A229 Pro 4k Bitrates

Grafixman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just received the A220 Pro and I am not getting what the settings have are. Front & rear cameras set to max resolution. HDR is on. However even with the front set to 4K, the actual recording is only 1920 x 1080.

Played around with the 4 bitrates and all give the same video quality. Only thing that changes is the file size increases. Maybe I have dead unit?

Just received the A220 Pro and I am not getting what the settings have are. Front & rear cameras set to max resolution. HDR is on. However even with the front set to 4K, the actual recording is only 1920 x 1080.

Played around with the 4 bitrates and all give the same video quality. Only thing that changes is the file size increases. Maybe I have dead unit?
Sounds odd to me.

A couple of steps to take:
Restart the camera after changes are made
Restart the app after changes are made
When all else fails reset the Dashcam to its defaults.

Please try to reset the camera to default settings, there is a setting in the menu.

I have have read somewhere that with HDR on it will not give 4K. If true, then why use HDR? Same may be true for bitrate selection. HDR may override other settings I have made. If true, firmware should be updated not to show false settings.

I have have read somewhere that with HDR on it will not give 4K. If true, then why use HDR? Same may be true for bitrate selection. HDR may override other settings I have made. If true, firmware should be updated not to show false settings.
Have you reset the camera? What was your result?

If you own this unit you would be able to prove it does or doesn't alter resolution with hdr on or off.

My experience it doesn't alter resolution.

Here are the properties 4K vs 2K. interesting 2K has more pixels in the frame height.

Attachments

• 2K properties.PNG
    2K properties.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 4K properties.PNG
    4K properties.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 12
Here are the properties 4K vs 2K. interesting 2K has more pixels in the frame height.
If you configured that using the phone app, then maybe the phone app needs updating.
Maybe the firmware needs updating.

The file labeled by you as 2K is a 4K file at 16:9 aspect ratio.
The file labeled by you as 4K is a 4K file at 21:9 aspect ratio - probably the best image quality available.

That is interesting. I configured as this shows in the pic. How can 2K be 4 K? Sorry to be such a pain. Thankful for you input.

Attachments

• 2K setting.jpg
    2K setting.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 4K setting.jpg
    4K setting.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 19
That is interesting. I configured as this shows in the pic. How can 2K be 4 K? Sorry to be such a pain. Thankful for you input.
2160P30 is 4K resolution, it is giving you what you requested.

If you want 2K resolution, then you need to select 1440P30.

Maybe Viofo could improve the menus to make this more clear for people who do not know the details!

Translation:
4K 16:9 + 2K 16:9​
4K 21:9 + 2K 21:9​
2K 16:9 + 2K 16:9​
FHD 16:9 + FHD 16:9​

Helpful
I think the read camera can only run at 2K. Still a bit lost on how to configure that.

I tested being able to read license plates in day and night conditions. Unless I was no more than 4 feet away it wouldn't be legible. I had read HDR can be the issue.

I think the read camera can only run at 2K. Still a bit lost on how to configure that.
In "4K 21:9 + 2K 21:9", the "4K" is the front resolution, the "2K" is the rear resolution, yes the rear is 2K maximum, while the front is 4K maximum.

I tested being able to read license plates in day and night conditions. Unless I was no more than 4 feet away it wouldn't be legible. I had read HDR can be the issue.
It should be able to see a lot further than 4' !
If that is really how far it can see, post an image so that we can see what you are talking about...

At night, HDR gives a big improvement.
In daylight HDR off is often a bit better, that is why the is an HDR Auto setting, to automatically turn HDR on at night.

Yes, A229 Pro has a 4K front and 2K rear camera says it on the box ;) If you want the best quality this kit provides chose the top setting 2160P30+1440P30 (4K front + 2K rear) chose Maximum bitrate in Bitrate settings and try disabling HDR for day running you can set it to turn on HDR for the night only which as I understand is preferred.

I posted the video with a link but there is a message that says, "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors." That was 6 hours ago.

I did take the setting for HDR and changed it from on to automatic? It defaults to a preset time for on and off rather than evaluate if it is dark outside and if the image could be improved. Maybe a step into ai would make that happen for being truly automatic.

Here is a photo of the front cam. As you can when zooming in the plate is not readable. Possibly since I found something in the manual that show the front camera only will produce 3840 x 2160 30fps, but if front + rear are active this gets reduced to 2160. So with both front & rear cameras on the quality is reduced quite a bit.

Another thing I have seen is jittering with a vehicle passing by. Could be the result of 30fps and not 60fps as some other dash cams offer.

Looking forward to your comments for a newcomer updating from an old Hero 4.

Attachments

• 2024_0904_094019_00055F.JPG
    2024_0904_094019_00055F.JPG
    405.9 KB · Views: 16
Here is a photo of the front cam. As you can when zooming in the plate is not readable. Possibly since I found something in the manual that show the front camera only will produce 3840 x 2160 30fps, but if front + rear are active this gets reduced to 2160. So with both front & rear cameras on the quality is reduced quite a bit.

Another thing I have seen is jittering with a vehicle passing by. Could be the result of 30fps and not 60fps as some other dash cams offer.

Looking forward to your comments for a newcomer updating from an old Hero 4.
As we mentioned a multiple times now 2160 is 4K. I don’t know where did you saw in the manual that if you use front and rear camera’s resolution is reduced? Can you post a screenshot? You can use front and back together at 4K+2K top setting in resolution menu.

Do you have a CPL filter on the front camera? If so make sure protective film is removed from it.

Possibly since I found something in the manual that show the front camera only will produce 3840 x 2160 30fps, but if front + rear are active this gets reduced to 2160. So with both front & rear cameras on the quality is reduced quite a bit.
Only the bitrate drops when connecting a cabin camera. The resolution remains unchanged regardless of the number of cameras.

2160P is 4K, that is, 3840x2160P.
And if you look at the instructions, then in all four points there is a resolution: 2160P

You will find a lot of answers in the thread I created, also a lot of recommendations to try so I suggest you read through it it’s titled Licence plate readability, is this normal?

Back