A118 GPS Module inside view

chris-s

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR750S-2CH, DR750X-2CH, A129-DUO, many others...
Last edited:
you'd probably have to desolder the metal shield with the G-top sticker to find the chipset. what's on the other side of the circuit board besides the antenna?

I can't access to the other side, it is glued to the housing :rolleyes:

I can't access to the other side, it is glued to the housing :rolleyes:

Just stuck with a bit of double sided tape, only the antenna to see though

A keen DIY'er might do a small mod to the inside of the housing and then mount the internals back in the other way if they preferred to have the GPS stuck on the glass

A keen DIY'er might do a small mod to the inside of the housing and then mount the internals back in the other way if they preferred to have the GPS stuck on the glass
This does indeed work.
The only change needed is to move the cable to the other side of the board so it is on the antenna side.

Caution is needed as it is a shielded cable and the shield may be exposed, which must not short anything on the board. I have 2 units, one the shield was a bit exposed, the other it's covered by the jacket.

I did this and it works great on my wife's Rav4 with the antenna mounted hidden under the "dots" right next to the B40.

Attachments

• 20150510_220741.jpg
    20150510_220741.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20150510_221042.jpg
    20150510_221042.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20150510_221122.jpg
    20150510_221122.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20150510_221147.jpg
    20150510_221147.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 58
best if you find there's a bit of excess shielding is just trim that back while you have it apart

the new ones we use now are a bit easier to do this than the version you have here

Long time lurker using this forum as an invaluable source of (otherwise scarce) information - thank you.

I unscrewed my GPS to module to assure myself that it was indeed the same as in the above photos. It was. I had stuck it to the windscreen the wrong way around (I discovered) and GPS lock was pretty slow. My circuit board was pretty well stuck down and I didn't fancy trying to force it out. So instead I took the spare piece of double sided sticky pad that came with the dashcam itself, cut it half, and stuck it to the top ('GPS' text side) of the unit. Then stuck it back onto the windscreen in its previous place (on the 'dots' on the other side of the mirror from the dashcam. It's now the correct way up and works perfectly. No GPS surgery required!

Thanks again for all the hints and tips here. :)

If you connect it to a computer (serial port), the first thing that this module spits out is detailed version info including chipset type.

Back