A229 Pro Overheating

Try the scroll bar, there is a good selection of music, silence, talking, indicators clicking...

A229 Pro has the microphone in the main unit, whichever stream you are watching.

I didn't watch the entire video due to the limited bandwidth out where I live.

The video footage I did watch was interior footage of the cabin.

I'll see what I can do.

I did get to see most of the video except for the last 25% or so when an "error occurred" message popped up for some unexplained reason (probably my crappy internet connectivity). I am wondering why you presented interior video rather than front facing video from the main cabin, but perhaps it doesn't matter.

I can certainly hear the fan but it seemed more or less tolerable, although it is a bit hard to tell. I think it might drive me a bit crazy over time but it seems to work ok. This is the most quiet DIY dash cam fan install I've seen. Nice job @ductt !

VIOFO has supplied a test firmware (v1.3_20240522) for the A229 Pro front camera. VIOFO wants to see if my A229 Pro still turns off with that firmware installed. I'll know later this week when I go on my weekly drive with that car.

Friday, I drove my car on my weekly shopping trip route. The outside temperature was in the middle 70sF. The A229 Pro did not shutdown during Friday's drive. The last parking mode session had a passenger compartment temperature of 109F when I returned to my car. I used awk and grep commands to look for newly added 'TmpVaue' log messages in the zmd.log file. The unique ‘TmpVaue’ values from Friday’s log entries ranged from 101 to 117 (assuming Celsius).

Here’s a list of the unique TmpVaue values sorted numeric ascending order:

Front Camera FW: v1.3_240522
Rear Camera FW: v1.3_240514

I've provided the dmesg.log and zmd.log files from the A229 Pro dash camera to VIOFO. Warmer weather returns in the next week.

Does this firmware provide dmesg output? Or can it be enabled with the standard firmware as well? (Just curious about the output).

If these temps are in Celsius, than it is boiling hot in the cam!:eek:

101-117 is the on-chip temp, and the housing temp is less than 10-15 deg C. It's very hot and the lost focus/degradation will occur soon.

Does this firmware provide dmesg output? Or can it be enabled with the standard firmware as well? (Just curious about the output).

If these temps are in Celsius, than it is boiling hot in the cam!:eek:
I believe the standard firmware can have logging enabled. To enable logging, simply create an empty file with the name of "log" at the root of the memory card file system (root directory). I believe the latest test firmware I was provided had extra temp logging entries added to it.

Today, I drove my weekly shopping trip route. The outdoor temps were in the mid to upper 80sF/30C. That's about 10F/5C warmer than last week's temps. The passenger compartment reached a max of 112F/44C (according to my cheap thermometer in my car's lower center console area.

The A229 Pro did not shutdown during the entire multi-hour drive! It has not shutdown since the most recent v1.3 test firmware (with extra temperature logging statements) was installed. I sent today's log files to VIOFO to review.

Last edited:
Today, I drove my weekly shopping trip route. The outdoor temps were in the mid to upper 80sF/30C. That's about 10F/5C warmer than last week's temps. The passenger compartment reached a max of 112F/44C (according to my cheap thermometer in my car's lower center console area.

The A229 Pro did not shutdown during the entire multi-hour drive! It has not shutdown since the most recent v1.3 test firmware (with extra temperature logging statements) was installed. I sent today's log files to VIOFO to review.
Those figures you originally posted have to be Fahrenheit.
124F (51c) is still cool for a micro processor
with the correct cooling.

It will be interesting what they find.

Friday, I drove with the v1.3 logging/beta firmware installed but logging disabled per a suggestion from VIOFO. The A229 Pro worked well during the 3 hour 30 minute drive (mixture of driving and parking mode sessions).

