess my whole post was based around a misunderstanding of the g-sensor. ;)

Any questions are always welcome ! Better safe than sorry ! ;)

Back