A119S Parking Mode Beta

• Thread starter Deleted member 40445
  • Start date
Regarding to Parking Mode of Viofo A119S v2 (with Firmware v2.1 / v2.2) :

What is the difference between using only Parking Mode and using Time Lapse + Motion Detection? As far as I know there is a fps setting in PM that is equal to 200 ms in Time Lapse setting. Why I ask this question is that: When using PM, there is missed footage for seconds, minutes and hours. Will using Time Lapse for 200ms (5 fps I think) solve this missing footage problem and keep continuously recording while entire parking period?

Regarding to Parking Mode of Viofo A119S v2 (with Firmware v2.1 / v2.2) :

What is the difference between using only Parking Mode and using Time Lapse + Motion Detection? As far as I know there is a fps setting in PM that is equal to 200 ms in Time Lapse setting. Why I ask this question is that: When using PM, there is missed footage for seconds, minutes and hours. Will using Time Lapse for 200ms (5 fps I think) solve this missing footage problem and keep continuously recording while entire parking period?

Parking Mode once enabled detects when the vehicle is moving with G-Sensor data. It will automatically switch from normal recording mode to Time Lapse to reduce clip file size if vehicle is parked for hours. Prior to Firmware v1.7 we had to manually enable Time Lapse before getting out of parked vehicle then disable upon returning, Parking Mode does it using G-Sensor data.
I prefer not to interact with my dashcams each time I enter/exit the vehicle. I prefer not recording continuous frames of any parked area. I prefer saving memory card space for normal video clips. If you disable Parking Mode and enable Time Lapse the dashcam only records Time Lapse even while driving until its disabled.

Last edited:
Parking Mode once enabled detects when the vehicle is moving with G-Sensor data. It will automatically switch from normal recording mode to Time Lapse to reduce clip file size if vehicle is parked for hours. Prior to Firmware v1.7 we had to manually enable Time Lapse before getting out of parked vehicle then disable upon returning, Parking Mode does it using G-Sensor data.
I prefer not to interact with my dashcams each time I enter/exit the vehicle. I prefer not recording continuous frames of any parked area. I prefer saving memory card space for normal video clips. If you disable Parking Mode and enable Time Lapse the dashcam only records Time Lapse even while driving until its disabled.

Thanks a lot for explanations. I have also observed these good explanations after making some testing with my dashcam. However, the only problem is:
In Parking Mode: When using it, there are lots of missing footage due to not detecting motion. Dashcam goes to sleeping when no detecting any motion. I am not sure why:(
In Time Lapse : There is no missing footage, however it is not possible to switch every time between Normal and Loop recording.

So, I just need to record normal mode while driving and for 5 fps recording during parking without any missing footage. What should I do? Will updating firmware from v2.1 to v2.2 solve this problem? Or is there something wrong causing missing footage? (I think it is only due to not detecting movement and going to sleep).

So, I just need to record normal mode while driving and for 5 fps recording during parking without any missing footage. What should I do? Will updating firmware from v2.1 to v2.2 solve this problem? Or is there something wrong causing missing footage? (I think it is only due to not detecting movement and going to sleep).
Updating firmware from V2.1 to V2.2 will not change the operation of the Parking Mode. The Parking mode "goes to sleep" to conserve file storage space when no significant activity is occurring, i.e., it is designed to do that.

Updating firmware from V2.1 to V2.2 will not change the operation of the Parking Mode. The Parking mode "goes to sleep" to conserve file storage space when no significant activity is occurring, i.e., it is designed to do that.

Yes, you are right. But as Viofo cannot record videos before any motion in this mode (parking), it is not useless as the important part of the video is missed suc a kind of hit, etc. So, I think the best idea for this scenario using the dashcam in normal mode while driving and switch to Loop Recording when parking in order to prevent any missing footage during parking..

On the other hand, what is the best option for loop recording? I used 200 ms but it seems to be fast for me. Any idea?

On the other hand, what is the best option for loop recording? I used 200 ms but it seems to be fast for me. Any idea?
There is a terminology problem here. When you say "Loop Recording" I think you mean "Time-Lapse Recording"...correct me if I'm wrong. These are two different functions of the A119S camera.

In the Loop Recording menu selection, you are setting the time limit for a Normal recording before a new video file is started. If Loop Recording is set to something other than OFF, then when the microSD card is full, the A119S will delete the oldest file before recording the current file, hence it loops automatically to continue recording new files even though the memory card is full. If Loop Recording is OFF, the A119 will stop recording when the card is full.

