A139 Pro recording in h.265

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, so you are misreading comments. I get it now.

Apparently, you are the troll here. You showed up here out of the blue yesterday looking to pick a fight with me because you disagree with my opinions and here you are still engaging in relentless picayune remarks and adolescent comments.

At the same time, you've offer no facts or logic to debate with me or present any thoughtful position of your own regarding HVEC vs H.264, only snide remarks and insults.

I didn't seek this dispute out in the first place, so I don't wanna keep arguing. I hope he finally goes away at this point.

Hello naruhodo.

naruhodo: "[...] even though I turned off the speed display in the Viofo app, apparently the GPS data captured in the video file includes vehicle speed info."

It´s simple mp4-files. In which metadata is the speed or the coordinates supposed to be stored? I know mp4 is a container-format but i looked at some non-GPS-files of mine with this and i cannot find any in the ballast. What happens when you shut down the coordinates? Does DCV still show the speed oO?

With all due respect, if you guys wanna keep arguing, would you mind taking it to PM or something so we could get back to discussing the topic at hand?
I'm sorry, as it completely ruins the thread when someone behaves like that guy, but if incorrect info is allowed to be spread unchallenged, then whats the point of helping others?

As an example, "can't open H.264 files" brings up MORE google hits than "can't open H.265 files". Its a meaningless statistic in its own right!

He jumped on the original poster too, which made him leave the thread. It was originally about h.265. Good luck to anyone trying to praise it, that's all I can say.

As it happens, I do have good luck, so once again to get it back on topic...........H.265 will mean the camera runs slightly warmer, but gives more space on your SD for footage, and "potentially" has better quality ("potentially" is because h.265 does give better quality, but I've not seen any hard evidence either way that the A139 makes use of it). If someone really is worried about other's not being able to view it, then dont use it, but for the majority, there's no downsides, only upsides.

I'm sorry, as it completely ruins the thread when someone behaves like that guy, but if incorrect info is allowed to be spread unchallenged, then whats the point of helping others?
It also ruins the thread when two guys in opposite corners of the boxing ring keep pointing the finger – subtly or directly – at each other, trying to have the last word ("someone behaves like that guy..."). You've both made your substantive points... especially after it's been made over and over by both. No further clarifications and especially no further challenges are necessary. Enough. Please.
-Bob

As an example, "can't open H.264 files" brings up MORE google hits than "can't open H.265 files". Its a meaningless statistic in its own right!

He jumped on the original poster too, which made him leave the thread. It was originally about h.265. Good luck to anyone trying to praise it, that's all I can say.

As it happens, I do have good luck, so once again to get it back on topic...........H.265 will mean the camera runs slightly warmer, but gives more space on your SD for footage, and "potentially" has better quality ("potentially" is because h.265 does give better quality, but I've not seen any hard evidence either way that the A139 makes use of it). If someone really is worried about other's not being able to view it, then dont use it, but for the majority, there's no downsides, only upsides.

Hard to believe you are still at this, but nobody should be surprised at this point.

Hard to believe you are still at this, but nobody should be surprised at this point.
Two guys in opposite corners of the boxing ring keep pointing the finger at each other, trying to have the last word ("Hard to believe you are still at this..."). I support Vortex Radar's suggestion... continue the argument out of sight in PMs. Enough. Please.
-Bob

The compulsion to use H.265 over H.264 is just another example of a kind of fetichism we often see over another piece of the newest, latest technology rather than the exercise of practicality and common sense for a mission critical purpose where someone expresses the notion that it is best to make files easy for literally anyone to open.

It is one thing to have a reasonable debate about such things but to suddenly show up in a thread out of nowhere and start insulting another member or disparage the county they live in with comments that have nothing to do with the subject at hand ("If the judicial system in the USA is really that bad that they can't play h.265 in this day and age, then god help you"................. ("IF that really can happen in the USA, then guns are not your biggest problem").

And this was in response to a thoughtful, considerate and factual post that received several likes.

So, please think about how and where this all started and how that member is still making provocative remarks like, "it completely ruins the thread when someone behaves "like that guy" as if he is some sort of innocent bystander.

Last edited:
Hello naruhodo.

It´s simple mp4-files. In which metadata is the speed or the coordinates supposed to be stored? I know mp4 is a container-format but i looked at some non-GPS-files of mine with this and i cannot find any in the ballast. What happens when you shut down the coordinates? Does DCV still show the speed oO?
Hi Müller,
That was a great idea to test... which I just did and got an interesting result. I turned off both the speed and coordinates in the Viofo app settings. In the video, neither speed nor coordinates are displayed. However, even though the display of both speed and coordinates is suppressed in the video display, those data must be included in the file anyway – DCV shows not only the speed and coordinates, but also my car's location on the Google Map.

