A229 Plus first info

VVondervvall

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 plus 2ch + 3 ch
Not a single thread in this new section yet, so here a little kickstart...

Litte bit in the shadow of the PRO launch, there is also the upgrade of the DUO, the PLUS which remains 2k+2k, but now both front AND rear with Starvis 2 IMX675, and with an optional 3rd channel interior cam upgraded also to a 2MP IMX307.

More info here: Thread 'VIOFO A229 Pro / Plus - Testing / Review - RCG' https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a229-pro-plus-testing-review-rcg.49777/

And borrowed from there:
Feature_Comparison_Page_1.png

Feel free to add in this thread any new info on this new model. Until @Panzer Platform and @rcg530 post their review threads looking forward to those...

Last edited:
Bit more personal. Didn’t know this existed so pre-ordered the PRO. Then I learned about the plus, and as I really liked the performance of the MINI 2 I thought the plus would be good enough for 2/3 of the (launch) price of the PRO, where I live rear quality is just as important as front so makes sense to go 2k+2k.
But these A229 has a bit slower lenses then the mini2/A139 2k, hoping these are a bit sharper at the edges?
Anyhow, I pre-ordered two so hoping this model is good :D

Last edited:
A229Duo can't record 2160(F). Only 1440(F)+1440(R) or 1080(F)+1080(R) is supported.

My plus's have shipped. Hope they arrive soon!
Not gonna jump in the pro delivery thread, rather note here that my shipping showed it wasn't picked up at Viofo yesterday, and this morning I got a notification it will arrive in two days. That's a one week delivery time if it shows up on Friday!

Not gonna jump in the pro delivery thread, rather note here that my shipping showed it wasn't picked up at Viofo yesterday, and this morning I got a notification it will arrive in two days. That's a one week delivery time if it shows up on Friday!
Alright keep it in your pants mate haha

Lol, I only checked because of all those old geezers freaking out in the Pro thread. Us Plus folks (me?) are much more chill :cool: ;)

Lol, I only checked because of all those old geezers freaking out in the Pro thread. Us Plus folks (me?) are much more chill :cool: ;)
We need the Pro to compensate for something else LOL

BTW, I haven't been out first with pre-ordered dashcams. Do I just run them as is and update the FW when there is a public update available? Or is these some kind of Beta programme?

BTW, I haven't been out first with pre-ordered dashcams. Do I just run them as is and update the FW when there is a public update available? Or is these some kind of Beta programme?
I'd say just wait til the firmware updates show up on Viofo's website. The beta program is technically just for pre production units that testers get, not general public.

Viofo will probably start an A229 Plus Firmware thread soon, where he will post pre-release firmwares that need a little testing before they go on their website as public firmware updates. Those are the ones to use.

At the moment people are still using beta/prototype firmwares, which are not available to purchasers, and although you may be able to acquire them, they may just be test versions for specific people to test specific issues and be worse than the public firmwares on other things, so I don't recommend using those.

Always test with the supplied firmware before you update anything, to make sure there are no hardware issues in your specific dashcam.

Installed mine. Two cars, one 2 and one 3 channel. No time for reviewing etc but can check stuff if anybody asks on the next upcoming drive.

FW* seems fine to me so far (very shallow assessment - average consumer wise), except I do not seem to get any confirmation when I press the lock file button. And voice control seems to work suprisingly well.

* V1.0_230922;V1.0_230928

Not happy with HDR at night, licence plates appear like they are being processed to lower exposure (good) but they look like someone blanked them with tippex.
New firmware should improve this.
@viofo

Last edited:
Not happy with HDR at night
I checked HDR performance with the "new" 1009 firmware update;

Since you're a paying customer you may want to submit a support ticket to voice your displeasure, or at least tag Viofo to your post.

Not happy with HDR at night, licence plates appear like they are being processed to lower exposure (good) but they look like someone blanked them with tippex.
New firmware should improve this.
@viofo
Need to balance the bright and HDR exposure.

We will still keep optimizing.

Getting quite random reminders (x5 thereabouts) to format the SD car on both cams/cars - reminder is set at 30 days which haven't passed yet since installing. Is this a bug or is there a reason for triggering this warning? @viofo

Getting quite random reminders (x5 thereabouts) to format the SD car on both cams/cars - reminder is set at 30 days which haven't passed yet since installing. Is this a bug or is there a reason for triggering this warning? @viofo
You can try with another card. Sometimes if the card condition is not very good, it will also ask for formatting.

You can try with another card. Sometimes if the card condition is not very good, it will also ask for formatting.
Both are your Viofo 128GB cards...

Back