A119 as Home Security Camera 24/7

Update: I have been running this setup 24/7 in time lapsed mode at 1 FPS for over 1.5 YEARS now! It hasn't missed a beat! No issues whatsoever. I literally have it running 24 hours a day, everyday. I check the videos a few times a month, and everything is recorded as it should. The GPS keeps the time accurate to the second! I’m running the latest firmware.

I just pulled the memory card now to show you a sample file listing. Each file captures 1 hour (condensed to 3 minutes at 1 FPS). I use a 128 GB memory card which holds exactly 2 weeks of videos before it is looped/overwritten.
By now, you should have enough video and GPS records to measure how fast your house is moving due to continental drift!

@viofo I attempted something similar putting my A119 V1 in to my home security DVR via the AV port but found it only would deliver 640 x 480 res. I don't understand how the cam can record in HD but the AV is only VGA.

I have another dash cam that is also HD and outputs HD from its AV port. It does use the Ambarella A7 chipset however. Does a great job and has audio too. Two reasons I stopped using it 1. I broke the memory card holder (DOH!) 2. I purchased the A119. Soon I'm getting the A129 hopefully from Viofo directly.

@viofo I attempted something similar putting my A119 V1 in to my home security DVR via the AV port but found it only would deliver 640 x 480 res. I don't understand how the cam can record in HD but the AV is only VGA.

AV only support analogue resolutions, 480 lines in NTSC, or 576 lines in PAL

AHD output would seem practical for a HD dashcam.

AHD output would seem practical for a HD dashcam.
If the cam can do the recording itself, there's no need for a video output at all imho. In fact lots of dashcams don't have an av out jack at all. Some have WiFi to let you connect a phone or something, and you can download the full resolution clips that way, but even that isn't really necessary as long as you can remove the memory card and view clips on a computer.

Back