See the attachment – no speed or coordinates in the video. So the Viofo app setting only affects the display in the video of the data being captured by the GPS.

Off topic: BTW, I like DCV, and think a lot of thought has gone into the software's features and its user interface.

-Bob

DCV Screenshot.png

The compulsion to use H.265 over H.264 is just another example of a kind of fetichism we often see over another piece of the newest, latest technology rather than the exercise of practicality and common sense for a mission critical purpose where someone expresses the notion that it is best to make files easy for literally anyone to open.

It is one thing to have a reasonable debate about such things but to suddenly show up in a thread out of nowhere and start insulting another member or disparage the county they live in with comments that have nothing to do with the subject at hand ("If the judicial system in the USA is really that bad that they can't play h.265 in this day and age, then god help you"................. ("IF that really can happen in the USA, then guns are not your biggest problem").

And this was in response to a thoughtful, considerate and factual post that received several likes.

So, please think about how and where this all started and how that member is still making provocative remarks like, "it completely ruins the thread when someone behaves "like that guy" as if he is some sort of innocent bystander.

Insulting and nothing to do with the subject in hand? You literally said yourself that the USA has a mix of old and new tech in departments. You gave an example about fatalities, and not being able to view the file would end in trouble. You said this, not me. If there is anyone here who truly thinks that an innocent person, going to prison for killing someone because the file couldn't be viewed on old technology, is ok.........well, thats bonkers!

Why you have this obsession with me USA bashing, when it is you who said the tech is old, I will never know lol. I can't believe I'm even explaining this, but, I have no problem with guns. I never said I did have a problem with guns. It's quite clear that the USA has a problem with them in whatever shape or form because its a hot topic (that doesn't mean I have a problem with them, or that the USA is the problem etc....jesus!!). It's a simple statement. If innocent people are going to jail because a PC is running old software (which I didnt think was possible, but you clearly alluded to as a possibility), then that definitely IS a bigger problem!!

I'll be jumped on for "having the last word" or whatever, and it's pretty obvious why my words are being twisted and branded as a "USA basher", but whatever. Think what you want to think if you're that insecure. If you truly think this is a USA vs UK thing (which is just crazy), then that's your problem. I didnt want to have to respond, but its not right to be branded with this nonsense publicly.

If allowed, I'll try and have a debate about your thread related comments:

The compulsion to use H.265 over H.264 is just another example of a kind of fetichism we often see over another piece of the newest, latest technology

H.265 is 10yrs old. Do we apply the same theory to HDMI ARC? Should we stick with VGA to be fully covered? This doesnt make sense?

Hello Bob.

naruhodo: "I turned off both the speed and coordinates in the Viofo app [...]. In the video, neither speed nor coordinates are displayed. However, [...] those data must be included in the file anyway – DCV shows not only the speed and coordinates, but also my car's location on the Google Map."

Then the generation and storing of both speed and coordinates has to be an undocumented silent process, always active, no matter speed or coordinates or both actually being displayed in the video, -> thus fooling the user in believing them actually OFF, i mean really really trustworthy OFF (if not displayed) ...

Which is alarming. Your dashcam´s stabbing you in the back ... OO!

So please finally test this: deactivate the GPS. By it´s button. Blue light -OFF-. What´s DCV now reporting?

Insulting and nothing to do with the subject in hand? You literally said yourself that the USA has a mix of old and new tech in departments. You gave an example about fatalities, and not being able to view the file would end in trouble. You said this, not me. If there is anyone here who truly thinks that an innocent person, going to prison for killing someone because the file couldn't be viewed on old technology, is ok.........well, thats bonkers!

Why you have this obsession with me USA bashing, when it is you who said the tech is old, I will never know lol. I can't believe I'm even explaining this, but, I have no problem with guns. I never said I did have a problem with guns. It's quite clear that the USA has a problem with them in whatever shape or form because its a hot topic (that doesn't mean I have a problem with them, or that the USA is the problem etc....jesus!!). It's a simple statement. If innocent people are going to jail because a PC is running old software (which I didnt think was possible, but you clearly alluded to as a possibility), then that definitely IS a bigger problem!!

I'll be jumped on for "having the last word" or whatever, and it's pretty obvious why my words are being twisted and branded as a "USA basher", but whatever. Think what you want to think if you're that insecure. If you truly think this is a USA vs UK thing (which is just crazy), then that's your problem. I didnt want to have to respond, but its not right to be branded with this nonsense publicly.

If allowed, I'll try and have a debate about your thread related comments:

H.265 is 10yrs old. Do we apply the same theory to HDMI ARC? Should we stick with VGA to be fully covered? This doesnt make sense?

You are sounding irrational and hysterical at this point. Try to get a grip on yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back