A229 And A119 Mini comparison vids and more

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Numerous and ever-changing
Unfortunately when I moved the Yeecore d21 it had a powering problem so I will have to add it later. I was finally able to get 'Avidemux' downloaded and working but haven't edited these yet. When I do that I will swap these vids for coordinated ones. Links to the raw files will be under each vid. Also sorry about the rear cams not being mirrored but at least both are that way!

A229 front
Raw file A229 front

A229 rear
Raw file A229 rear

A119 Mini
Raw file A119 Mini

A139 front w/CPL
Raw files A139front w/CPL

A139 rear
Raw files A139 rear

Garmin57
Raw files Garmin 57

Last edited:
Just read a bit of nice news, well at least for us oldies.
Us oldie / gearheads will remember the International Harvester scout from the 70 ties, which challenged the jeeps ASO of the time, well VW have a plan to make a sweet all electric 4x4 / SUV and name it Scout like the old classic.

I hope we will get some weather like that soon, even if each and every Danish farmer are prayinbg for rain, CUZ even if we have not had much sun it is still unusual dry here.

Fixed- thanks!
I've moved my CPL over to the A229 and installed one on the Mini- I will drive that same road soon for comparison. I thinkthe power issue for the Yeecore is also fixed, so that one will be here soon too I hope.

Phil

Doesn't the lens on the rear camera need to be tilted a little lower? :unsure:
I will check that. The A139 rear cam is lashed to a thick wire as I had no other way to get a view through the glass. The wire is easily bent by design so that cargo being loaded or shifting doesn't break the cam. The A229 cam mounts on the glass of the other door closer to center.

Phil

In my opinion, there is too much sky on the video from the rear camera.

Last edited:
In my car the front A229 camera, i have to push the lens all the way down to the lowest possible setting, and then go one click back, and it is not a particular slanted windscreen on my little car.
BUT ! This is nice and convenient when you have had the camera off and need to make sure alignment are still good, even if the system also have nice firm clicks to it.

I am going to put a CPL on the rear camera too tomorrow, i can do that while my 2 dive tanks get pumped up to 200 and 300 BAR

I did a quick test of the Motion Detect and it senses from both front and rear cams. I'll check it's sensitivity settings and the g-sensor soon, possibly tomorrow. I've re-aimed the rear cam so that should be good for another round of videos which I'll post here.

I've taken the T130 and the Garmin 57 out of service. I had a B2K mounted high left on the windshield pointing toward the rear out the driver's door glass and moved the Garmin Mini2 to the same position on the other side using the mount from the 57. With the side cams further back and the many front and rear cams I now have very good coverage in all directions though not complete yet. Counting lenses there's now 11 in use :cool:

Phil

In my car the front A229 camera, i have to push the lens all the way down to the lowest possible setting, and then go one click back, and it is not a particular slanted windscreen on my little car.
Interesting. That could be a problem for cars like mine with a shallow slope windscreen. I recall I had the T130 lens aimed down as far as it would go, and even then it was a bit higher than I preferred.

Interesting. That could be a problem for cars like mine with a shallow slope windscreen. I recall I had the T130 lens aimed down as far as it would go, and even then it was a bit higher than I preferred.
I'm about to head to work but I'll measure the mounting angle limits today.

Phil

Changed the thread name to better match the content ;) Vids later tonight, but for now-

MEASURED MOUNTING ANGLES- base reference is horizontal (level) and I'm checking lens angle- you will need a little more downward aim in use.

A229 with or without CPL: from 20 degrees above horizontal to 78 degrees above horizontal.
Good for highly sloped windshields but upright ones like trucks, RV's and Jeeps may have a lower than optimum aim out-of-the-box*. Rear cam is 360 degrees.
*There are posts on these forums showing how to mount with wedges to adapt cams to almost any windshield slope.

A119 Mini without CPL: from 3 degrees above horizontal to 95 degrees above and past horizontal.
Good for all windshields and even vertical glass.

A119 Mini w/CPL: from 3 degrees above horizontal to 85 degrees above horizontal.
The CPL slightly interferes with adjustment in one direction making aim a bit low on vertical glass.

Phil

PS- No vids tonight. Not sure what happened but today neither the A139 or the A229 were recording o_O Card test time...
PPS:- I feel stupid :( The problem wasn't the cams or cards but the viewing platform which had saved files showing my driveway, and it wanted to play them first before showing the one I wanted to see which led me to thing the cams weren't recording. Well at least I now know for sure the cards are OK and I'll get some recordings today.

Last edited:
.The CPL slightly interferes with adjustment in one direction making aim a bit low on vertical glass..
A CPL will not remove reflections on vertical glass, so would only help with seeing through other peoples windows.

That is why i have CPL on my rear camera, that is on a vertical and almost flat glass.
I have never compared to a camera with no CPL even if it have been possible now and then, but just looking in the mirror some car windscreen its like looking at a mirror angled 45 degrees as all i see is the sky.
If someone hit me while on the phone, i would like to be able to help with them getting a mark on the license for that and the associated fine of course.

A close call today taken with the A229. No front plates here in SC USA but the rear cam got it crisp and clear!

There are always 3 cars you need to watch out for while driving on the road:
1.) Jeep drivers. (Self explanatory)
2.) BMW drivers. (Self explanatory)
3.) Nissan Rogue drivers. (These are the people that never clean snow or ice of their hood, roof, rear windshield, or other parts of their car)

Umm...Why are some of the front cams(A119 and A139) only coming up with 1080P as the maximum quality option to play the video and not view them in 2K?

I just loaded the videos- youtube takes time before they play in full resolution. It might also be something with 'avidemux' ; this is the first time I've posted anything using it and I did change the format to ".mov"

Phil

Back