A129 Dual Wiring

Stumann

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
viofo A119
I'm trying to figure out the wiring for my recently purchased A129 Dual. The instruction manual is very vague. All it says is "Plug the USB power adapter into your vehicle's 12v / 24v female power socket." On some cars, this is battery power, some cars this goes off with the ignition. Where should my power come from, ignition power or battery power? It seems it would need battery power to run the parking mode, but that could drain the battery, but how could the parking mode work if there's no power to the unit? It's confusing. I really don't want to invest in the "Hard wire kit" if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.

If you want to use parking mode, you will need to use the HK3 hardwire kit.

Yes the normal for all dashcams is to be powered from the 12 V socket in the dash or console, that will work fine when driving but not support parking guard / mode.
Another problem here, though rare to my understanding is this plug in some cars are live all the time, or in other cases a little while after you left the car, which is just fine the camera just record you leaving.

But if that socket are on all the time and you plug a dashcam into it, it will of course record all the time, and so in the end / given enough time deplete your cars battery.
Also the camera record in normal mode, and so using as much power as it can, and generating as much heat as it will, which will be a problem if you park in the sun, though all cams now have overheat protection which also work in regular mode.

If you have such a socket, some times the dealer can reprogram it to ACC so it is only on when the car is running.

Alternative you can buy a 12 V female socket + fuse adapter, and then wire into a ACC fuse in the fuse box, here you just have to make sure the female and male part can not wiggle loose / apart, but a bit of duct tape on the two will make sure that do not happen.
iu

Some also want their in dash 12 V socket free for other stuff like phone charge ASO, and quite understandable.
So you can use the provided power source and a female plug as i say above, or you can get the hard wire kit, CUZ even with that you of course dont have to use parking guard, but its just a little more expensive way to keep your in dash socket free.
Others use a 12 V socket splitter, but its not nice sitting there in the 12 V socket, alternative you can get 3 port 12 V extensions, i actually have 2 of those in my glove box so i have six 12 V plugs to tap into with dashcams or other low power stuff.

iu

Of course then you have to plug 12 V chargers ASO into the plugs now in your glove box like me, or perhaps under your seat.
I also use to have one of these 3 port splitters in the back in the old days, to power single channel cameras on my rear window, CUZ you DO NOT want to run long USB cables, they have too large power drop.

Using a hard wire kit, well this have a low voltage cut off switch, you use to make sure your battery do net get depleted too deep, 12.2 if generally advised as the lowest voltage you will go, and that's regarded as a 50 % depleted lead acid battery.
The selectable low voltage on hard wire kits are often 11.8 - 12.0 - 12.2 - 12.4 volts.
I prefer to not get to that cuz i have a little car with a little battery ( 55 Ah )
having a viiofo camera you of course have to use the corresponding viofo hardwire kit, generic hard wire kits will not work

Also many dashcams have a parking guard timer that can turn things off no matter the voltage, i use this myself set to 3 hours as that cover all my shopping and elsewhere i am covered by CCTV cameras.
The selectable time durations are often between a hour and up to 48 hours

Last edited:
I recently purchased a 2024 VW Atlas Cross Sport SEL, this vehicle only has one 12V adaptor in the rear. This new vehicle has several USB C jacks, one of which is in the Mirror. But NO 12 volt in the front of the vehicle area. So I have written several vendors about dash cams and if they power by USB C. No luck so far. So I don't want to have to rip apart the front of the vehicle to run cables to power this dash cam. Does anyone know of a dash cam that is powered by a USB C cable?

Thanks
Roy

Attachments

• IMG_5727.JPG
    IMG_5727.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 2
Back