A139 Pro: Failed to capture accident today, no recording from rear camera, but shows up in live view.

True, unfortunately don't think SD is going away anytime soon, they have announced more in the time since such as UHS-III, SD card express etc, and even higher with using NVMe PCI interfaces that SSDs use.

So theoretically up to 2 or 4GB/sec transfer speeds. Haven't seen any of these cards turn up for sale yet, even with the bigger SD cards.

Why that is, who knows. Could be companies moving to UFS or other standards to bypass it.

Edit: to add to this, found some articles saying where no one adopting it cos of CFexpress trying to dominate with the camera market. And Lexar and SanDisk had some prototypes of microSD Express cards, but they still haven't come to market.
Compact flash is more expensive. I don't see why these dashcam companies don't keep up with the times. Users don't want an easy to lose removable storage medium. you may think it is a good feature, yet it is proven time and time again that it is unnecessarily causing reliability issues, which is worse. a UFS storage medium with proper backup solution is all that is needed. Some can lean in on cloud storage but make it cheap by making it easy to run it off a car's wifi/phone hotspot. Having extra hardware to connect to wireless LTE/5G data is unnecessary expensive. There is little need to make a product much less appetizing to consumers. The margins may be larger with SD card as most dashcam manufacturers don't need to provide a SD Card and offer their own at a higher price because it is "tested with our stuff." even though there are reports from people having issues with their brand of SD card. All I see it do is cannibalize their profits by reducing the market pool to a lower and safe amount of people.
These companies should grow a pair and start taking a risk on offering a more appealing product to a larger market of people, which means they need to change their methods of advertising to be more inline with how Apple does it. I want them to lean in on UX instead of throwing specs at me and for me to be disappointed and frustrated at using the dashcam. however, because this is a hard pill to swallow, I will not hold my breath on seeing the dashcam market change. I will just live with my poor A139 pro and hope to get lucky that I will never need to use the thing as I will likely never remember to change the SD card to a new one.

Compact flash is more expensive. I don't see why these dashcam companies don't keep up with the times. Users don't want an easy to lose removable storage medium. you may think it is a good feature, yet it is proven time and time again that it is unnecessarily causing reliability issues, which is worse. a UFS storage medium with proper backup solution is all that is needed. Some can lean in on cloud storage but make it cheap by making it easy to run it off a car's wifi/phone hotspot. Having extra hardware to connect to wireless LTE/5G data is unnecessary expensive. There is little need to make a product much less appetizing to consumers. The margins may be larger with SD card as most dashcam manufacturers don't need to provide a SD Card and offer their own at a higher price because it is "tested with our stuff." even though there are reports from people having issues with their brand of SD card. All I see it do is cannibalize their profits by reducing the market pool to a lower and safe amount of people.
These companies should grow a pair and start taking a risk on offering a more appealing product to a larger market of people, which means they need to change their methods of advertising to be more inline with how Apple does it. I want them to lean in on UX instead of throwing specs at me and for me to be disappointed and frustrated at using the dashcam. however, because this is a hard pill to swallow, I will not hold my breath on seeing the dashcam market change. I will just live with my poor A139 pro and hope to get lucky that I will never need to use the thing as I will likely never remember to change the SD card to a new one.
Its honestly a loaded question. Pros and cons to both UFS and microSD and I don't see it changing anytime soon, but we could be wrong.

Back