A warning for the Mobius Case from JooVuu

Biker

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Driving along the freeway, speed about 100 kilometers per hour, the Mobius attached to the handlebar with a RAM Camera mount. Saw something lift off from the bike and sail away and noticed the the Mobius was missing.

Apparently the camera screw mount on the Joovuu case is, or was not, manufactured correctly. The screws for the camera screw thread were not tightened enough and unscrewed themself. Cannot really blame the bike, a Honda Goldwing is not exactly known for handlebar vibrations ;-)!
I am lucky that the case with the camera did not damage one of the cars travelling behind my bike.

Heavy traffic and the law prevented me to stop and look for the camera. If the contact with the road did not damage the camera there is a high probability that it was run over by a car or a lorry.
Quite an expensive day, the case, the Mobius and a 32 GB memory card, all lost!

I will try to change the the positive reviews I have written, at least two of them have not been published yet.

So if you own, or are thinking of buying, a Joovuu water proof case for the Mobius, be warned!

Probably a good idea, even your lounge chair on wheels will vibrate enough for this to happen, I'd imagine some of the RC products would do similar but would take a lot longer and be a less catastrophic result

Maybe give @JooVuu the feedback and see if they'll give you a price break on a replacement

The soon to be released Innovv C3 might be worth a look also

There is also a question about the construction of Joovuus Case. The screws goes just about a millimeter into the case itself and gives not much of a grip.

And I am communicating with Joovuu about the problem. Wrote the first message just as a friendly warning, the same as I have the pleasure of forwarding to you Jokiin, make sure you have your screws under control ;-)!

I've never seen the case so not familiar with how it's put together

Does it have provision for a lanyard?

my fixing system prevent all unscrewing, because the screw that fix the joowu case is tigthen by a piece of foam that disables it's unsrewing possible, and I can, while driving, make sure that the camera does'nt get loose + I have little life lines that holds the lot, in case of ????? .... of course it's not the most aesthetic, but who cares, I do not ride like a Flasher, but like a Rocker heheheheheeeee

I can even manualy, (while riding) turn the camera to film sideways, if a nice panorama is not facing front

Thanks "Biker" for the warning. I was using mine on my helmet a couple of days ago. I just checked the screws and they were not very tight, in fact one was quite loose. But that's not the end of the problem as I see it!

The screws are very tiny - approx. 1mm. x 2mm. long and screw into very small brass ferrules moulded into the plastic waterproof case... like very tiny versions of the brass tripod mount screw socket. As I see it, these brass ferrules have very little contact area and could quite easily pull out of the casing. I'm certainly not happy to just put it back together and tighten the screws up.

I think a redesign is needed here but I'm going to screw mine back together with a layer of Araldite between the mount, the case, and into the screw sockets... I can't see any reason to remove the mount in the future?

Edit:- To Jokiin, yes it has provision for a lanyard and it's always worth using a "belt and braces" approach.

Driving along the freeway, speed about 100 kilometers per hour, the Mobius attached to the handlebar with a RAM Camera mount. Saw something lift off from the bike and sail away and noticed the the Mobius was missing.

Apparently the camera screw mount on the Joovuu case is, or was not, manufactured correctly. !

It took a couple of weeks to get a response from Joovuu (during that time I got a new Mobius camera delivered from the Far East). But I finally got a replacement case free of charge, a nice way to treat a customer!

The new case has been secured, I tightened the scews and glued the tripod mount to the base of the case. Fastened a strap to both parts of the case and are letting the strap be pinched between the halves of the Ram Mount. Seems to be working OK sofar!How to secure a Mobius water proof case.jpg

Hi Biker
I'm sorry it took you a while to get a response from us. What was your ticket number so we can chase this up and see where we messed up? We hate taking more than about 12 hours to respond. We know we do sometimes and in those situations we like to understand why so in the future it does not happen again.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

Hi Biker
I'm sorry it took you a while to get a response from us. What was your ticket number so we can chase this up and see where we messed up?
JooVuu

Hi Daniel!
Reported the problem to you on the 15th of July (Ticket 1332). Followed up with an email on the 16th. You replied on the 17th and promised to send a replacement. Did not get any order confirmation from you then.
Waited until the 27th, reminded you.
Got an order confirmation this time, and message on the 31st saying the the case was sent. Received it on the 8th of August. Usually a parcel from the UK takes two to three days to reach me.
And it is still in working order (although extra secured as you can see in my previous message) :)!

I lost one of my screws from my case and where would I get a replacement?
Bob

Back