The BlackVue DR970X-2CH is the dash camera that had "HT" (high temp) problems. During the last parking mode session (about 3 hours into the trip), the DR970X started showing "HT" in the status line. When I returned to the car and started driving, the DR970X returned to normal recording mode for about 1-minute and it then shut itself down for about 13 minutes. The DR970X powered itself up again once it had cooled down. The temperature in the passenger compartment was 112F/44C when I returned to the car and started the engine and AC. The outside temp was 86F/30C. So far, with the updated 1.3 firmware installed, the A229 Pro 2CH (rear) dash camera has survived the three most recent driving trips in the heat.

A second VIOFO A229 Pro 2CH (Rear) installation in my wife's car had what is suspected to be a thermal shutdown event take place. Last Wednesday, she drove her car to work and parked outside in the employee parking lot. It was a warm day with high temps in the lower 90sF. At 12:00 PM, the A229 Pro shut itself down. That A229 Pro had v1.2_240227 front and v1.0_231207 rear firmware installed. VIOFO recommended I install the same same 1.3 firmware versions that I have installed in the test camera in my car into the cameras in my wife's car. I installed those firmware updates into the A229 Pro 2CH in my wife's car. She won't drive the car until Wednesday to see if it made any difference. That day is forecast to be warm/hot one as well.

Friday, I drove with the v1.3 logging/beta firmware installed but logging disabled per a suggestion from VIOFO. The A229 Pro worked well during the 3 hour 30 minute drive (mixture of driving and parking mode sessions).

The BlackVue DR970X-2CH is the dash camera that had "HT" (high temp) problems. During the last parking mode session (about 3 hours into the trip), the DR970X started showing "HT" in the status line. When I returned to the car and started driving, the DR970X returned to normal recording mode for about 1-minute and it then shut itself down for about 13 minutes. The DR970X powered itself up again once it had cooled down. The temperature in the passenger compartment was 112F/44C when I returned to the car and started the engine and AC. The outside temp was 86F/30C. So far, with the updated 1.3 firmware installed, the A229 Pro 2CH (rear) dash camera has survived the three most recent driving trips in the heat.

A second VIOFO A229 Pro 2CH (Rear) installation in my wife's car had what is suspected to be a thermal shutdown event take place. Last Wednesday, she drove her car to work and parked outside in the employee parking lot. It was a warm day with high temps in the lower 90sF. At 12:00 PM, the A229 Pro shut itself down. That A229 Pro had v1.2_240227 front and v1.0_231207 rear firmware installed. VIOFO recommended I install the same same 1.3 firmware versions that I have installed in the test camera in my car into the cameras in my wife's car. I installed those firmware updates into the A229 Pro 2CH in my wife's car. She won't drive the car until Wednesday to see if it made any difference. That day is forecast to be warm/hot one as well.
please keep us update on wify's car !! ....

any news on when will FW 1.3 gonna be out of beta and became offical ?

I've not been told any specific dates for the official release of the v1.3 firmware. VIOFO is out of the office until 11-June-2024 for the Chinese Dragon Boat Festival.

Reactions: z24
I want to go to a Chinese Dragon Boat Festival

I want to go to a Chinese Dragon Boat Festival
You are in London?

We have quite a few dragon boat events in the UK, everyone welcome, and it can be quite easy to take part in the racing.

Last edited:
@viofo 1.jpg that's a Huge long boat. Why is a person holding a tree in the middle!

Which boat are you in Bill? Oh I see you you're the drummer up front lol.

@viofo 1.jpg that's a Huge long boat. Why is a person holding a tree in the middle!

Which boat are you in Bill? Oh I see you you're the drummer up front lol.
The tree is for praying good luck.
I didn't join this event, just share photos from our hometown, most cities in China have similar events.

The tree is for praying good luck.
I didn't join this event, just share photos from our hometown, most cities in China have similar events.
Thank you for sharing.

please keep us update on wify's car !! ....

My wife drove her car to work today. The outside temps reached the upper 90sF/35C at her work location. The A229 Pro 2CH (with rear camera) running the v1.3 beta in the rear camera and the front running a v1.3 test/logging firmware (logging disabled) survived the entire day in the heat (08:39 AM to 05:22 PM) in time-lapse parking mode.

Back