A119v3 Catches a redlight Camera flash

GTA Driver

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Iroad 3300CH, G1W-c, Mobius C, A119 v1 & v3, A118-c2
Caught a redlight camera flashing a red light runner

Note, the flash occurs before the car (Toyota Camry) crosses the line. At that same intersection, there was a more blatant case of someone running the red. I saw the flash that time but the a119v3 didn't catch it. Could be that I was right lane and there may have been some obstruction.

I saw the flash that time but the a119v3 didn't catch it.
The flash is probably too fast for a A119 V3 in daylight, it has its shutter closed most of the time so there is only a small chance of catching a short flash.
I guess that flash is for reading the plate while it is still close to the camera, there will be more images as it crosses the junction, but the plate is already caught so they don't need a flash, at least in good lighting.

I wonder if the purpose of the flash is to warn the driver that they were nabbed. I know after seeing this a few times, i am coming to a full stop at that intersection.
I guess that flash is for reading the plate while it is still close to the camera, there will be more images as it crosses the junction

I hope it takes multiple images and takes at lease one clip over the line. I live close to the area and want to walk and drive around there safely. There was a fatal accident there several years ago.

I wonder if the purpose of the flash is to warn the driver that they were nabbed. I know after seeing this a few times, i am coming to a full stop at that intersection.

I hope it takes multiple images and takes at lease one clip over the line. I live close to the area and want to walk and drive around there safely. There was a fatal accident there several years ago.
The main purpose of the flash is to take a photo with no motion blur so that the plate can be read, so they use a very fast flash, hence the A119 often missing it.

I think the flash being visible to other drivers is a good deterrent and good for road safety, however having installed one of these cameras, they normally want it to pay for itself, and maybe make a profit, so I doubt the flash is intentionally visible!

I hope it takes multiple images and takes at lease one clip over the line.
I think the ones we have here make a whole series of flashes as the vehicle crosses the junction, but that may well be a deterrent rather than necessary. Once you have read the plate then I don't think any more flashes are necessary, the rest of the photos can be motion blurred, and a single flash would be significantly cheaper to implement, the flash gun can then take a few seconds to recharge.

We don't have many of them here though, we have roundabouts instead, which solves the safety problem far more effectively.

Interesting. Usually the RLC takes two images, one with the car about to enter the intersection and the light ahead red, and then a second photo with the car in the middle of the intersection. Many systems now also have a lower res video to make the overall encounter even more clear. The photos are higher resolution and, combined with a flash (whether it's the main light source at night or a fill flash during the daytime, especially for highly reflective license plates) are what's used to read the plate itself.

I'd assume that this RLC shot two photos, but due to the timing of the A119's exposures, it may have only caught one of the flashes.

but due to the timing of the A119's exposures, it may have only caught one of the flashes.
That is quite likely, the flashes should be very short and easy for an A119 to miss in good lighting.
But our driver should probably have seen both...

Wow oldskool with the flash.

I was informed in the Toronto Driving Reddit that two pictures are taken. Additionally, A Canadian Insurance website states:

Vehicles that enter the intersection on a yellow light, or those that were already in the intersection before the light turned red, are not penalized. Only cars that pass the stop line after the light has turned red are photographed.

I am supposing with the above, it needs to pictures to determine if a car entered before intersection before the light turned red

Of the two times I have seen these things go off, only once did my camera record the flash and perhaps only one. I thought the flash was more striking when I saw with my naked eye and it appears there were two flashes.

Last edited:
GEEZ! You guys have this ALL wrong, but there is a reason for that. You may "believe" that what you've seen was a traffic camera but that's what THEY want you to think. These traffic intersections are really equipped with industrial sized Neuralyzers!

This is a 'neuralyzer'. A gift from some "friends from out of town". The red eye here isolates and measures the electronic impulses in your brains. More specifically, the ones for memory.

neuralyzer.jpg

A Neuralyzer is:

An electro bio-mechanical neural transmitting zero synapse repositioner, commonly referred to as a neuralyzer which is a top secret device used by certain governments and their agents. It has the ability to wipe the mind of anybody who sees the flash via isolating and editing certain electronic impulses related to memory. Once people are neuralyzed, they seem to enter a trance that leaves their minds prone to suggestion. This enables agents to replace memories with fictional cover stories and even give them certain instructions. Neuralyzers are used for the maintenance of secrecy.

A neuralyzer is a device that can varying in size, that wipes the memory of a target. The set length of memory erased can be changed using dials, and the effects can be reversed. In order for agents to not be harmed by the effects, they have "special" "Ray-Ban" sunglasses, that deflect the light created by the neuralyzer. It is the standard equipment of officers. After being neuralyzed, if the agent does not supply the new memory, or a group of people get neuralyzed, a special team is sent in to give memories, and change the environment to reflect these memories. The neuralyzer can also affect species other than humans, like some animals and alien organisms.

Now you know! :smuggrin:

Last edited:
P.S. I really hope @GTA Driver is OK. I wonder what really went down right before they zapped him with the neuralyzer at that intersection and they implanted the memory of a traffic camera. :stig:

There are 150 of these in the Toronto Area and two in the neighbourhood I live in. I see two of these when I walk the dog, therefore there is probably a higher density of these where I live than other areas. To my knowledge, there are none in the areas I work at. I wonder why they are more interested in neuralyzing my neighbours than my co-workers.

Edit: Looking at google streetview, there are these cameras at the two intersections closest to the office I work at the most frequently. I just haven't noticed them. For an area as large as Toronto, I encounter 4 of them. That means they really want to Neutralize me.

Seriously, though I have never seen a flash at the two locations close to work. I drive around home more frequently than work. The two days I have seen these things go off is on a weekend or day off.

Last edited:
I am supposing with the above, it needs to pictures to determine if a car entered before intersection before the light turned red
Yes, for proof it will need a photo of the car before it passes the red light and one with it after passing the red light.

I still think that only the first requires the flash in order to read the plate, on the second, it is not necessary to read the plate and if the car is turning then it may not be possible anyway.

The ones I used to drive past were only sometimes working, I think because keeping them operational was expensive, either they still used film or someone had to go and collect the SD cards, or their one camera was moved around the many boxes, spending most of its time in the boxes where it caught the most people. Having installed a box on its pole, they would never take it down again even if it didn't catch anyone so was never used again, the box and pole remained a deterrent to anyone that saw it.

Back