A129 rear camera mount

I use the Arkon mount on a daily basis. Never noticed any vibration either on city streets or the highway / freeway. Mount is very sturdy if you ask me.
You wont notice the problem as vibration, but it will cause some blurring of the image from motion blur, look up "camera shake" in any photography guide. In a normal car it will just be a small amount, probably only visible at night, and probably not identifiable unless you had side by side testing with a better mount, but mounted a foot from the engine of a 880Kg Elise it will have a significant effect at times.

Consider installing camera on window finisher. I installed rear camera on window finisher (instead of installing on rear window) and it's working perfectly. More pictures: Honda CR-V hardwire Viofo A129 GPS Dual
img_20190210_134924-jpg.44675

I’m not sure these images show well the type of rear screen setup I have

my rear screen and surround is nothing like on a conventional car with a rear screen

as mentioned, the rear screen is vertical with a thin lip around the screen edge

that’s not what’s unusual about the rear screen or it’s surround. the rear screen is made to be taken out so the screen has a thick rubber seal, then after this is a round rollover bar,

so the only option is to mount the DVR on the glass, any bracket attached to the rollover bar like a large jubilee clip will interfere with the rollover bar cover

I do think using the wedges will be my best bet, unless Viofo make different angled shimmies to use on the rear camera
I do think using the wedges will be my best bet, unless Viofo make different angled shimmies

At least you have some glass to mount it on, on this car parked in front of me yesterday I couldn't work out where you could put a dashcam without covering half the windscreen!

y4m4sA46-5D2SQyRw-gNv9gi1A6AXFadQEigJz6hy5C5DGwXTL7WMV3ly2XpSyPUOhK1w_X_MHMqDDnsAYgM3lY5rYltCegcKv2w3krSfgxdcYIYBh4kLvM3fOpJYYUO0qs1moRPvwt1xSoVkZqWHNXu_kh7KLzXsipEB1C1NPIS1cdDvyqp-9oXMfnKveKIh2q

At least you have some glass to mount it on, on this car parked in front of me yesterday I couldn't work out where you could put a dashcam without covering half the windscreen!

y4m4sA46-5D2SQyRw-gNv9gi1A6AXFadQEigJz6hy5C5DGwXTL7WMV3ly2XpSyPUOhK1w_X_MHMqDDnsAYgM3lY5rYltCegcKv2w3krSfgxdcYIYBh4kLvM3fOpJYYUO0qs1moRPvwt1xSoVkZqWHNXu_kh7KLzXsipEB1C1NPIS1cdDvyqp-9oXMfnKveKIh2q

The electric starter hadn't even been invented when those cars were produced. So mounting a dashcam 100 years later might have been a long delayed afterthought.

The electric starter hadn't even been invented when those cars were produced. So mounting a dashcam 100 years later might have been a long delayed afterthought.
Fairly certain they have electric starters, they are only about 90 years old, although Wolseley had been using air starters for many years before they were built, had the advantage that it could also inflate the tires and jack up the car: https://www.wolseleycarclubnz.co.nz/Air Start.html

Not quite so.

The first electric car was developed in the 1830s with the first successful one introduced to the market in 1891, in Des Moines, IA, USA - built by William Morrison. In the early 1900s electric automobiles were commonplace and quite popular. No electric starter required in these vehicles.

electric_car.jpg

first-electric-car.jpg

Last edited:
Not quite so.

The first electric car was developed in the 1830s with the first successful one introduced to the market in 1891, in Des Moines, IA, USA - built by William Morrison. In the early 1900s electric automobiles were commonplace and quite popular. No electric starter required in these vehicles.

View attachment 45490

You do realize these vehicles had cranks to start them, right? Charles Kettering didn't invent the electric starter for vehicles until 1911...So depending upon the year, some of those vehicles might have been converted over to electric. As many car collectors do to avoid having to hand crank a vehicle.

In 1911, Charles F. Kettering, with Henry M. Leland, of Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (DELCO), invented and filed U.S. Patent 1,150,523 for an electric starter in America. (Kettering had replaced the hand crank on NCR's cash registers with an electric motor five years earlier.)

One aspect of the invention lay in the realization that a relatively small motor, driven with higher voltage and current than would be feasible for continuous operation, could deliver enough power to crank the engine for starting. At the voltage and current levels required, such a motor would burn out in a few minutes of continuous operation, but not during the few seconds needed to start the engine. The starters were first installed by Cadillac on production models in 1912, with the same system being adopted by Lanchester later that year.[3] These starters also worked as generators once the engine was running, a concept that is now being revived in hybrid vehicles.

Last edited:
You do realize these vehicles had cranks to start them, right? Charles Kettering didn't invent the electric starter for vehicles until 1911...So depending upon the year, some of those vehicles might have been converted over to electric. As many car collectors do to avoid having to hand crank a vehicle.

