A129 rear camera focus

CasualSaiLo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have noticed that the rear dash cam appears to be blurry and/or out of focus. I compared against the Aukey DR02 it replaced and the Aukey DR02 looks much sharper. Is this normal? I feel like it shouldn't be normal

VIOFO A129 1.pngAukey DR02 1.pngVIOFO A129 2.pngAukey DR02 2.png

I thought the same about mine. I haven't had my camera long or tested fully and I don't have anything to compare it to. I figured maybe the rear window was a bit dirty. I will grab some footage and have better look.

I have noticed that the rear dash cam appears to be blurry and/or out of focus. I compared against the Aukey DR02 it replaced and the Aukey DR02 looks much sharper. Is this normal? I feel like it shouldn't be normal

View attachment 48027View attachment 48030View attachment 48031View attachment 48032
No, that is not normal, first impression was that it is very out of focus, but focus is OK in places so I suspect the issue is dirt on the lens, either fingerprints or maybe the lens protection has not been removed...

I thought the same about mine. I haven't had my camera long or tested fully and I don't have anything to compare it to. I figured maybe the rear window was a bit dirty. I will grab some footage and have better look.

Do you have any pictures to share so that we can compare?

No, that is not normal, first impression was that it is very out of focus, but focus is OK in places so I suspect the issue is dirt on the lens, either fingerprints or maybe the lens protection has not been removed...

I cleaned the lens and CPL filter, and it looks better, but still not as sharp as the front camera or Aukey DR02. As you mentioned, it seems to be in focus in some areas

VIOFO A129 3.pngVIOFO A129 4.pngVIOFO A129 5.png

, and it looks better, but still not as sharp as the front camera or Aukey DR02.
the lens is not adjusted, there is no focus in the center of the frame.

Move the handle so that the camera cannot see the window heating wire.

Move the handle so that the camera cannot see the window heating wire.
That's not going to help.

The camera still seems in focus to me, the poor quality seems unusual. I'm suspecting the remaining problem is due to something on the glass. Do you have some sort of tint on there that could be causing the issue?

Easy way to check is to record a little footage with the camera removed from the glass and looking through nothing but air, ideally looking into the distance but just down at the floor will do as long as it is over a meter away so that it should be in focus.

I'm suspecting the remaining problem is due to something on the glass. Do you have some sort of tint on there that could be causing the issue?
There is no problem on the glass; the problem is inaccurate focusing at the factory. This problem occurs, there should be an output control for the exact focus of the lens.

Here's an example of my rear camera. It's not great.

Viofo-Rear.jpg

Here's an example of my rear camera. It's not great.
Your time is 19-34, the sun at sunset.
Make a video from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., compare the result, if it is the same, then the focus is off.

Last edited:
That's not going to help.

The camera still seems in focus to me, the poor quality seems unusual. I'm suspecting the remaining problem is due to something on the glass. Do you have some sort of tint on there that could be causing the issue?

Easy way to check is to record a little footage with the camera removed from the glass and looking through nothing but air, ideally looking into the distance but just down at the floor will do as long as it is over a meter away so that it should be in focus.

My car only has the factory tint. The glass says transparency 70% minimum. I attached some more pictures. You can see the front is very clear/sharp while the rear is soft/blurry. I took out my old Aukey DR02 and got a few more comparison shots

There is no problem on the glass; the problem is inaccurate focusing at the factory. This problem occurs, there should be an output control for the exact focus of the lens.

Is the only way to fix the problem to get it replaced?

VIOFO A129 06.jpgVIOFO A129 07.jpgVIOFO A129 08.jpgVIOFO A129 09.jpgVIOFO A129 10.jpgVIOFO A129 11.jpgAukey DR02 03.jpgVIOFO A129 12.jpgAukey DR02 04.jpg

Is the only way to fix the problem to get it replaced?
You can fix it yourself if you have the skills of disassembling and focusing the lens.
Better contact Viofo support.

Refocusing a lens isn't hard to do with most cams but it can require several attempts so have patience. The biggest problem is usually freeing the lens from the glue or threadlocker which holds it in place, and sometimes that can be tough to do.

Being that the cam is still in warranty contact Viofo before attempting anything on your own ;)

Phil

My car only has the factory tint. The glass says transparency 70% minimum. I attached some more pictures. You can see the front is very clear/sharp while the rear is soft/blurry. I took out my old Aukey DR02 and got a few more comparison shots
Try recording some video without the glass in the way, just to prove where the problem lies. If the problem is proven to be with the camera then it doesn't matter if it is a focus problem or not, it should be doing better than that and a replacement would seem reasonable.

Here he has taken some pictures outside the car.

Here he has taken some pictures outside the car.
Ahh, didn't look at the last few, seems to have got worse, maybe something is loose?
Anyway, I would count that as defective, not sure if an attempt to focus it would solve the issue or not, so probably best returned.

Back