A129 Pro Duo vs two A119 v3?

bhluhlvk

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Cons with A129 Pro Duo:
  • Its rear camera is not 4K. It's only Full HD.
  • Viewing angle is 130 degrees vs 140 on other Viofo models.
  • Being a dual cam, the rear cam cannot fit a CPL filter.
I'm thinking of buying two A119 v3 cams, with CPL filters for both of them. The pros of this:
  • Rear cam will have higher resolution than full HD.
  • Rear cam will have less glare since it will have a CPL filter.
  • There will be a redundancy. In case the front cam fails and the rear cam doesn't, I can put move the rear cam to front until I get the broken cam repaired/replaced.
Cons of two separate cam setup compared to a dual cam setup:
  • Will have to buy two memory cards. Not a huge deal IMO.
  • Will have to buy two GPS modules if I end up buying GPS modules.
  • Will have to buy two hardwiring kits? Or can I just somehow buy a 1-to-2 USB adapter or something and share the power coming from one hardwiring kit to both cams?
What are DCT veterans' thoughts on this? Which setup makes more sense? Suggestions on these setups? Or would you suggest another setup?

Regards

Last edited:
Nobody has a duo that has greater than 1080p on the rear. The processing power is too high, as would be the cost at the point of sale. I would hazard a guess that 75% of dashcams cannot take a CPL, thus its only an issue to the few, not the many. 130 or 140 is most likely just a personal preference to most. For me the very wide field of view is worse - I don't need to see the doors on houses or cars on the extreme wide roads like motorways. Full HD is the norm at the moment. 4K and 2K are less popular - the main reason is likely to be that the vast majority of screens (PC) that people view them on are only 1080p anyway, so higher resolutions are superfluous.

To throw a ****ed hat into the arena, I am currently use the Pro Duo front and rear @ 4k & 180, plus an A119 V3 on the front and a A119 V2 on the back. And in winter, CPL's are often removed anyway...

Last edited:
The rear camera can accept a CPL filter - the lens housings front & back are identical.
The rear camera is smaller than a front camera and has no screen or LEDs, so it is less noticeable in the rear view mirror, and also less visible to other drivers following you.

Back