In 1911, Charles F. Kettering, with Henry M. Leland, of Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (DELCO), invented and filed U.S. Patent 1,150,523 for an electric starter in America. (Kettering had replaced the hand crank on NCR's cash registers with an electric motor five years earlier.)

One aspect of the invention lay in the realization that a relatively small motor, driven with higher voltage and current than would be feasible for continuous operation, could deliver enough power to crank the engine for starting. At the voltage and current levels required, such a motor would burn out in a few minutes of continuous operation, but not during the few seconds needed to start the engine. The starters were first installed by Cadillac on production models in 1912, with the same system being adopted by Lanchester later that year.[3] These starters also worked as generators once the engine was running, a concept that is now being revived in hybrid vehicles.

What does all this have to do with fully electric powered vehicles that date back to the mid 19th century, more than half a century before electric starter motors on gasoline engines. In fact, what is your point here anyway? @Nigel posts a screen shot of vintage cars with an amusing comment about where one might mount a dash cam on one and you basically seem to want to use that as an opportunity show everyone just how clever you are. How about sticking to the topic of A129 rear mounts instead of derailing yet another thread?

What does all this have to do with fully electric powered vehicles that date back to the mid 19th century, more than half a century before electric starter motors on gasoline engines. In fact, what is your point here anyway? @Nigel posts a screen shot of vintage cars with an amusing comment about where one might mount a dash cam on one and you basically seem to want to use that as an opportunity show everyone just how clever you are. How about sticking to the topic of A129 rear mounts instead of derailing yet another thread?

Actually, I made a witty comment about dash camera coming 100 yrs later, since those cars probably didnt even have electric starters....

Nigel chose to go off on a tangent....scroll up and read carefully...very carefully..

And then YOU had to post pictures and give us a full biography.. ...If anyone derailed thread, point at youself.

An

Actually, I made a witty comment about dash camera coming 100 yrs later, since those cars probably didnt even have electric starters....

Nigel chose to go off on a tangent....scroll up and read carefully...very carefully..

Not really too interested in your commentary, if you must know.

Please consider mounting on round roll over bar using curved adhesive mount.
Don't think a curved adhesive mount would work well, doubt it would stick, but could use an exhaust clamp around the bar and clamp a strip of Aluminium on the bottom and then stick the standard camera mount to that, could be solid enough not to suffer vibration while being long enough to get the camera in the right place.

off topic... what kind of car is that OP? Lotus? It looks pretty cool.

off topic... what kind of car is that OP? Lotus? It looks pretty cool.

way off topic, but it is my thread :)

yes it’s a Lotus, Elise S1 made in 2000, I’ve owned it for 9 years and have used it to drive to Italy each summer of those 9 years

at most places I stop (in Europe) I get people either looking at it or taking photos of it

for your entertainment :)

this clip was taken on the Amalfi coast in 2017 with the mini 0906 dual DVR

to St Bernard pass Switzerland a few years back, SJcam 4000 wifi

a few years earlier returning to the UK, in Italy driving to St Bernard pass. Blackvue GR500

going through St pass tunnel 2014, Blackvue GR500

France taking a diversion though a small French village 2017 mini 0906

France returning to UK min 0806 2015

From St Oyen Italy in to Switzerland 2013, cheap DVR

all these clips above have been edited and have had music added to the clips

this one below is the only one not edited and the music is coming out of the ICE and no editing to this clip it’s as it came out of the mini 0805

as I said these are for entertainment/enjoyment, great you like them but not an issue if they are not lked, thought some might fine them entertaining

Very cool car! Looks like she's taken you around the world and to some scenic locations.

Sadly our government nannies here don't want us to have such nice things as this :(

Some installs just require a custom-fabricated mount as nothing 'standard' will work. Luckily it's not hard to make something based on a metal bracket bent to shape and painted, or 3-D printed for top-level DIY :cool: Soon we'll have some options for water-resistant remote cams which might also help.

Phil

I have a different issue with the A129 rear camera mount but would also like to complain. ;)

I have a conventional, sloped rear window, so I didn't need a bracket or anything. My problem with the rear camera mount is that it is too loose. It is so loose that the camera inevitably sits slightly askew, due to the stiffness & weight of the connected cable.

Suggested fixes?

I have a different issue with the A129 rear camera mount but would also like to complain. ;)

I have a conventional, sloped rear window, so I didn't need a bracket or anything. My problem with the rear camera mount is that it is too loose. It is so loose that the camera inevitably sits slightly askew, due to the stiffness & weight of the connected cable.

Suggested fixes?
Is it inserted all the way onto the mount?

Back