A129 Plus Duo video length

jayeljon

Reaction score
I have a problem with my camera with the video length. If I format the card in the camera and leave the card in the camera it records video normally, then when I take the card and put in my computer to display the video using "Dashcam Viewer" everything looks good, length displayed as for example 02m24s. Then I put the card back into the camera and videos from that point, when displayed in "Dashcam Viewer" shows video length of 00m-1s. If if format the card in the camera again all videos from that point are normal until I again put it in the computer. I don't think the problem is the viewer because if I copy the videos from the card to a location on the HD to view in "Dashcam Viewer", I get the same result. I've tried different cards, with same result. If I view the files list in windows explorer or view the video with another viewer such as MPC-HC the length shows correctly.​

Exact type and size of sd CARD ? Fat32, exfat, ntfs

Last edited:
Do you turn the camera off when removing the card?

I have a problem with my camera with the video length. If I format the card in the camera and leave the card in the camera it records video normally, then when I take the card and put in my computer to display the video using "Dashcam Viewer" everything looks good, length displayed as for example 02m24s. Then I put the card back into the camera and videos from that point, when displayed in "Dashcam Viewer" shows video length of 00m-1s. If if format the card in the camera again all videos from that point are normal until I again put it in the computer. I don't think the problem is the viewer because if I copy the videos from the card to a location on the HD to view in "Dashcam Viewer", I get the same result. I've tried different cards, with same result. If I view the files list in windows explorer or view the video with another viewer such as MPC-HC the length shows correctly.​
So even if you insert the card back after viewing videos on the computer and start to record, the video length is correct if you view them in window explorer or MPC-HC, but only shows 1S in Dashcam Viewer, right? If yes, then the problem may be still related to the Dashcam Viewer.

Exact type and size of sd CARD ? Fat32, exfat, ntfs
I've used an SP 128 gig 3D NAND, Samsung EVO Plus 128 gig, and Samsung EVO Plus 256 gig. All with the same result.
Do you turn the camera off when removing the card?
Yes I actually take the camera out of the care before removing the card.
So even if you insert the card back after viewing videos on the computer and start to record, the video length is correct if you view them in window explorer or MPC-HC, but only shows 1S in Dashcam Viewer, right? If yes, then the problem may be still related to the Dashcam Viewer.
Yes, that is correct. The reason I don't think it is Dashcam Viewer is because I've tried coping files from the card to the computer before reading them with Dashcam Viewer and still get the same results. I've even tried that with two different computers and still the same.

I've used an SP 128 gig 3D NAND, Samsung EVO Plus 128 gig, and Samsung EVO Plus 256 gig. All with the same result.

Yes I actually take the camera out of the care before removing the card.

Yes, that is correct. The reason I don't think it is Dashcam Viewer is because I've tried coping files from the card to the computer before reading them with Dashcam Viewer and still get the same results. I've even tried that with two different computers and still the same.
Have you played the videos in other players? Can they be played normally? Since you have mentioned that the videos can be played if you format the card on the camera and the three cards you use are all not recommended, we suggest changing a recommended card to test: 1692325412255.png.

You use Not recomended card i think

Last edited:
So I have a Sandisk Ultra 32G card as pictured above. I tried a test with it. I formatted the card in the camera and recorded the first video. Took the card out and put into my laptop and viewed the video, all good. I took the card out of the computer and replaced into the camera and recorded the second video and still have the same problem. This is a screen shot of the Dashcam Viewer display. Note the length of the video displayed in the video list upper left. The correct length is displayed below the video. This video length in the upper left prevents me from editing the video or stitching together multiple videos.

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    846.9 KB · Views: 14
I don't think the problem is the viewer because if I copy the videos from the card to a location on the HD to view in "Dashcam Viewer", I get the same result.

Hi @jayeljon
Could expand on what you mean in the quote section?

I may be misinterpreting what you mean.
Are you saying that by copying the files from the sd card to the computer and then placing the memory card back in the Dashcam it will no longer record video?

What version of windows are you using and antivirus/malware program?

Cheers

Hi @jayeljon
Could expand on what you mean in the quote section?

I may be misinterpreting what you mean.
Are you saying that by copying the files from the sd card to the computer and then placing the memory card back in the Dashcam it will no longer record video?

What version of windows are you using and antivirus/malware program?

Cheers
No, it still records video. The only problem is after putting the card into the computer the video length is incorrect as indicated in the sample screen shot above.

What about another program to view the video ? For example VLC media player ?

Have you played the videos in other players? Can they be played normally? Since you have mentioned that the videos can be played if you format the card on the camera and the three cards you use are all not recommended, we suggest changing a recommended card to test: View attachment 66967.
So I got a new Sandisk Extreme 256MB card as recommended and still have the same problem. 1692825859066.png

No, it still records video. The only problem is after putting the card into the computer the video length is incorrect as indicated in the sample screen shot above.
Ok.
A good way to check what the file length really, is would be to install a program that checks the details of the file.
I suggest this because there maybe something odd happening with that program or the computer.

One program that works well is called Mediainfo
MediaInfo 23.04
Copyright (c) MediaArea.net SARL

Here is the link " Mediainfo link "

This is the type of result you will get.

1692941757889.png

Once installed you select the video file you what to check then right click in windows explorer and it will be one of the options to select.
1692941577920.png

Aren't we talking about parking mode timelaps ??

Aren't we talking about parking mode timelaps ??
Nup not as I read it. The person hasn't been back since August. @jayeljon Has problem gone?
They were talking about an issue related to video length discrepancies when using "Dashcam Viewer" and how formatting the memory card in the camera temporarily resolves the problem.
I can't reproduce the problem.

As for the "problem" of displaying :) the wrong size :) file on the computer, I would attribute it more to a problem in the computer. At least I think that displaying the file size regardless of file type is a perfectly standard feature. Such a thing wouldn't bother me too much.

I'm just guessing that it's theoretically possible that locked files in linux dashcam may behave incorrectly in Windows ... but I'm not that knowledgeable -- it's just an untested theory.

It's more of a curiosity, some incompatibility where the problem is not on the dashcam side. Files are free of defects and functional.

Nup not as I read it. The person hasn't been back since August. @jayeljon Has problem gone?
They were talking about an issue related to video length discrepancies when using "Dashcam Viewer" and how formatting the memory card in the camera temporarily resolves the problem.
I can't reproduce the problem.
The problem is still there, I just gave up on it. I let the camera reformat monthly and it's not a problem as long as I don't put the card in the computer. The problem will be if I ever want to stitch or otherwise edit the video files, it won't let me.

Back