Time-Lapse Recording (the menu selection) sets the A119 to record constantly at a reduced frame rate. The Time-Lapse Recording menu settings are listed as time between frames in milliseconds or seconds. In Parking Mode, Time-lapse recording is listed as the inverse or frames per second (fps). For example, recording 200 msec time between frames is equivalent to recording 5 frames per second. The Time-lapse files are consolidated into 2 minute 30 fps video files.

To answer what I think is your question, it is really a personal choice, but my personal preference is 200 msec or 5 fps. For Loop Recording, my personal preference is 3 minute recordings.

Last edited:
There is a terminology problem here. When you say "Loop Recording" I think you mean "Time-Lapse Recording"...correct me if I'm wrong. These are two different functions of the A119S camera.

In the Loop Recording menu selection, you are setting the time limit for a Normal recording before a new video file is started. If Loop Recording is set to something other than OFF, then when the microSD card is full, the A119S will delete the oldest file before recording the current file, hence it loops automatically to continue recording new files even though the memory card is full. If Loop Recording is OFF, the A119 will stop recording when the card is full.

Time-Lapse Recording (the menu selection) sets the A119 to record constantly at a reduced frame rate. The Time-Lapse Recording menu settings are listed as time between frames in milliseconds or seconds. In Parking Mode, Time-lapse recording is listed as the inverse or frames per second (fps). For example, recording 200 msec time between frames is equivalent to recording 5 frames per second. The Time-lapse files are consolidated into 2 minute 30 fps video files.

To answer what I think is your question, it is really a personal choice, but my personal preference is 200 msec or 5 fps. For Loop Recording, my personal preference is 3 minute recordings.

Yes, I mean "Time-Lapse Recording" :) On the other hand, I thought that 200ms is 5 fps, but looking at the videos recorded 200 ms in time lapse seems to be faster than the videos recorded in parking mode with 5fps. Maybe I think like that, but I just wanted to the functionality of it and then I can change the settings correctly. Many thanks for your kind replies...

Yes, I mean "Time-Lapse Recording" :) On the other hand, I thought that 200ms is 5 fps, but looking at the videos recorded 200 ms in time lapse seems to be faster than the videos recorded in parking mode with 5fps. Maybe I think like that, but I just wanted to the functionality of it and then I can change the settings correctly. Many thanks for your kind replies...
200 msec per frame is the inverse of 5 frames per sec (fps). They are equivalent representations. Edit: The inverse of X is (1/X).

Last edited:
Most Parking Mode users would request VIOFO include a cache buffer to capture 5 seconds before motion was detected (pre-record time). Other security cameras include settings to control idle/parking mode sensitivity (low,med,high), trigger threshold interval (1-5sec), scene detection area mask (full,center,custom), pre-recorded time (1-5sec), alarm recording time after detected motion (10sec - 5 mins). The A119S isn't a home security camera but these are the settings hidden in the new Parking Mode feature, users just don't have access to them. If VIOFO includes any or all (becomes overwhelming for novice owners) of these hidden settings it would be an amazing leap towards the ultimate fully customization dashcam currently not sold by any company. All that plus include full image quality control configuration settings for brightness, contrast, gamma, hue, saturation, sharpness would elevate VIOFO's profile as a leader in the mid-range Dashcam market.

Last edited:
Most Parking Mode users would request VIOFO include a cache buffer to capture 5 seconds before motion was detected (pre-record time). Other security cameras include settings to control idle/parking mode sensitivity (low,med,high), trigger threshold interval (1-5sec), scene detection area mask (full,center,custom), pre-recorded time (1-5sec), alarm recording time after detected motion (10sec - 5 mins). The A119S isn't a home security camera but these are the settings hidden in the new Parking Mode feature, users just don't have access to them. If VIOFO includes any or all (becomes overwhelming for novice owners) of these hidden settings it would be an amazing leap towards the ultimate fully customization dashcam currently not sold by any company. All that plus include full image quality control configuration settings for brightness, contrast, gamma, hue, saturation, sharpness would elevate VIOFO's profile as a leader in the mid-range Dashcam market.

You are right... There should be a "pre-buffer" and automatic switch feature from Loop Recording to Driving Mode and vice versa... I sent a message to Viofo in order to point out this serious necessity... I hope other users would also send request regarding to this issue...

Back