A139 Pro SD Card?

Tr0ji

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all, I received my cam recently and I purchased a new SD card. Previously had a Samsung Pro endurance (black, white and red) and upgraded to the newer Samsung pro endurance (white and blue) only to see that the Viofo website doesn't recommend it. Thinking of getting a Sandisk Extreme card. Is it an issue or should it be fine?

Thanks!

I'd just try the one you got and see how it works out.

I'm currently testing a Western Digital Purple 1TB micro SD - was a pain to get it to format but seems okay now.

Yep in my A139PRO.

It came formatted in exFAT, which I formatted into FAT32 using the blackvue app on a windows 10 PC and used it in my mirror dashcam for a few days (that thing is only rated for a 128GB card) worked fine there but wanted to get it in my A139PRO as that will fill it faster as I want to see how its write performance is after it's been filled with data (it tests @ 70+MBps new)

Transferred it directly to my A139PRO and it would just boot loop with no chance to try a reformat. Reformatted it in the Blackvue app and same result - but I had removed the volume name 'BLACKVUE' which that app puts on a newly formatted card. Tried it again later without removing the volume name and the A139PRO recognised the card without boot looping.

Hand to try reformatting twice in the A139PRO to get it formatted in the dashcam - 1st attempt seemed to unmount the card, 2nd worked and is now recording correctly. Strange thing is if I pull the card and connect it to my windows 10 laptop it reports that it is formatted as an exFAT volume (not FAT32), seems very big cards may get formatted as exFAT by the A139pro.

I'm waiting for my A139 Pro to arrive. The support page mentions some specific cards they recommend as well as some that are not recommended: https://viofo.com/content/75-A139-Pro-Support/ (see the FAQ "What card to use in A139 PRO?"). I suspect it doesn't really matter but I went ahead and purchased the "recommended" SanDisk MaxEndurance card.

WPS%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87(1).jpeg

I'm waiting for my A139 Pro to arrive. The support page mentions some specific cards they recommend as well as some that are not recommended: https://viofo.com/content/75-A139-Pro-Support/ (see the FAQ "What card to use in A139 PRO?"). I suspect it doesn't really matter but I went ahead and purchased the "recommended" SanDisk MaxEndurance card.
Viofo's list appears to be ones they 100% know work or don't work, rather then a definitive list of every card out there. Which is fine by me, I like to try other things and can really use the extra capacity in both the systems in my work vehicle.

Just checked my WD 256GB card, it was also formatted by the A139pro as exFAT - no argument from me there FAT32 is said to be a bit flaky for higher capacities but a surprise since the traditional advise was to format cards as FAT32.

Hello FrankMCN.

FrankMCN: [...] checked my WD 256GB card, it was also formatted by the A139pro as exFAT [...]

Confirmed. 128 here. exFat.

Hi all,

I’ve ordered this camera for my father and now looking for the right card.

I’m probably being stupid here, but surely their recommended max of 512Gb is only going to provide a few hours of 4k footage?

What setting have you out yours at to achieve the best balance of quality and max amount of time recorded please?

I'm currently testing a Western Digital Purple 1TB micro SD - was a pain to get it to format but seems okay now.
May I ask, is your 1TB card still working with your A139 Pro and it's using its full capacity? Sounds like it's worth the hassle if it does!

The biggest storage the A139Pro can support is 512GB. :giggle:
Thank you, I understand that's the official guidance, but FrankMCN apparently was able to use a 1TB card. Hence I'd still like him to confirm that it was formatted using the full capacity, and still working as (un)expected after a few months of his claim. Would definitely not want to spend over £200 on a card that I wouldn't be able to use to its full potential, or at all, but there seems a chance for it to be possible.

May I ask, is your 1TB card still working with your A139 Pro and it's using its full capacity? Sounds like it's worth the hassle if it does!
Still working, last I checked. I need to pull it out and have a good look - it must have been through a
Thank you, I understand that's the official guidance, but FrankMCN apparently was able to use a 1TB card. Hence I'd still like him to confirm that it was formatted using the full capacity, and still working as (un)expected after a few months of his claim. Would definitely not want to spend over £200 on a card that I wouldn't be able to use to its full potential, or at all, but there seems a chance for it to be possible.
Sorry, thought i replied last night - must have not posted it.

Working as far as I can tell, its in my work van so getting a lot of use. I do need to pull it out and check its okay but no known issues so far.

Quick update, 1TB WD Purple working fine, no abnormal behaviour in the fine storage and all cameras recording correctly. Don't know how many cycles the card has been through but its been quite a few as as far as I can tell - read/write test comes out at 96/74MB/s

If your bitrate is set to max (60mbps), you should get around 19hrs on a 512GB memory card before it starts to overwrite.
Yes I can confirm if you record all the time. 4K not max bitrate but high with rear camera it's giving me something around 20ish hours. Very disappointed and wish to use 1TB.

Would anyone else like to comment if they could get a 1TB working? I wonder if Frank got lucky and maybe it's a hit or miss.
Is there any other way to save storage from dash cam??? Perhaps opening up the cam and connecting wires to another device like SSD or a raspberry to offload the files to larger storage... I have the triple channel and I have only connect 2 and set to high not max. Very disappointed that I forgot to save some stuff but went to look at it and found out it's gone after about 20 hours. Yes my fault not VIOFO. I'm lucky Tesla accepts 1TB so I was able to see something. VIOFO should post recording hours of triple cam. I might have not bought it or returned it. Buy a cheaper lower quality 2K and stick a 512GB so I can record at least 48 hours for a peace of mind. I guess once I plug in 3rd cam, I'll get 15 hours max. That means drive to work in morning something happens. I am thinking of work. Go to sleep. Next morning I wake up and drive home to only remember I should have pulled footage from cam. Sorry Viofo but I feel like you failed to deliver a good product without better compression codec and no 1TB support.

Would anyone else like to comment if they could get a 1TB working? I wonder if Frank got lucky and maybe it's a hit or miss.
Is there any other way to save storage from dash cam??? Perhaps opening up the cam and connecting wires to another device like SSD or a raspberry to offload the files to larger storage... I have the triple channel and I have only connect 2 and set to high not max. Very disappointed that I forgot to save some stuff but went to look at it and found out it's gone after about 20 hours. Yes my fault not VIOFO. I'm lucky Tesla accepts 1TB so I was able to see something. VIOFO should post recording hours of triple cam. I might have not bought it or returned it. Buy a cheaper lower quality 2K and stick a 512GB so I can record at least 48 hours for a peace of mind. I guess once I plug in 3rd cam, I'll get 15 hours max. That means drive to work in morning something happens. I am thinking of work. Go to sleep. Next morning I wake up and drive home to only remember I should have pulled footage from cam. Sorry Viofo but I feel like you failed to deliver a good product without better compression codec and no 1TB support.
You don't have the right information. The camera supports the H.265 codec. I've tried and gone back again. The space saving is not great - about 10% and there may be a playback compatibility issue when handing it over to the police.

Hidden feature alert! Something I had missed before is the option to adjust the codec the camera uses to build the files. By default the camera uses h.264, but if you stop recording and then hold the mic button for 2 seconds until it beeps it switches the camera to using h.265. The main benefit you will see with h.265 are smaller file sizes for the same quality video.
===============

How is your Purple going?

Back